Revision THR Trkkoa is on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopping by with an update.

Endoscopy doesn't show anything else wrong (besides gall stones) which is good news. I have an appointment with my preferred surgeon on October 5.

Gastro says I need to keep to a low far diet until I can get this gall bladder removed.

The good news is my weak muscles are finally showing some improvement. I am walking better and faster and without the cane. I still have a great deal of trouble standing on one foot. More clam shells and leg lifts and pool work are helping.

My PT is on vacation for two weeks and so am I. I am officially on vacation as I am in the airport awaiting our connecting flight. The farm is in good hands with the house sitters and I will be able to concentrate on exercise, walks in the woods and some R and R. Just need to put that impending surgery out of my mind.

Hope folks are doing well.

Aloha !
Nancy

Hi Nancy

Good news that it is your gallbladder and nothing else.. Good luck when you see your surgeon 5 Oct.

Have a wonderful holiday break, you so deserve this... I can well imagine the serenity of walking in the woods being good for the soul.. afreesmileyface.net_smiley_nature_flower_029.gif

Nancy, the laparoscopic surgery to remove a gallbladder is so easy on the patient. Had mine removed a few years ago--done as outpatient---went home that evening. Once all the meds were out of my system, I felt great. I had it done on a Wednesday and went back to work on Monday. Just had to be careful about lifting anything heavy for about six weeks. Those attacks are murder---only had 3, but it was 3 too many. Compared to THR, it will be a walk in the park.

Thanks for the first hand knowledge, bottomshollow. I have had 4 attacks a couple months ago and one was just miserable. Don't want that to happen again. I am trying to be careful with what I eat in the meantime.

Nancy

Nancy, I can identify with feeling like we should be further along. I had hoped to be pain-free by now (3+ mo.) but alas! Not using my cane (except on esp. bad evenings), but the first 10 steps after getting up from a chair are wobbly. PT continues, and I can definitely see results! Good luck! We WILL get past this! As many folks have pointed out 3 months and change is not that long, really. It just seems like it to us.

All the walking involved yesterday in airports plus sitting on airplanes (I made a point of getting up every hour or so), had me hurting and swollen a bit. I just didn't think I needed to arrange for porter service. Good thing there was plenty of time between flights. Slow and steady got me there. Rest and elevation is on tap for tomorrow.

Nancy, good riddance to the gallbladder! I had mine out over 20 years ago when they did it with 8 inch incisions, and even with that, it was an easy to recover from surgery. Nowadays....sounds like it's pretty simple stuff. You will not miss that pesky organ one little bit. Those attacks...I still shudder at the thought. The only bad part about getting rid of the GB is that I gained 15 pounds very quickly. It was fun to eat again. :)

I'll be tackling airports and airplanes in two weeks. I think I'm okay for it; I built in extra connection time to help deal with the stress of getting from one gate to another...sometimes in different terminals! Given your experience, I just might tuck an ice bag in my carry-on.

Sharon

Hi Nancy,

Glad you are getting a vacation. Even gladder to know that the endoscopy showed it was the gall bladder.

Those gel ice packs are great when traveling because they are small, but you have to put in on check in luggage. Good move on the porter.

Take gentle care,

Elle

I haven't been doing much of anything while on vacation. Did my exercises for the first time yesterday and I've been here for 5 days! The weather is colder and dryer than at home in Kona. I have a bit of an ache in my upper thigh. We are really enjoying the break from farming. OS said that by October it would be okay to use our ATV and our lawn tractor. I just have to be careful getting on and off. I still have a few more PT sessions after we get home. Planning a walk around the neighborhood this afternoon.

Had my gall bladder removed yesterday. On my way home from the hospital right now. I will have to postpone the rest of my hip PT for at least two weeks. I hate the idea of more narcotics and the side effects. But I'm on blood thinners again do it's Tylenol for me unless the pain is too much. So far it's just sore but I still have some morphine on board.

Just stopped in here to give an update. I saw my OS this week for an 8-month check up after my 2012 revision of the left total hip vintage 1994 (Legg-Calve-Perthes as a child with resulting AVN). My new larger cup and extra screws look good. And the bone graft has taken nicely. Although my range of motion isn't quite back to what it was, he gave me permission to try bending more and stretching things out as long as I don't force it nor twist inward. I have been on 90 degree restriction all this time. I can now work toward resuming the things I had been doing before the revision. After my first hip replacement, it was years before I was able to put my foot on my knee, so I will get there. It is still a bit difficult to put on a sock.

Next appointment is not for TWO YEARS yay. Since the femur was not revised we still need to keep an eye on that, but it is solid and showing no signs of wear even though it is 19 years old. I am to keep my PCP advised if there is any thigh pain as we go forward.

Aloha and best wishes,
Nancy

Hi Nancy, hooray for you! My 90-degree is still in effect, too, even though i break it all the time. Glad to hear all is well with you! Good luck for the rest of it.

hi
i am new here and have had nine hip surgeries since age nine for legg calves perthes
AVN and just had a THR on the other hip
i would love to hear your story since i have never met anyone with the same ortho problems
hippydippy

Aloha hippydippy. You and I are in a rare special club of female L-C-P patients. I was diagnosed at age 9 also. From what I have read, the older one is at diagnosis, the less likely to regain blood flow. I was put in traction in the hospital for a few weeks and then wore a brace with a bar between my feet for 17 months along with no weight-bearing for all that time. I was relatively pain-free until I got to my twenties. By the time I reached my thirties, there was no cartilege left and my femoral head was crumbling. So I had a LTHR at 33. 18 years later I had worn through the cup and was in danger of dislocation so I had a revision in June of 2012.

I am lucky that my other hip is just fine. I still always place most of my weight on the "good leg" out of longstanding habit. The knee of that leg bothers me some becuse of that.

Sorry to hear you had to have so many surgeries. How is the L-C-Pleg now?
Nancy

Great to hear you are doing well... and even better that your OS is happy to release you for two years... :)

hi nancy
yes, only 10 percent of LCP patients are female
My parents were given the option of having me in a full body cast for one year in 1965
but bone grafting hip surgery was chosen
my hip was never the same and after eight surgeries, I had THR done
now my other hip has had a THR
BOTH HIPS HAD LCP and AVN
It's rare and at age 59 its a blessing from God that I am not in a wheelchair.
Icing on the cake, I CANT TAKE PAIN MEDS AND DO NOT TAKE ANTYHING FOR PAIN POST OP.
Tis a nightmare but I am moving along and now 14 weeks THR
take care and God bless
hippydippy :dancy: :yay:

One year ago today June 13, 2012 was my revision. I was an unhappy camper that night and in quite a bit of pain.

But today I am doing well. I recently bought a used elliptical trainer on Craigslist and am liking it a lot. Back doing almost all the farm work I had been doing before surgery. Hubby and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a trip to Tahiti.

People ask me if I am glad I had the surgery. I guess so. I beats the risk of dislocation. I still have more aches now than before and i was in better fitness shape back then, but I was in blissful ignorance of the worn condition of my prosthesis.

I really appreciate everyone here at bone smart for helping me along the way, even if it was just to listen and empathize. Thank you!

Wow - can't believe it's a whole year already trkkoa! Well done! I'll bet those aches and pains continue to decrease. Thanks for the update! Don't be a stranger now!

Ditto Jaycey, where has that year gone.. Happy One Year revised Hippie..

So pleased you had a lovely celebration for your 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie