• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Traveling

Hi Maggie :hi:
How is recovery going for you?
I hope you're happy with your progress and feeling stronger month by month.
Take good care and stay in touch. We love to read updates. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@Maggie M

Layla,
Thank you for asking about my progress! I think I’m doing pretty good, I don’t go to PT anymore, just do it on my own at home. I’m really working on my ROM and want to get back as much as possible. How long will you continue to get ROM?
I’m also walking 1/2 mile a day.

I really do feel a little better every day!

Last edited:
How long will you continue to get ROM?
This truly is a year-long recovery and most of us continue to gain ROM throughout the first year. Many of us see additional improvements in the second year.

It's not something you can rush by pushing. Your bend is restricted as long as there is any inflammation inside the joint -- which you still very likely have at just two months post-op, even if you don't see it on the outside. I know I still do and I'm just a couple of days ahead of you in recovery.

Don't worry about the numbers. Focus on function because that's what matters. The fact that you are walking 1/2 mile a day is great!

Slow and steady wins this race! We'll both be doing great by summer.

Hi Maggie,
Following is a post from member JusticeRider when she was ten months post op, it may help put it in perspective for you -

"I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked
."

And another from member VolLady-

"I want to tell everyone that has went though TKR that it is a long journey to heal. I am going this spring to have my other knee replaced.

Please do not get discouraged and I know you will because I did with my first one and cried more than I had in a life time. Scared mostly.... Surgeons will not tell you everything that you will experience during your healing. It took me 7 months actually to feel more normal but not 100%.

For the ROM I only got to 112 at 4 months and still cannot bend it all the way back to reach 130. But I can drive, sit at a table, put my shoes and clothes on great without a ROM of 130 or 120. There is no swelling at all at 8 months but I still have some stiffness at times but I deal with it and walk. I also still ride my bike with no trouble.

I am telling everyone this because your body will heal without PT and pushing your limit beyond to the point there is more swelling and pain. I have decided when I have my other knee fixed this spring, that I will do my own PT since I have all the equipment and items that they use anyway.

I had a MUA at almost 6 wks., and regretted it from day one. Simply because it did not help me anymore with my ROM but it did set me back on healing. The swelling was awful. I will not have another MUA even if my ROM was 95 at the time.

I will go in with open eyes on this other knee comparing on what I went though with the first one. So, with all that said, I wish everyone a happy healing and let your body decide with healing than someone trying to push you until you scream with pain. Also don't worry about the ROM, it will come -- it might take a year or more, but it will come. I am 67 years old and I don't expect to get past 120, but I do what I want to do at 67. Oh! and I can even bend down with the knee need to kneel on it..... Best wishes everyone!"
@Maggie M

Layla,
Thank you so much for sending me these! They were exactly what I needed to read, now I can quit worrying so much about it! I think my ROM is pretty good for 2 months out!

You're welcome! I'm so happy to read that it's brought you some peace of mind.
Deep breath, relax, you're doing just fine.
Hugs! :friends:
@Maggie M

Just wanted to give an update on our trip. We actually decided not to go because we think it was a little soon for me. However, we are going to a lake less than an hour from our house to spend a few days. It will be nice to do something different!

Enjoy!!!!

I agree with you that it's likely too soon for the trip you had planned. I am sure you'll have a better time doing that trip at a later date. I hope you enjoy your getaway to the lake. Safe travels, Maggie!
@Maggie M

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Maggie.
Happy Spring too. I hope its one of your best ever! :flwrysmile:
@Maggie M

@Layla I love your anniversary posts because it makes me look back at last month and see the progress I’ve made! I’m walking 1.2 miles a day and still doing my PT exercises. I can pretty much do whatever I want to do so I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made! Thanks to Bonesmart I’ve quit worrying so much about the numbers, just focusing on what I’m actually able to do.
Happy Spring to you too!

Wonderful to reflect back and realize how far you've come. I'm happy for you, Maggie!
Thankfully you're not worrying about numbers, just living life and appreciating the progress you're making.
You're doing great...keep it up. Thanks for the update! :)
@Maggie M

Today is my 4 month anniversary so I wanted to update my progress.
I was a little worried because my knee was swelling and very stiff but I think it was because I was walking 2 miles a day and riding my stationary bike for 15 minutes, sometimes twice a day. I guess I just had to join the ODIC! I cut it back to every other day and alternate walking and biking so I’m doing something everyday, if that makes sense! Seems to be working, my knee is much better today!
I still worry about my ROM but then I go back and look at the articles Layla sent me and just try to get over it. I really do anything I want so I’m not sure why it bothers me so much.
I still have a stiff knee and it feels like I have on a flexible knee brace. I’m hoping that will go away eventually. I know I just need to have patience but it’s really hard for me.

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Maggie!
Glad you listened to your knee and adjusted activity accordingly. I think it's wise to reference the articles you mentioned (I'm thankful to those that left them) when you're feeling tempted to fall into the unrealistic ROM timelines pushed by many OS's and PT's. I understand it's difficult to be patient, but you're not even halfway through a recovery that lasts a full year for most, with many reporting improvement beyond that. You're doing well!
Enjoy the weekend! :)
@Maggie M

I was wondering if anybody else had problems with their chiropractor.
I’ve been seeing the same chiropractor for several years after we were in a car accident. I really like him and he helped me a lot but now he is always wanting to do something to my knee that I don’t want to do. Like kneel on it, I’m not really ready for that. And he made a note that my ROM was only 90 degrees which is not true, he didn’t measure it, just looked at it. Anyway, yesterday he put my knee to one side,bent, off the table and put his weight on it. Today my whole leg is swollen. I guess I need to talk to him or find a new chiropractor.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom