Guest viewing is limited

TKR Two (almost) matching knees at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I hate the Heat too, though LBJ is amazing (almost as good as Jordan). I've had a soft spot for the Spurs ever since I visited San Antonio and saw David Robinson's shoes on display at Dick's Last Resort. Man, those shoes are huge!.

Well, Heat won and it is now 2-2. I love the NBA finals. Hoping for the Spurs, but this is shaping up as a classic championship series. Heat played great tonight, especially Dwayne Wade. BTW: You know what they say about big shoes :).
 
Rehab was my choice, though my doc is in full agreement. I am due to be discharged tomorrow, but it wasn't till this morning that I could get to the commode, and I needed assistance to get there. In two hours my fem block catheter will be pulled, so the pain will really ramp up. Been running a low-grade fever the past two days, probably from stress and sinusitis (high allergy season),

Reason I need rehab is that for all intents and purposes I live alone. My husband is a cardiologist, the only one in his practice, and keeps insanely long hours. He hates to take time off because the practice loses money but his staff still needs to be paid, and getting an outside cardio to cover for him means that's money going to a different practice. It was like pulling teeth to get him to stay with me the day of surgery; he kept taking call via pager and phone the whole time he was there. My housekeeper, who took and stayed with me last year, has a very sick husband recovering from prostate cancer treatments and dealing with brittle diabetes, so she's constantly taking him to the ER almost every other day. My son is out of town at a rock festival (the tix were nonrefundable); and when he gets home he is none too skilled at housework. And my friends all have health, family and work problems of their own. So I need those 10 days of rehab training to gain some strength and independence.
 
Things are improving. After PT walked me to the commode, OT came and walked me to the loo and then about 50 feet and back down the corridor. Two delightful ladies from the Chicago Mitzvah Campaign came and gave me two challah rolls and a bottle of grape juice so I could say the Grace over bread and wine for the Sabbath. (The blessing over wine, the kiddush, translates out to "fruit of the vine," so grape juice qualifies as well as the wine I can't have for the next month). The ladies are coming back this afternoon with little LED candles so I can say the traditional Sabbath candle-lighting blessing.

Now, I never do this at home, since my husband is Catholic and our son and I are rarely home on a Friday evening. Last time I did Sabbath rituals (other than in temple) was at Folk Alliance--sort of an alternative (and for some, adjunct) to the Gospel jams and trip to Rev. Al Green's (yes, the soul singer) church. But yesterday, the hospital's chaplain (Unitarian Universalist) came in to say a few generic prayers with me. I realized how grateful I am to God for getting me through safely to this side of the Forum and giving me the patience to deal with my temporary limitations and the determination to work hard enough to make those limitations temporary.

So for anyone here who's Jewish, Shabbat Shalom; and for everyone else, Sabbath peace in advance. :-)
 
Diva look at you go girl!! Keep up the good work! I went to rehab after my LTKR, the food at the place I went was horrid, and didn't follow my special diet for my Crohns at all. I had to tell them what a low residue diet was. Hopefully your PT there is good! Mine were a bit pushy, and I had to tell them nope, your not doing that again! I just hope and pray your stay is comfortable and your recovery much smoother than the last. Hugs! PS: I think you are so brave to do the other knee, I can't even go there yet.
 
Nanners, that describes the place I went to last year for my RTKR to a tee! But the one I'm going to tomorrow gets rave reviews, ome of the best in Chicagoland in my network.

Right now I'm in considerable pain, as the fem block completely wore off. They are throwing nearly every drug they have at it--this hospital isn't kidding about having a hands-on pain service. Going to the loo was as much PT as I could handle this afternoon. Passive flexion hurt but they stopped when I told them to. Ankle pumps and glute sets are tolerable, but quad sets? OWWWW! And heel slides? They're not even bringing up the subject. I'm at about 60 degrees flexion and 20 extension. Will have a lotta work to do in rehab. At least they're not invoking the bogeyman of adhesions. We'll see what it's like in rehab.
 
For everyone here this Shabbat eve, whatever your faith, here is a prayer for healing, written by the late great liturgical songwriter Debbie Friedman:

Mi sheberach, Avoteinu. M'kor ha bracha l'imoteinu.*
May the Source of strength, who blessed the ones before us
Help us find the courage to make our lives a blessing.
And let us say Amen.
Mi sheberach imoteinu, m'kor ha bracha l'avoteinu.
Bless those in need of healing with "refuah shlema:"
The renewal of body, the renewal of spirit.
And let us say Amen.

*translation:
The one who blessed our forefathers and foremothers.
 
Well, one step and two steps back, as the Springsteen song goes. Now that the fem block has fully worn off I am feeling the pain intensely--so much so that I can't lift my leg off the pillow and swing it off the bed (though as I recall I couldn't do that last year till my second day in rehab. Today is a single OT & PT session each because I'm getting sprung, so as soon as the Norco kicked in I opted for OT first, for bathroom and dressing. Today's therapist was the best yet--she was very encouraging and had me do Lamaze breathing to help with the pain. I am shuffling like an octogenarian (apologies to the 80-yr-olds here) while using the walker. I packed a T shirt that is form fitting (I'm used to loose 2X or even 3X). The tee was a present from Athletico, where I did my pre-op PT and will be doing my post-op outpatient PT. She picked out the size for me: XL.
 
Just finished my final PT of the day. We walked out into the corridor, to the wall and back. Then ROM (I let the therapist do it till I said no--ten bends) and my ankle pumps, quad and glute sets. No heel slides yet--that'll wait till Monday in rehab. Dressing was easier than I thought, though I didn't have to deal with shoes yet--these little slipper-socks are "Le dernier cri" in orthopedic post op footwear. The concierge came for my lunch order, but I just had breakfast. Can you believe it--a concierge in a hospital??! Gonna do my hair and try to look more human. I hope we can do the transfer before the flood warnings start--the rehab center is downhill from the hospital on a street that floods.
 
Hugs Diva!! Sorry to hear about your pain, and hoping they get you all figured out before you hit the rehab. Make sure the rehab has all your med instrux. I had to wait 6 hours at the rehab to get my meds. Horrible, horrible. Hugs and keep up the good fight! Loved the prayer, thank you!
 
Hi, Diva. Congrats on making the LEAP to the other side, again. You sure got off to a fast start. Don't be discouraged by these inevitable setbacks. They too will pass.

I am just 2 days ahead of you, so we will take our walk together. I couldn't believe how pain free and how much ROM I had right after surgery because of the spinal. I was showing off to whoever would listen, but knew full well it wasn't going to last. Oh, well, it was fun for a little while. There were troubles controlling my pain as well. I finally ended up with a shot of demurral and that was all it took. It allowed for a great sleep and when I woke up, the knee was only slightly making noise. Then the oral pain meds could work. This happened last time, too. I surmised, from several different incidents/conversations, that the OS left plenty of options for me ion terms of pain meds, but the nursing staff was holding out for what ever reason. Again, a reminder that you must be your own advocate. Hope you get something good! And if you don't, keep asking!

Keep relying on God! Pain meds wear off, nurses change with every shift, and it's never the same entrée special twice in a row, but God and His promises never change. All the best to you.
PJ
 
Thanks, everyone ! I'm all settled into my room at rehab. Just as you said, Nanners, the last details to be discussed are meds. I've already ordered my meals for the next week, been informed of the movies being shown this week, been offered a shower (I demurred till tomorrow, as I don't have the special sulfate-free shampoo I have to use and the only blow dryer is in the salon, closed till Thursday) and weighed. Gained only 5 lbs of surgical water weight this time. Anyway, my room has 2 TVs but alas, no MSNBC, just FOXNews, CNN, and CNBC. Oh well, if I make believe I'm touring through small town motels... NO HBO or Showtime either, but not even the hospital had those. (God bless DVRs).

Nurse's aide informed me the regular nurse will be in "soon" to discuss my meds (Norco is starting to wear off). Still haven't gotten my walker yet, as the PT needs to evaluate me and see if I pass the criteria for crutches. Are they kidding? Yesterday afternoon, when the fem block had worn off, I could barely use the walker! But they did mention the ice cream parlor is now serving...
 
A few minutes before I was wheeled into the dining room I got a lovely surprise: my best friends were in the area and dropped by! We had a great visit (was able to bring dinner back to the room. No matter how much I hurt, I'm beginning to feel as if the rest of the world is coming back into my life.
 
Wish I could say the pain is easing, but it's getting worse. Even in this relatively posh rehab center, when it comes to evaluations and pain management, time seems to slow to a crawl. Good thing I had the hospital fill my Opana prescription to take home, because the center didn't--they don't stock it, their doctor needs to hand in a written scrip (thanks, all those street-drug dealing lowlifes and a paranoid government) and the pharmacy they use is closed on weekends. So I have to dip into my own every 12 hrs till at least Monday. The hospital specified "1-2 Norco 10 mg. every 4-6 hrs as needed;" I got my discharge dose at noon, which began wearing off at 3:30. It took me 3 hits on the call button to get it by 4:30.

And after four requests I got my 9:30 dose over an hour late--i had to argue with them that "4-6 hrs. As needed" doesn't mean "6 hrs., period." Still no Neurontin either, and the electric-zap nerve pain is getting unbearable. PT never showed up, just OT, and I was so stiff when they took me to the loo that I nearly screamed as they lowered my left leg. My reacher won't do, but they don't lend theirs out; when I stood up after cleaning myself my shorts fell to my ankles, the toilet paper roll sprung off the holder and few across the room. I still don't have my own walker--I was told not to bring one, that they'd provide it; but PT needs to evaluate me first. Well, DUH--do they somehow think I may have made too much progress for one? Terrified to go to bed lest I need to get up to use the loo during the night. Every passing of gas hurts my staples. And I haven't even done anything yet since I got here. So nervous from the pain that I am full of gas again. They won't let me get into my nightie (even sitting in my wheelchair until they can evaluate my body for "sores" sort of like the way they make you note the dings and scratches before you leave the rental car lot, probably for the same reasons). Every time I'm on the cell my room phone rings and I can't reach it (can't wheel with one hand) and vice versa. My orders are to do nothing for myself until otherwise instructed.

There aren't enough pillows to properly elevate, and they don't have proper ice packs to tie around the center of my knee, either--just ziploc bags inside a pillowcase. I was told on my tour I could shower any day I wanted to--instead today I was told my showers are scheduled Saturdays and Wednesdays. But, hey, they have free ice cream all day long. This is PT rehab, not substance abuse rehab. And it's the nicest place in my network that could honor my reservation.

And there is nobody to bring me anything from home--Bob's overnighting near his hospitals so he can cover all his nursing homes and see me tomorrow night before midnight; Gordy's still in TN; my housekeeper's husband needs her tomorrow (hey, it's her day off anyway so it's not my call) and she needs to be at my place all day Monday because FedEx has a package to deliver that needs an adult signature (and they tend to knock once and then give up), so I won't see her--or even get my gym shoes--till Tuesday.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
 
I am do sorry! If I could, I would be fly there right now, share my dilaudid and oxycontin, and get you out of there! Obviously that is not going to happen, but I'll stay right here with you until you feel like they throw you a bone.
 
Diva,

Like Ready, I wish I could share some leftover Rx. I do have a stash of Percocet left, but we're nearly 2,000 miles apart so I can't crash your party. I hope you get some comfort and sleep tonight and tomorrow is better. Much better.
 
Mother of invention is necessity; so I hear. Hope you are sound asleep, DD.
 
Actually did, trailspud. The shift change made all the difference--the PCTs still have limited English (first time i wish I'd paid attention to the Russian and Polish my grandmas tried to teach me) but the nurses are primarily Anglophones. During the night, when she brought me my Norco (finally on schedule, despite her amazement that I wanted to be awakened) my nurse left some adhesive-remover towelettes to rid myself of the heart-monitor and adhesive tape residue. Can you believe the hospital left one of he leads on? Also, I don't recall elevating my lower leg ever stretching my hamstring this much when elevated, even on only two pillows. Sure didn't hurt like this in the hospital.

Opted to have breakfast in bed because I still don't have a walker: PTs are all off Sundays, so no evaluation means no walker. Let me tell you how much fun transferring from bed to wheelchair to toilet and back is...NOT!

Right now, I momentarily thought I was hallucinating from the oxymorphone (Opana, which was delivered from the pharmacy along with my Neurontin overnight). My picture window looks out over busy Touhy Ave., the borderline between Skokie, Lincolnwood and Chicago. I expect to see cars, trucks, buses and pedestrians (few of the latter as there's no sidewalk). But I glanced away from my ridiculously large breakfast just long enough to see the CTA train passing by. Say WHAT?? There's no train line on Touhy! Had decided maybe I should discuss weaning off the Opana when I saw the rail cars were on the flatbeds of a triple semi-trailer! :rofsign:

Happy Fathers Day to all our dad, granddad and great-granddad Bonesmarties (and to the husbands of all of us Bonesmart moms). Alas, the gift shop is closed Sundays. Maybe I can see if the arts & crafts room is open. Haven't made a homemade card without a computer since I was ten!

Sorry for all the ranting--at 62 I guess I'm a Jewish Princess Emeritus. The "Diva" part of my sig file is truer than I thought.
 
Glad you made it through the night. Seems like when things are bad, the momentum keeps going that way. Soon, the tide will turn. Will hubby be around tonight? Any chance you can go home early? If things don't improve with the weekday shift, then you may as well be home. I am home along most of the day and really get along fine.

Don't apologize for "ranting." That's part of the beauty of BoneSmart. We all get a voice. Anyway, make the best of the day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom