TKR Total Knee Replacement New Girl 10 weeks out

rubyedith

Country
United States United States
Please forgive me if I am posting in wrong location and point me to a more appropriate area. Thank you.
I am 71, female, TKR on Left Knee on February 22, 2024, So, 10 weeks out tomorrow
I'm sure I'm like a lot of members in wishing they had found you earlier...big sigh.
It is amazing to me how such a short surgery, 35 minutes to an hour, can create such a long recovery.
Surgery was on a Friday, first PT on Tuesday. Mostly an evaluation. The evening after surgery ,hospital measured bend 90 degrees....Iooking back on this, I think, how?? Then I remember I was on major drugs. I have been to PT every week for 3 days a week, missing only 3 days here or there after I found your site. On about the 3rd visit, the PT pushed my knee back with a lot of force to 121 degrees. I was speaking in tongues:heehee: AArrgg!!! A couple weeks later it was 132, no speaking in tongues this time, ha! but certainly not pleasant.
Trying to listen to my body and gut. Feeling very conflicted. Still walking with a limp. Can only do steps like a 2 year old. I guess I've always been competitive, not my favorite personality trait. I taught elementary school and always had compassion and patience for my little folks; but, I guess I don't have it so much now for myself.... I am near tears as I write this. I'm so tired and I'm hardly sleeping, even thought I have been on Lunesta 3 for a couple weeks now. I miss so much of my life. I told my surgeon, I will be glad to get to the part where I say this was one of the best things I've ever done, but I'm definitely not there yet...
Thanks so much for being such a supportive and open minded group!

Hi rubyedith, you are 2 days behind me, had my rtkr on 20th Feb, I am no where near 130bend, however I can walk without a limp, today 2x 1m walks.
Perhaps the aggressive pt to get too this bend is causing some of the pain.
Fully understand on the sleep I am still struggling with that, I am sure somebody on here can offer more help than myself, try rest, Ice and elevation?
Hope it improves for you.

Welcome to BoneSmart, @rubyedith! Glad you found us now, while you are still early in recovery.

You are posting in exactly the right place!

I've added a signature to your thread reflecting your recent surgery. Have you had any other knee surgeries or joint replacements that you want us to include? Having your history helps us provide you with better information.

Since you are still very early days in this year-long recovery, I will share our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I am near tears as I write this. I'm so tired and I'm hardly sleeping, even thought I have been on Lunesta 3 for a couple weeks now. I miss so much of my life.
Hi and Welcome!

Yes, this is a tough recovery, we have all been where you are now. On day 11 post op I had quite the melt down, so angry that I had invited someone to do this to my leg. I had a partial and did not expect this recovery to be what it is. No one warned me, and all I’d read beforehand made it seem like a simple procedure.

Be sure to read the Recovery Guidelines that @benne68 posted for you, they will be very helpful, especially the following:

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:

Aww! Thanks for being so sweet and kind and helpful and understanding! Just what I needed!!
@Steveg63 it's fun having a close time knee buddy across the pond! Thanks so much for taking the time
to respond! It seems to me that you clever Brits have a more realistic philosophy about all this:cheers:, ha!! I do believe you are right about the aggressive PT causing slower recovery. yuk! Yes, I'm icing and resting and elevating , but have slacked off and will get back on track due to your good advice. I never limped prior to surgery and now I do, waah. It was stairs and long walks that got to me and so thought I would get that fixed while I'm still young! lol! Mine started as badminton injury 9 years ago, then arthritis set in and they told me I was bone on bone. I am so happy you are able to take 2 long walks a day!! Inspiring !

Last edited:
Thanks so much @bennee68 for saying I'm still in "early recovery", that made me feel sooo much better, ha! No, I have not had any other joint surgeries. I am so enjoying everyone's recovery stories. They are so helpful and help me not to feel alone in this. And thank you for recovery guidelines. Been devouring them when I was still lurking around here before I joined. I'm pretty sure I have been to my last PT. The time before last, I brought up this site and philosophy to my PT....oops! He was so upset with me, he did not allow me to get in the correct position for measuring bend, and when it came out less than the last time, I asked him to do it over. He REFUSED!! I think I hurt his little ego....
Mine started as a badminton injury 9 years ago. I tried so many things, injections of all sorts, platelet rich plasma injections, rounds of PT. I hated being so slow on stairs and dr. said bone on bone, but I didn't have than much pain unless I did long walks or stairs. I did not limp, and now I do. 2 PTs assumed I limped prior to surgery!!

I did not limp, and now I do. 2
I think many of us have a limp in early recovery because of the pain and swelling induced by the surgery. I did, especially when I was tired and/or frustrated, but the limp disappeared over time as I healed and was able to walk correctly.

And wow, that PT! :bignono: Me thinks he thinks a bit too highly of himself. If I ever do this again, I’ll do my own PT.

@Jockette I have enjoyed reading about your journey sooo much. Thank you for taking the time and being so kind to share. even the meltdown! ha! I was mad at myself...here I am, usually miss natural organic girl and I let someone put a pile of plastic and titanium in me!! lol!! I am amazed you dealt with a wedding after recovery. I've just returned home after a trip to my grandson's graduation and that was exhausting. But children's weddings and grandson's graduations...a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do:yes:
How is your vision now? I do hope much improved. In 2022, I had a NAION attack in my left eye, which some people refer to as eye strokes, although my neuro ophthalmologist said was not accurate. Their exact cause is not known and there are no helpful cures. The vision in that eye is spotty. I was told to let every surgeon, anesthesiologist, medical prof know this prior to procedures. One of the theories is blood pressure drop during surgery, at night.....???? I had no vision change after TKR.

@Jockette
And wow, that PT! :bignono: Me thinks he thinks a bit too highly of himself. If I ever do this again, I’ll do my own PT

I know!!! I was in shock that someone would do that to a sweet little old lady like me :heehee:
ya'll are my PT now:yes!:

Hang in there @rubyedith ! You've got a whole team here to cheer your small milestones in mobility and independence, and to allay your concerns and be here for those middle of the night doubts and blues!

How is your vision now?
My vision never returned to pre surgery so now I can see distance great and have reading glasses all over the house! :heehee: Thanks for asking. :flwrysmile:
In 2022, I had a NAION attack in my left eye, which some people refer to as eye strokes,
I have a friend who had a stroke in his eye. I’d never heard of that. He can only see some light in that eye now. Very sad.

Aww! Thanks for being so sweet and kind and helpful and understanding! Just what I needed!!
@Steveg63 it's fun having a close time knee buddy across the pond! Thanks so much for taking the time
to respond! It seems to me that you clever Brits have a more realistic philosophy about all this:cheers:, ha!! I do believe you are right about the aggressive PT causing slower recovery. yuk! Yes, I'm icing and resting and elevating , but have slacked off and will get back on track due to your good advice. I never limped prior to surgery and now I do, waah. It was stairs and long walks that got to me and so thought I would get that fixed while I'm still young! lol! Mine started as badminton injury 9 years ago, then arthritis set in and they told me I was bone on bone. I am so happy you are able to take 2 long walks a day!! Inspiring !
Like your thought that us Brits are clever....not all I can say..it's great to see how other people are progressing, sometimes can be frustrating as we tend to compare with our own progress (or lack off). Keep up the good work.

Please forgive me if I am posting in wrong location and point me to a more appropriate area. Thank you.
I am 71, female, TKR on Left Knee on February 22, 2024, So, 10 weeks out tomorrow
I'm sure I'm like a lot of members in wishing they had found you earlier...big sigh.
It is amazing to me how such a short surgery, 35 minutes to an hour, can create such a long recovery.
Surgery was on a Friday, first PT on Tuesday. Mostly an evaluation. The evening after surgery ,hospital measured bend 90 degrees....Iooking back on this, I think, how?? Then I remember I was on major drugs. I have been to PT every week for 3 days a week, missing only 3 days here or there after I found your site. On about the 3rd visit, the PT pushed my knee back with a lot of force to 121 degrees. I was speaking in tongues:heehee: AArrgg!!! A couple weeks later it was 132, no speaking in tongues this time, ha! but certainly not pleasant.
Trying to listen to my body and gut. Feeling very conflicted. Still walking with a limp. Can only do steps like a 2 year old. I guess I've always been competitive, not my favorite personality trait. I taught elementary school and always had compassion and patience for my little folks; but, I guess I don't have it so much now for myself.... I am near tears as I write this. I'm so tired and I'm hardly sleeping, even thought I have been on Lunesta 3 for a couple weeks now. I miss so much of my life. I told my surgeon, I will be glad to get to the part where I say this was one of the best things I've ever done, but I'm definitely not there yet...
Thanks so much for being such a supportive and open minded group!
Hi there, I will be 12 weeks post right TKR on Thursday, I too am still limping so please don't beat yourself up! I am currently on the advice of my Physio carrying around a 3 kg dumbell in my right hand to try and correct my gait as well as more exercises for hip, glutes and quads. I think at this stage I am looking more at overall strengthening of that leg rather than concentrating on my knee. You have an excellent bend, mine is ok, my problem is still getting the knee straight. It's about 10°still and that really hasn't changed from pre or post op which is annoying as I have done all the exercises. I haven't had as much physio as you, I have been left more or less to my own devices so don't really know if this has been a hindrance too. Atm I have a really heavy cold and for three days just not had the energy to exercise. I am already noticing a stiffening of my knee but will have to address that when I am feeling better. I do hope you start to feel better soon too. I am sure we will all get there eventually, unfortunately recovery is not a straight line, more of a squiggle!! Take care Jx

@JanD041 thank you so much for your kindness and time!! We are close in time frame recovery, so guess we will squiggle together!
so interesting about the dumbbell for correction. How long have you been doing that? How are you feeling about results? Hope your cold gets better super fast! I got a cold during my third week that turned into a sinus infection, only my second one ever! That made sleeping even more difficult. I didn't go to PT or exercise . I just don't know about my bend now??!! From what I'm gathering here, a bend is one I can achieve on my own, not pushed into. So.... since finding ya'll, I've been a lot nicer to myself. I do what I feel like doing. I was out planting and playing in dirt this afternoon. Spring is my absolute fav season and it is soooo hard not to be playing out there. I got really stiff sitting on my rolling garden cart and came in sooner than my soul wanted to, but later than my knee wanted to....I'm gonna find that balance sooner or later:good-bad:
I just feel so much better finding ya'll!!!!!!

ok, so at about week 4, my PT had me do bridges, yek! my low back flared up for a couple days, then subsided. At about week 7 they had me doing the lie on back push with feet weight thingy, that now I see is a big no-no. Lower back flared again, but I did not connect it with the machine. About a week ago PT had me do step lunges and the stair stepping up and down one step forwards, sideways and backwards...ouch!! Lower back and RIGHT SI joint area and groin now hurt when I lie on my back with knee up on my pillow stack (learned from you smart people here), with ice pack on my knee and Tylenol in my bod. And also at night while lying on either side. Ice is not seeming to help. Heat helps some. I'm wondering if that area had become misaligned due to compensation for my left knee arthritis for the 9 years prior to surgery, and is now trying to get back in line? That is my optimistic thought....or, now do I need THR....please so no:loll:. Thoughts and all suggestions are so appreciated.:yes:

Ok, so first... none of those are exercises I would consider necessary or beneficial following a knee replacement, and at your stage post op they are potentially harmful. Your PT is giving you exercises that are simply not appropriate at your stage of healing! All you need is to walk, do gentle stretches, and as you become more independent with housework, gardening, and other activities of daily life those are your therapy! Seriously: once I could walk without a cane and shift weight nicely, I was happy to sweep the kitchen while my morning kettle was up. Once I felt ok to semi squat I resumed cat litter duties.

The good news is that it's not unusual to have SI or groin pains after knee replacement. There's a couple of reasons and you basically nailed the main one: yes, over those years your entire structure (mal)adjusted to your knee. Some muscles and tendons contracted and shortened while their counterparts stretched and became lax. This creates tugging on the pelvis.
All at once in the OR everything got changed, and it has to adjust. Some folks have SI issues, some sciatica.

The groin pain, depending on its location, might just be referred pain from contracted quads or psoas. There are different stretches depending but meanwhile heat to that area may provide relief along with - if its quads - gentle massage to the upper quads.

Oh thank you so much @mendogal . All this is so helpful.! I stopped going to PT last Wed. I could not get over the pain and exhaustion in the one day I had off between PT visits. It now looks like vicious cycle. I feel like all I did was PT and then lie on the couch recovering from PT. It is so nice to be a semi regular person again. My mood is already so much better. Now if I can just get the sleep button in my brain fixed. Even though I lie down with my eyes closed during the day off and on, I NEVER sleep.
At night, I have to take something for sleep...:tiredwheel:

My GP gave me a month's worth of zopiclone. She recognised that knee replacement was exceptional circumstances. I made it last over a few months by alternating with OTC sleep remedies ( valerian and sedative antihistamine) or some melatonin I had bought in Italy. A good night's sleep is a real help in recovery. I also slept with my knee resting on the opened cold water jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff and refreshed the ice cold water when/ if I woke in the night.

@EalingGran Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life to respond! How very kind of you. I believe in the States, zopiclone is Lunesta?? Please correct me if that is not accurate. My NP prescribed Lunesta 1 for me at about week 3 post tkr. She understood, like your GP, that sleeping is vital to healing. I was apprehensive, but excited about finally getting some much needed sleep. I tried 1, then went to 2 , then 3. I got nothing. I talked to another NP who told me they just don't work for some people and she was one of them, and apparently I am too. Waah. In August of 2022, I had a NAION event in my left eye, was put in hospital and on 1000 mg IV prednisone for three days. Absolutely no sleep, I felt like I could be mopping ceilings! Ugg! After hospital, I slowly went of prednisone over a period of about 6 weeks. Of course by that time I had no immune system and got pneumonia for the first time in my life, more prednisone...no sleep. Took me months to get over pneumonia, then got covid, then 2 of my cats died within 2 hours of each other at the vet with separate diseases. Then I lost completed contact with my friend of over 50 years. She lived an hour away. I am worried she had a stroke or accident and is unable to respond to me. Then I got a shingles vax and lost more vision in left eye and felt like I had the flu for months. Then my adult son had surgery for chiari malformation one week and my husband had back surgery the next week last September. ( when it rains it pours! but I never in my life had that much rain!!!) most things began to calm down and I was learning what to do to sleep again....and then I went and let them saw off my leg bones!!! So....sleep has been elusive for me for a while and very fragile. Some people hate flying or public speaking. I could do that all day, but I get so anxious riding on the interstate. I began taking .5 xanax about 12 years ago for when I had to travel interstate. I sleep really good the days I take it. Right now that works some nights, but I am trying sleepy teas and magnesium foot spray. Melatonin does nothing for me. If I could go to bed and know I could get a good night sleep.....what a world of difference I think it would make.
All suggestions are so welcome and again thanks for your time and for being here!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks