Hand Trapeziectomy and ulnar shortening osteotomy

@EmEm I am scheduled to have a trapeziectomy next month. Any words of wisdom for me? Anything I should know ahead of time? I went to Goodwill yesterday to get some larger shirts because it sounds like its hard to get hand into some shirts.
 
@EmEm I am scheduled to have a trapeziectomy next month. Any words of wisdom for me? Anything I should know ahead of time? I went to Goodwill yesterday to get some larger shirts because it sounds like its hard to get hand into some shirts.
Get yourself some ice packs to keep in your freezer. You will want to keep your arm elevated as well after surgery to help with swelling, so prepare any spare pillows you might need both for bed time and/or your living room wherever you plan to get some rest during the day when you get home.

Loose fitting clothes as you mentioned will also make like a lot easier. Something that also helped me greatly was a cast cover that I got at the local health store(looked like a giant condom). It covered my arm which allowed me to shower, bath without getting anything wet.

[Bonesmart.org] Trapeziectomy and ulnar shortening osteotomy


Other than that the hospital will get you a sling in hospital before you leave, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I had a similar surgery as well as the Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy(and many other wrist surgeries).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom