TKR Trying to stay positive so frustrated

Barometric pressure changes?
Or as mentioned above dehydration, is always my first assumption if I feel a little headachy. Even a tad off balance sometimes. A big glass of water usually helps. Hope it's eased...or does soon.
Have a great week!
@Limpycat

Since you were outside, it could also be allergies. I have the headaches badly in the spring and have to take headache/allergy pills most all the season.

All of those things give me headache too….but the biggest one is the trigger points in my neck muscles, made worse when in pain and sitting lots. A good massage therapist is a godsend.

Finally it’s eased. Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions. I tried to rest with head and neck ice pack drank a lot more water and ate something. Could be allergies but I take regular allergy meds. So glad it’s better. Now knee screaming at me. lol I guess they at least took turns.

I hope today is a brighter day! :SUNsmile:
Thanks for sharing your recovery with us, Limpycat!
@Limpycat

Thank you and this community. It’s been so helpful. Today I was feeling a little less pain but so exhausted. After a shower and a couple of small house chores I’m just soooo tired. Is this normal too?

Yes, @Limpycat. Fatigue is normal -- we call it Energy Drain -- and it's a clear sign that your body is still in healing mode. This article explains it

Energy drain for TKRs

@Limpycat
I can certainly sympathize with you. The early days really are tough! I had 2nd knee done 1/3/24, and have come a long, long way from tons of pain and lack of sleep to now not even paying attention to my new knee! Time will heal!!

Oh yes, the fatigue…our minds are willing but our bodies are just not able. It’s a good time to really listen to your body, but of course it isn’t always that easy. Wishing you better days ahead.
:hi:

After a shower and a couple of small house chores I’m just soooo tired. Is this normal too?
You're not alone in experiencing the fatigue, Limpycat
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless, so when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time and will depend upon your body's rate of healing. Adequate sleep and rest is beneficial because our body does the best healing while we're sleeping. :sleep:

I'm sorry it's been hard for you...
To answer your question, it depends on what you mean by "walk better." You're only 4 weeks post op. Are you walking with a walker or with a cane? What can't you do that you want to?

There's a LOT of variation among our members for how long they need the walker before graduating to a cane. At 4 weeks isn't unusual to use a walker, and if there's imbalance, buckling, or limping we recommend staying with the walker for both safety and better structure.

The walker is easier but I just thought pain and comfort of moving would be better. Also when can I use heat on the rest of the leg that aches?

Some pain is directly due to the injury caused to tissues by surgery.

Some pain is caused by the pressure of inflammation (swelling) which is why we recommend icing and elevating at least 45 minutes and not doing activities or PT that create a lot of rebound swelling.

Lingering thigh pain is often due to the tourniquet used in surgery to lessen blood loss, and this deep ache can last a good couple of months, slowly fading.

Pain further away from the knee is generally caused by the sudden resetting of our overall body structure in the OR: some muscles and tendons now need to relax and stretch, others to regain tone and tension.

Heat at your stage of healing is only appropriate well away from the knee.

1705510297746.png

After a shower and a couple of small house chores I’m just soooo tired. Is this normal too?
You're not alone in experiencing the fatigue, Limpycat
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless, so when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time and will depend upon your body's rate of healing. Adequate sleep and rest is beneficial because our body does the best healing while we're sleeping. :sleep:
I saw my surgeon yesterday, I am seven weeks out now. I told him how tired I get, and falling asleep. He said it was completely normal. So don’t worry.

Thank you all. Just having a very bad pain day. My entire leg is aching without relief.
You are not alone - I am 8 weeks out and have questioned my sanity of doing my right knee replacement .I know I want it to go faster, hurt less, move better, and have more energy. It does get better at times. I pick one thing a day to try and accomplish . Some days it is just unloading the dishwasher. Dealing with the surgery blues was a new thing also.
remember to give your self some grace-time and it’s ok to take pain meds on a regular schedule to help stay ahead of it .

It is just a long process.In the end you can feel that you are losing touch with reality. You aren’t!
It will get better,
much better.
I am betwixt and between.
The physio said I could go into town, just for a very short walk, say, between the car park and the nearest coffee shop, if I used my three wheeled walking aid.
So……going to try that.
Coffee shop very near car park.
So that’s a step forward.
On the other hand, I went to sleep at midnight last night and woke up at midday.
My husband had done a full supermarket shop while I was asleep.
So it’s progress and non progress all of the time.
I can walk unaided around the house and the garden, and a very short distance along my road.
My surgeon told me to remember it is VERY EARLY DAYS.
That makes me feel better.

I hope there was less pain today, Limpycat...and even less tomorrow.
Hang in there, it's still early into the healing process and brighter days are on the way.
Lots of comfort to you! :console2:
@Limpycat

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks