@Cynthia777 We drove the 2 hours the morning of the surgery because my check-in time was at 10am. We left 3 hours early from our home in case of traffic. My surgery didn't start until after noon (12:45). On the way home I sat/lay down in the back seat. I have a subaru outback, not a huge car, sat with legs elevated on the way home. The good news is, is that my leg/hip didn't hurt at all. The bad news is, is that a threw up a bunch from all the meds. So, be sure to have a bag with you. I did have the one the hospital provided in the trunk of my car, which of course didn't do any good when my husband was in the front seat driving and I couldn't reach it. I did have a plastic bag, thank goodness! So, see how your meds go-I wasn't nauseated until the second day in the evening and in fact ordered too spicy of food on the hospital menu which I think was the beginning of my problems~!
@LaylaHips
Oh dear! I'm VERY happy that you mentioned the barf bag! I could see it now...on the 5 Freeway in bumper to bumper traffic and having to open the car door, ridding myself of the hospital food right in the carpool lane!
I am so glad you asked this question. I also have a 2 hour drive through mountains. I never thought of a barf bag. I guess I'll do a few trials to see the best options. I have an SUV so maybe I could put one seat down in the back and stretch out my leg. But there will be lots of twists and turns as we go through the mountain passes. I had been concerned about potty stops and found a restroom that was outside where we can almost drive up and my husband can go in with me.
@ploganea
I'd be in BIG doo-doo, if mountain curves were part of my journey home!!!! I most certainly will think of you and your curvy drive home if I'm using Mr. Barf Bag on my drive home!
@Cynthia777, Quartz Hill is a trek, we used to live in Valencia and my husband worked in Lancaster. He loved the drive up San Francisquito Canyon every day. Those were the good old days! Is your hospital in L.A.? Hope that you are able to leave in the middle of the day instead of rush hour!
@LaylaHips
Small world! Yes, that drive is beautiful. I moved here from Canyon Country (Sand Cyn. area). I'm actually having surgery in Irvine, about an hour and a half to two hour drive. Nowadays there's no beating the traffic, as the freeways are always congested (however, during rush hour it could be a three hour drive). I'm actually going to speak to the surgeon and hospital regarding the time of discharge, so we can hopefully avoid as much traffic as possible. My nephew moved from here to Washington! I bet you just love it there!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.