TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

Me too I agree with beachy, just wrap her up ! Who cares if it is psychosomatic LOL:rotfl:
Hope you are doing well again real soon

Chris:flwrysmile:

So deep in the midst of yet another winter storm so had to cancel pt yest. Been 8 days since went and I’m feeling it.

The weird pains are now gone completely and my extension back to about +- 5 :praying: Don’t know what it was and prob never will but it wasn’t long term so not focusing on it.

Instead my knee is super tight and visibly swollen and that band feeling is back under the knee. It’s also VERY red (the whole knee). :unsure: That part is alarming as never had it red like this even right after surg.

I know I’ve been pretty sedentary (only up and about maybe 2-3hrs/ day and no exercises) haven’t really elevated, haven’t really iced so I’m to blame on that one :blush: but ... wow.

Can’t believe it’s been 5mnths for me already. If you asked me if I’m glad I did it ... still not sure. My end point is so unknown for me that I can’t tell whether I’m better off or not. Only thing keeping me going is watching all the successes of some of my “knee family” that are also having issues and bumps in their paths. Gives me hope still.

@traceys, I don’t know if this helps you feel better or not, but my knee had bouts where it was definitely warm to the touch and slightly “flush” compared to my non-surgical knee all the way up to 7 months or more. I did not have issues with swelling though, tight feeling yes. I’m now almost 10 months and haven’t experienced any of that in weeks, probably since the 8 month mark.

@traceys i have been thinking of you while we are in the midst of winter storms, ice and whiteouts. I am staying in too, just so slippery...yeah Ontario winter...but good news we are over half way to spring :) These knees are prima donas...they miss the constant attention so throw a hissy fit to say pay attention. Hoping we get sunshine soon...hi from up the road!

@DLR :wave: now I’m picturing it whining “pay attention to meeeee!” And flopping on the couch.

@NavyGunns thanks. Just freaked me out when I tossed the blanket back this am and it looked like a red peanut MM! :scaredycat:

If your knee is still red and hot tomorrow call your OS and let him know. It's better to be safe than sorry.

@sistersinhim
:bawl:

The redness is def decreased. Now it’s just pinker than the other. I showered this aft and while it felt considerably tighter after, I put ice on for last 2hrs and feels bettter

Thank God is lightening up! When you said red that concerned me. But, all sounds good now. Isn't ice amazing! I was addicted to it. It could be a worse!

@sistersinhim is there a Narcan for ice addiction? :rotfl:

I’m really hoping at my appt with OS next week he takes time to listen to some concerns I have. He sees us at the hospital fracture clinic for all follow ups and it’s so chaotic and rushed and not private. I may call his office and see if I could get him to pop in to one of my pt appts if I can.

That sounds like a good idea. Some private time would be nice, especially with all your poor knee has been through.

@tracey's I have to agree with NavyGunns, you are an amazing support to many of us on this forum, :thankyou:I am so pleased you are doing better, I must admit some of your posts are hillarious you crack me up:rotfl:
I hope your OS can give you the time you deserve to voice those concerns, and you come away with a solid resolve on were too next

Chris:flwrysmile:

Ok. Finally had pt and massage after being gone for 10 days and dreaded it because I knew in massage it was the day we started work on my “terror zone” but more about that in a minute.

My pt measured me the minute I walked in, no warm up and in the position I measure lowest (on my back heel slide) 76. Not unhappy with that at all. We did some stretches with gravity and patellar manipulation and bang 87-90.
:yes!:

Due to a booking booboo I had massage right then instead after all my pt so she wished me luck and said to come see her when we were done and we would finished stretching.

So I’ve been putting off letting ANYONE touch medial border of my patella along my old scars. It’s a mental thing because I associate it with so much pain and the fact they reopened same scar twice in 2 diff surgeries. It’s also where I have the ripping and pain and block feeling trying to bend.
Today my rmt wanted to start working on it. She knows it’s my fear so she just put her hand on it gently so I get used to it and I broke into tears. Told her go for it.

:censored::bawl::sos::scare:

We got thru 15min before I had to tap out. She said there is a chunk of scar tissue she estimates about 8cm x 5cm that is the worst she’s ever seen in all her years and it’s no wonder I’m struggling to bend further. It’s going to take a lot to break thru it.
She walked me back to my pt who took one look at my swollen red eyes and said “you’re done today. Onto the ice machine and ifc immediately “ Rmt told physio they should talk about what she found with OS when he arrived after lunch.

Home now in bed, ice hip to ankle, perc swallowed. Dear lord help me get thru this next few massage Fridays. :praying:

So I’ve been putting off letting ANYONE touch medial border of my patella along my old scars. It’s a mental thing because I associate it with so much pain and the fact they reopened same scar twice in 2 diff surgeries. It’s also where I have the ripping and pain and block feeling trying to bend.
Today my rmt wanted to start working on it. She knows it’s my fear so she just put her hand on it gently so I get used to it and I broke into tears. Told her go for it.
She said there is a chunk of scar tissue she estimates about 8cm x 5cm that is the worst she’s ever seen in all her years and it’s no wonder I’m struggling to bend further. It’s going to take a lot to break thru it.
Tracey, there is no need for your anyone to manipulate your patella or your scars. No amount of treatment there is going to break up "scar tissue", if it exists there. Massage and manipulation will not do it. They will only cause you pain and further irritate the tissues there.
I think you'd be wise to continue to say "Hands off!"

Thanks @Celle but this is my choice. I’ve had it done for decades and it works wonders for me. Can’t imagine not having this done. I just hate anyone touching the scar sensory wise.
But thanks for your concern.

That's OK. I agree that it's your choice, Just as long as you don't experience pain.

@traceys and @Celle, during my early days of PT, my therapist noticed an area at the top of my incision where the scar was bunched up. He proceeded to show me how to manipulate and massage the area to see if we could get the scar tissue to break up and release. I really didn’t believe it would be any help, but I was wrong. During one of my own self massage sessions I felt popping sensations and then noticed the scar area was lying flatter and bending my knee was easier. In my case, I have no associated pain or sensitivity to touch.

@NavyGunns this is my old scar from first surgery in 1983, then reopened again in ‘87 and again about 1/4” beside it in ‘89. It is so thick, raised and puckered and rainbow coloured and the sensory on it it bizarre. The slightest touch including pants always made it feel .... wet. :shrug:

Underneath is the area I always talk about here feeling like it’s pulling or something got caught. Psychologically it brings back sooo many bad memories I instantly guard it when people try and touch it. OS had to have hubs restrain my hands at his initial consult on it as I kept knocking his hand away. :snork:

I do not agree with massaging the incision area,"to break down scar tissue". That scar tissue is a necessary part of the process of healing your incision. It's what originally held your incision together and it isn't adhesions, the "bad" scar tissue.
Given time, those lumps and bumps in and around your scar will flatten out spontaneously. It's all part of the natural healing process.

Tracey's case is different, because of her multiple surgeries. Adhesions can form following multiple surgeries.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom