Guest viewing is limited

Total knee replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who accepts what an OS says about being to young for this should read a new thread just started in the Recovery area:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/safcbabes-rough-journey-fusion-to-amputation.25000/

This person was told she was too young in her 30's to have it done. By the time someone agreed to do it they said the knee was too far gone and she had fusion surgery and due to the pain is now considering amputation.

It may be an extreme example of what could happen if one puts off the procedure and perhaps repeated dislocations of the knee (which I have not seen anyone else mention in their recovery threads that I recall) had something to do with it, indicative of other problems that not many would see. The idea of a revision 20-30 years from now should be the least of anyone's worries and not worth the years of a limited lifestyle while waiting for some artificial age criteria that has to be met.
 
In my humble opinion, it is time to get them done. I had severe pain 2 years ago on one of my knees. When I saw the xray, it was almost bone on bone then. I knew it was only a matter of time. I waited (surgery scheduled for June 26-both knees) until I was 2 years post open heart surgery to have it done. My OS was trying to tell me sell me on having it done. I told him I was ready. If your xrays showed bone on bone, it is time no matter the age.
 
Unfortunately the surgery didn't work very well
It rarely does, I'm afraid
I am still fairly active, coaching youth sports. I know my days of playing full court basketball or anything high impact are behind me, but I do want to be active.
Well, you read Ref's reply and he still actively referees so why not you? I am intrigued at the number of people who think that having a joint replacement will mean they will be disabled for the rest of their lives but this just ain't so!

You can look here to see what others have done with their lives after TKR Stories of amazing knee recoveries
Also here's some factoids about TKR
The MOST performed surgery world-wide in the history of modern surgery
The surgery with the BEST outcomes in the history of modern surgery
World-wide, around 1 million TKRs were performed in 2012

Don't hang around - go for it.
 
I'm in pretty much the same place as you - I've been bone on bone for a few years and my OS was all for waiting for as long as I possibly could.

I went to a second OS for an experimental treatment that he did against his wishes as he didn't think it would help and it was out of pocket for me (he was right) and candidly he thought I was an idiot for waiting to replace - this was last August. I have since developed hip bursitis, most likely because of the knee issue...it's a pain in the...HIP :heehee: - so a few months ago I went back to the original guy to see if he had any options and he has changed teams. He now says it's progressing quite fast and that I should replace and that there would be no appreciable difference if I did it now or in 5 years. So...just working out my schedule to when I can take off the required amount of time and haunting this site for all the information possible. I'm trying to make it to next Feb but I'm not sure that's going to be possible as the pain seems to be escalating.

One thing that is quite clear - the patients that tend to do the best are the ones who had the most muscle tone still viable when they went in...IE those that didn't wait too long. Just my .02 - it scares the beetle juice out of me, too. After all, even if it sucks, I know exactly what THIS knee can do and can mostly make it work but I find myself making tradeoffs too often. I can do this if I don't do that sort of bargins and that's just not how I want to end up. Good luck with your decision...perhaps a second opinion might help?
 
I am bumping an old thread to thank everyone for the advice. Obviously I am having my LTKR on Friday and I'm scared/nervous/excited for that. But looking back to six months ago when I first started this journey - so many of you were right on the money with your advice. I'm glad I found this forum.
 
@treypops Just to add in here. Maybe I am an exception but I had two very successful microfractures , one which lasted me 10 years and the other is still going and not too bad . I think the reason they often fail us that it is a really , really long recovery period with no weight bearing and I had 12 weeks on crutches with the first and 8 with the second , slightly less long lasting one. Many people are either not able to take this long off work or just get bored and weight bear, or don't understand the importance of it and the surgery fails. In my case I was able to do everything right and took the time to let the new cartilage harden. Both operations gave me years of good wear. I did cycling and walking holidays. Climbed hills and did all that stuff I enjoy. But it's a big time investment to get it right. I was lucky I could do it. I've just had a partial knee replacement on the left one and I think it would have lasted a bit longer if I hadn't had a bad fall last spring. Whatever you decide , I hope it goes well.
 
@SuperSnapper well, I've decided, and I'm having my LTKR this Friday. I'm sure I am mostly to blame for the microfracture surgery failing, and I will need to be more patient with my TKR recovery.
 
@treypops Maybe I am just the exception! :) I am hoping my surviving microfracture last another couple of years on my right leg!
Very best wishes for your surgery on Friday. I've followed the Bonesmart mantras almost to the letter and it's been good for me so far! I'll watch out for you on the other side .
 
Best wishes for Friday. We'll be here to encourage you--and remind you to be patient. :heehee:
 
Obviously I am having my LTKR on Friday and I'm scared/nervous/excited for that.
@treypops --I believe that what you are feeling is all perfectly normal---this amalgam of emotions is a difficult horse to ride!

Trust me on this---the surgery itself turns out to be very anticlimactic, and we will keep you in our thoughts and our prayers tomorrow!

Please post back in the Post-Op area of the forum, as we will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing and how things went!
 
Thank you.....no turning back now!
 
@skigirl not yet....I planned to do it after surgery but I guess I can do it now.
 
Yes, it is easier to do it now than wait until you are on pain meds!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom