TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
In brief, excessive swelling, pain, and scar tissue formation tarnished my recovery. I felt lucky that two months after arthrolysis I was able to achieve ROM of 0-110 (now -5/125-130). I continue to have synovitis and stiffness and a degree of arthrogenic muscle inhibition. At some point I sought second opinions at Mass General and Hospital for Special Surgery for the ongoing problems. Both said my knee had unacceptable lateral laxity; one said live with it, the other recommended revision.


What a difficult problem... As you know, both of those centers have experts in this field. The real question here is whether the ligament laxity is the cause of your ongoing problems. You stated that you need to wear a brace for stability. This is not usual following a TKA. If the laxity is the cause of the problems then revision can be helpful. This revision could be as simple as a poly exchange with better ligament balancing all the way to a revision of all the components. Do you remember what the OS who recommended revision said about the type of surgery he/she was considering?

Orthodoc
 
Maryo you have been so supportive of me i had to write and say my prayers are with you and hoping for a good solution. your pic rocks i remember doing that vaguely it was so long ago..... take care we are with you
 
Do you remember what the OS who recommended revision said about the type of surgery he/she was considering?
@Orthodoc They both mentioned revision. One made a face discussing the name of my knee prosthesis and said I was like 100s of people he saw every year with not very good knee replacements. He said he would not know what he would replace in my knee until the surgery and recommended I get a rigid brace and learn to live with it. The other one said he thought my knee, all in all, was put in well other than the laxity, recommended revision which could be as simple as a spacer exchange but could involve changing the femoral component as well. It didn't help that he was losing his voice and was trying to speak as little as possible. And BTW what is involved in ligament balancing? And is there any reason why I cannot have a leg that's more straight? That much valgus with 34" inseam creates a lot of lateral force. That's the reason I wear the brace.
 
what is involved in ligament balancing?

Typically we balance the knee by releasing (pie crusting) the tight ligaments until they equal the tension of the other side. Some surgeons will tighten a loose ligament with suture. Essentially, the most important aspect is to make sure that the tension is equal on both sides of the knee. This reduces the strain on the knee replacement and is essential for stability.

Orthodoc
 
Well maybe what I'll do then is set up a time to go back and see Dr. Andrew Freiberg at Mass General, prepared to ask better questions. He revised a friend's knee and I was stunned at how good it looked in just three weeks.
 
Well maybe what I'll do then is set up a time to go back and see Dr. Andrew Freiberg at Mass General, prepared to ask better questions. He revised a friend's knee and I was stunned at how good it looked in just three weeks.

I can't believe how good mine looks at two weeks Mary, just amazing. I spent the entire day with no walking assistance whatsoever. First TKR I was flat on my back crying at 2 weeks! I can say now, "this is how it was supposed to be." I hope that soon you can say that too.
 
And Mary, it does seem they should be able to better correct that valgus. I still look down a year later and am amazed sometimes to see my feet in line with my knees, in line with my hips! I wonder if the laxity could be fixed with a spacer - perhaps a spacer cut at the right angle could assist with the valgus.... Not a doc and not sure of all the issues, but I love the questions Kelly suggested posing to a new OS!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line
bottomshollow
 
Just a quickie report . . . have just returned from two weeks on a Caribbean Island. Initially, my New England TKR complained about the heat and the large steps up to our casita on the hill by swelling and being generally disagreeable. After a few days of snorkeling, the TKR became a happy camper and the "good" knee got cranky. A few days' more snorkeling and my knees were : ) and : ) Even better was feeling more agile, athletic and physically confident. Our last day we rented a double kayak that leaked badly and required our being towed back with an inflatable. My husband and I were expected to get ourselves into the kayak while it was tethered to the inflatable while idling out beyond the crashing waves, and I did it! I think I lost 5 or 10 years in age, or at least the age I feel!
 
Good for you Mary, I really do believe that sun and warm water help the TKR. Where did you go in the Carribbean? We went to Aruba 7 years in a row through June 2010 then my knee problems were just too great and we had to stay home and have TKR 2011. Next year 2012 my husband was hospitalized for two months and so we couldn't go, 2013 more knee problems and moved to one story house. Now 2014 we are putting in a pool so for this sumner my Carribbean will be in my backyard. So glad that you enjoyed yourself and became 5-10 years younger!!!
 
maryo52, What a way to go. Doing outside things or sports are so good for the soul. Keep it up. Tashia
 
@maryo52 ,

It is wonderful to hear you happy and hopeful again!:happydance: I have found swimming has helped get a lot of my movements more fluid. I don't feel like I am walking like a penguin,and I have the confidence totake on the first 5K of my life on March 29th!:yahoo: My hubby says I will pay for it by messing something up, I say this is a lifetime achievement and I CAN do this. I will not fail, his words are giving extra motivation!:yahoo:
 
@RestAssured congrats on running that 5K. I was never able to run far, always got too out of breath, even as a tomboy kid. So I am in awe of anyone who runs. I am very physically active anyhow but the snorkeling really cemented a certain confidence level. My brace stays on, which is needed for support and works amazingly well.
 
Mary it was wonderful to read about your recent trip and how well you knee did. I'm so happy for you. I have had trouble with scar tissue too and can appreciate your success. So happy for you!
 
@skigirl we actually live in a sunny area . . . I grew up in the South . . . love it here for three seasons but New England Winter can just go jump off a cliff! And the long-range forecast has the word "polar" in it again.
 
@skigirl we actually live in a sunny area . . . I grew up in the South . . . love it here for three seasons but New England Winter can just go jump off a cliff! And the long-range forecast has the word "polar" in it again.
Speaking of the New England winter... uh, spring... did you get snow last night? Woke up to 4 inches of extremely heavy and wet snow- ugh. I am so, so tired of this!
I did a lot of swimming last year and it helped me some but I did not go back this winter due to many reasons. I am very jealous of you getting away to some place warm and sunny. As much as I don't enjoy heat and prefer 60 degree days, I would love to get away for just a few days to escape all of this.
Glad that your knees felt okay on the trip!!
~ Kit
oh and p.s. A 5k isn't just for runners. I have walked in several 5k's and have done 3 since I had my revision. My sisters and I walked in one together last year and I did it in under an hour :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom