TKR Tried rest and elevation but knee gets stiffer with inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I had a really bad recovery initially for the first month and a half. My PT was the one who helped me work through it. She got me started on a recumbent low impact unit that let me do seated stepping. Over time I built up my stamina and the pain dropped off. The constant activity and motion helped with general stiffness and I was able to reduce my pain meds over time. I find even at 5 months out I am still early in recovery. The recovery can take up to a year to feel normal. The key is to keep up your ice and elevation and the motion activity your PT recommended. I know that quads always get weakened after TKR. so you have to do the leg lifts, leg spreads and caff exercises to build them back. Never compare your recovery to someone else. TKR is truly an individual journey. I am going to tag this to @Josephine, she can give you some recommendation on the pain and other issues.
 
@pattycake65 you will notice we have - for the third time - merged your threads. PLEASE don't keep starting new threads about your recovery. It just leads to us repeating the same information over and over again.
 
Thank you all for the advice. I am sorry,Jo,if I have messed up and you had to change my post. I am old school and am surprised I even know how to post. I don't really understand where to thread or even what a tread is.Please bear with me. I am just in real need of friends who understand me or give give me advice.My flexion is 95 and extension 11,I think. They keep ignoring my pain level and my primary had to up my pain meds,that seems off at this point. I have a small window of pain relief and am icing and elevating.I feel as if I made a huge mistake having this surgery and told the dr,my pain level was minimal compared to now. Should have listened to my intuation and said "NO TKR! This has been a nightmare for me.
 
Hang in there @pattycake65 , it does get better- it just takes a long time! Think of your recovery in terms of months, not weeks. Six months post op will feel better than one month, and so on.
 
@pattycake65
This is your thread, where you write about your own recovery and ask for advice. It's your own, personal recovery diary. Each person has one for their own recovery.

Do you know how to Bookmark a page? If so, bookmark this page, so that you don't lose your own thread.

I know that the first few months aren't easy, but things will get better.
 
I don't really understand where to thread or even what a thread is
A thread is a list of posts or messages. Like they say a "thread of a conversation" as in "you made me loose my thread" when somebody interrupts you and you forget what you were talking about. So this conversation is a thread. This message I'm writing to you is a post. A series or posts/messages/comments makes a conversation or, as we call it, a thread. Get it?
I am just in real need of friends who understand me or give give me advice
We all understand and we're here for you. But if you keep going off and starting new threads (conversations) then you don't get to see what we've said and you miss out.
I feel as if I made a huge mistake having this surgery
Honey, you're only 9 weeks out which is around the very worst time, especially if you're not managing your pain well.

So can you tell me what you've been prescribed and what it says on the packet about how many tablets you are to take in what period of time? It might say something like 1-2 tablets every 4-6hrs.

Then I'd like you to tell me what you are actually taking and at what times? Say like '8am I take 2 tablets' and so on. I'll be back later to see what you've told me. :console2:
 
I had TKR last June and had PT for over 6 months and my knee has never been right. Found out by a different ortho that I didn't even need this surgery as I was not bone on bone just had a previous scope for a meniscus tear and osteoarthritis. I have never been able to push past 80 degrees and am unable to walk for more than ½ block without pain. I still can't go up and down stairs right or without pain. This surgery has DISABLED me.

I don't know what is wrong and now am getting widespread joint pain and inflammation. I now have a torn rotator cuff, feet pain, etc. I am afraid if the new doctor doesn't figure out what is wrong I will end up crippled. I had a bone scan with contrast today as the Dr wanted to see if I had a late stage infection before he "operated" on my shoulder.

I have gained 40 pounds from inactivity and pain. The surgeon who did my knee just blew off my complaints. It is hard to find a new doctor as they are afraid of lawsuits. I am wondering if I am allergic or something to the metal or plastic from the implant.

PLEASE help if you have anything that sounds like my TKR. Thanks.
 
Welcome to Bonesmart. I'm glad that you found us. Since you had arthroscopic surgery on your knee they must have removed some cartilage removed so you very well could have bone on bone at least in that area of your knee.

I had my original TKR in July 2015. My OS did not do a very good job of it and also brushed me off. I sought out an OS who is a revision specialist. That is a surgeon that can help figure out what might be wrong with your knee and come up with a plan to fix it. I had the entire replacement redone 8 months later and it was the hardest decision I ever had to make but it was definitely the right one. I could only bend my knee to 95 degrees at most before my revision and I got to 130 as of my last measurement.
 
Oh, Susan, that sounds terrible! This forum has an amazing group of helpful, supportive people on it... and Marian already let you know she had a similar experience, at least to a degree. I bet you will hear from a number of other folks here, and if you get a list of questions, do respond to them so others can make supportive suggestions for possible approaches to a solution. Hang in there.... I think you'll find folks here are here for you!
 
Hi Susan,
Sorry to hear of all the troubles you are having with your TKR. What did the new surgeon suggest for your TKR? Did you see an OS that specializes in revisions? An OS that specializes in revisions has the experience and skill to figure out what is going on with your knee and offer a plan to help you. A surgeon who specializes in revisions is not afraid of a lawsuit, if they were they would not be doing revisions.

You can use the find a clinic button at the top of the page, find a list in your area, call the offices to ask about a specialist in revisions or complex joint reconstruction. Your second opinions should have no connection to your present surgeon, not even golf buddies.

Nickel allergies are unusual, but they happen. Do you react to cheap jewelry?
Here is some information about allergies. The definitive test is a blood test.
Allergies: Metal allergy in joint replacement
Allergies: Metal allergies and knee replacements
Allergies: Nickel Allergy Concerns
 
I've merged your new thread with the old one as there is a tale here to be told.
I can only refer you to the advice I gave you here
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom