It's been two years to the date since my hip replacement, so I thought I'd give an update.
My hip replacement was in April 2024. That summer was dedicated to recover and rehabilitation. I got the clearance to resume full activity in the Fall. I started playing tennis again, hiking, biking, and the occasional run. I still had some soreness during a longer hike, but things were getting better and I was resuming my active life.
2025 brought a major change because we decided to move. We had lived in our house for 33 years, and getting our house ready to sell, and finding a new house in a new city, was a huge deal. Our house was in good shape, but still needed some things done, and we had accumulated a lot of stuff raising two kids over three decades. Plus, I was still working full time. This pretty much overwhelmed me between February and August, when we actually moved. Every day I had something to take care of. My exercise routine plummeted, although on some days I was getting a good workout carrying boxes or hauling stuff to the storage space we rented. I was moving a lot - walking, carrying things, packing things, fixing things around the house. The good news is that during all of this, my hip felt great. Doing all of that activity before my hip replacement would have been painful and exhausting.
By the Fall of 2025, about six months ago, we were settled in our new house. I got involved in the local tennis scene, and our new area is great for biking and running. I am 99 percent pain free now. When I resumed biking, I could tell my left leg (the operated side) was a little weak compared to my right side, but I've been doing some weight training to correct that. Every now and then when I start my run, my inner thigh feels tight for the first few steps. Other than that - nothing. Unfortunately, while dealing with my hip over the last four years I gained a bit of weight, but now that life has settled down, I've already lost over 20 pounds. My fitness had also declined, but I'm getting that back also. I know how to do that. It feels great to sweat and huff and puff but otherwise be pain free.