ottothedog
new member
- Joined
- Dec 18, 2017
- Messages
- 15
- Age
- 70
- Gender
- Male
- Country
United States
Dear Jboles, Lovestocookandsew, and others -
Please excuse my late response. For those who have had these similar experiences, I do sympathize. I am glad to see this message (that metal allergies are both "real" and do exist in large numbers) finally getting out... and even saw that latest "should you get a tested for a metals allergy before surgery ?" newsletter article sent out by Bonesmart.
It was interesting to read Dr. Stephen Tower's (an orthopedic surgeon) own experience with a hip replacement. He has a very serious chromium allergy. Now he has made THAT a focus of his practice and will only install hypoallergenic prosthetic replacement joints.
In my case... a new TKR is going to be installed by literally THE most respected surgeon in the state - who will not actually "admit" (says this is a sort of "gray area") metal allergies exist and are a problem, but ONLY uses a hypoallergenic prosthetic for his revisions. I believe he has decided to take the possibility of a metal allergy out of the equation when doing revisions.
My intent is that people can learn and avoid what I've been through - and help others to do the same.
My best (all),
John
Please excuse my late response. For those who have had these similar experiences, I do sympathize. I am glad to see this message (that metal allergies are both "real" and do exist in large numbers) finally getting out... and even saw that latest "should you get a tested for a metals allergy before surgery ?" newsletter article sent out by Bonesmart.
It was interesting to read Dr. Stephen Tower's (an orthopedic surgeon) own experience with a hip replacement. He has a very serious chromium allergy. Now he has made THAT a focus of his practice and will only install hypoallergenic prosthetic replacement joints.
In my case... a new TKR is going to be installed by literally THE most respected surgeon in the state - who will not actually "admit" (says this is a sort of "gray area") metal allergies exist and are a problem, but ONLY uses a hypoallergenic prosthetic for his revisions. I believe he has decided to take the possibility of a metal allergy out of the equation when doing revisions.
My intent is that people can learn and avoid what I've been through - and help others to do the same.
My best (all),
John
Last edited by a moderator: