TKR Traveling

Maggie M

Country
United States United States
I had a TKR December 20 and am 4 weeks out right now. I think I’m progressing fairly well, I do a few things around the house, my ROM is 110/3. My biggest problem is pain at night but it seems like that is part of it also.

We have a short trip planned the middle of March which will be 2 1/2 months post op. We travel and stay in a motorhome so it will be almost like being at home. We usually travel less than 6 hours a day, plan 3 stops, and expect to be gone 2 weeks. Am I being realistic in hoping to do this?

Last edited:
@Maggie M Welcome to BoneSmart! Which knee had the surgery?

Your trip sounds doable to me. Traveling in a motorhome means you can stop when you need to. You may get very stiff sitting for long periods of time. But stopping frequently will ease this.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Maggie M --I noted the title of your thread with interest because I am about to go on a VERY long plane ride tomorrow myself! My first adventure since my surgery. I understand your concern but it seems like you've got the perfect situation for your first trip and you will easily be able to accommodate any special needs you have for stretching, icing etc. I'm about 2 months out and a trip like you describe seems very appealing and doable.

Hi and Welcome!

My only thought is you might have an issue with the steps into and out of the motor home, they may stress your leg a bit, as they can be a high step up. I hope there is room inside for you to be able to get your leg up on an ottoman, that always helped my leg feel better after stressing it a bit.

Enjoy your trip! :flwrysmile:

I found that the vibrations of the vehicle would be uncomfortable on my new knee so I used a pillow under my legs to help lessen it. Keeping ice packs is a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited:
As was stated, my concern would be the steps. Those can be doozies. Inside the motorhome you'll have a handrail, I'd assume on one side. However, not so much on the outside - which is where my concern is with. I'd make sure someone is beside me - but that's me.

About 6 months after my surgery we went to a camper show in the Colosseum. The biggest problem I had was getting up and down those tall steps leading inside and outside the camper. The steps inside the camper were fine, but I had to have help going in and out of the ones at the entrance.

Yes, I agree they could be difficult. My husband has been wonderful through all this so I’m sure he’ll give me any help I need.
I still tire easily now, I hope that is better by then.

Hi! In addition to support with the steps and stopping for walking, at that point it's normal to be dealing with swelling and stiffness, so have a plan for continuing to be able to ice an hour at a time and to elevate "knee above nose" for good intervals.

I also put a small pillow under the foot of my operated leg, while riding in the car (on the passenger side) There’s not much room under the dashboard, but that little pillow did seem to help, even if it was only in my mind. :heehee: Sometimes I also had to put my hand on my knee, which I often did while I was driving, for quite a while.

That sounds like a really good idea! I’m going to try that.

Jaycey
It was my left knee on 12-20-23
When does the pain at night stop?
Thanks for having this forum!

At almost 2 years out, I'm not sure the TKR night inactivity syndrome is every completely going away. I still get up and wander aimlessly around the kitchen to alleviate stiffness. I found that sleep improved immensely after the first year though. Sleeping with a TKR in a POC(position of comfort) is so important to that initial 'falling asleep' game.

When does the pain at night stop?
I'm 5 days ahead of you, and still having leg pain when I go to bed. However, it doesn't wake me up as often as it did a week ago.

My biggest challenge is that I generally sleep on my stomach, which is impossible at this stage of recovery, so I've had to learn to find a comfortable position on my side. Lots of pillows help, as does taking 1000 mg of Tylenol at least an hour before bedtime.

Since this is my second knee replacement, I know it does eventually get better -- it just takes a lot of patience!

:flwrysmile:

Mine is getting better. We’ve had a lot of rain lately and I’m hoping that’s part of it!
I’m just so ready to be done with the nighttime pain. I’m good during the day, I only need ibuprofen occasionally to help with the pain.

We have a little folding foot stool that can act as a first step into our Motorhome if we happen to be parked where the steps end up high off the ground. It is a blessing for me in helping me get in and out.

I'm at 10 weeks out and still need Tylenol and Advil at night. I wake about 2am with a dull ache, usually need to take something for it and try to go back to sleep. I have noticed in the last week or so, it seems to be better. I've had insomnia all my life, so I have no hope of ever getting a full nights sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks