Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKRsharon's Recovery

I couldn't find anything large enough to cover the whole incision, so I opted for capris my first summer post-op. That did a really good job of keeping the area protected from the sun. It was annoying not to be able to wear shorts, but it was worth it in the long run.
I guess that is what I will have to wear although I think it will cause the same rubbing problem. I tried the plastic wrap and it was not helpful. I have been rubbing the knee: it helps a bit at that moment. Thank you for your help. I guess it will pass with time.
 
Last edited:
I wore shorts all the time and just put a cloth, or something like that, loosely over my knee if I was sitting in direct sunlight. I would think capris will feel as bad as pants, as they still come over the knee. I never worried about the sun if I was walking around.
 
What about skirts? If you will miss shorts, may be the next best thing.
Lightweight, soft / breathable, loose types, that put no pressure on your incision :what:
@TKRsharon
 
I wore shorts all the time and just put a cloth, or something like that, loosely over my knee if I was sitting in direct sunlight. I would think capris will feel as bad as pants, as they still come over the knee. I never worried about the sun if I was walking around.
I agree with that. I found something at the e pharmacy - it's a gauze -like, tube, a little stretchy and not tight and comes on a roll. You cut off what you need and it will hold bandage on without tape. I'll try that. Or, I can also do what you suggest. I am not a sun worshipper, but I do garden and go to the beach.
Thanks for your help.
 
ad of shorts as well until this resolveWhat about skirts? If you will miss shorts, may be the next best thing.
Lightweight, soft / breathable, loose types, that put no pressure on your incision :what:
@TKRsharon
I have to wear skirts or dresses to work so that works. I have some light weight skirts I could wear instead of shorts until this resolves itself.
Thank you for your help.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
You're two months into this recovery journey and doing well! Wishing you continued healing...every movement forward counts as progress. :yahoo:
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@TKRsharon
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
You're two months into this recovery journey and doing well! Wishing you continued healing...every movement forward counts as progress. :yahoo:
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@TKRsharon
Thank you. I am going back to work tomorrow to finish up the school year. Bringing icepacks. Hope all goes well. Not really all healed up - have a long road for that, but I need to do this.
 
Best wishes back at school. I’m sure the kids and staff will be glad to see you, and you’ll be glad to be there for the end of the year. Hopefully you can take things slow and easy. When is your last day?
 
Good luck! That is tough at only 2 months. Have you got the chemical ice packs? They are not wet and messy and much easier to use when travelling/ working. You could keep a box at work.
Once you squeeze to release the chemical - they freeze quickly and last a surprisingly long time.
 
Good luck going back to work. Take it slow and easy!
 
Best Wishes on your return to finish out the last couple weeks of the school year.
Hopefully it's not hard on you and you're able to alternate between standing, sitting and walking. Ice should help if you need to sit for a break.

I imagine the students will be as grateful to close out the year with you, as you are to finish it alongside them. After all you've recently been through with the trauma of surgery and early weeks of recovery, your return shows your dedication and there's no doubt that your presence will give their year with you a meaningful finish.
Enjoy these last couple of weeks with them! :SUNsmile:
@TKRsharon
 
Layla, thank you for your kind words. I had a wonderful first day back! Some of my colleagues and class surprised me with a Welcome Back breakfast. It felt so good to be back at work. I did well and was exhausted by the end of the day. The ice packs came in very handy.
 
You're welcome, TKRsharon.

Aww, that surprise breakfast was so thoughtful of your colleagues. Obviously they're fond of you and wanted to warmly welcome you back. Glad you did well and are happy you returned. Wishing you strength as you finish off the last couple of weeks. Then...a Summer that's all you want it to be! :SUNsmile:
@TKRsharon
 
Good luck! That is tough at only 2 months. Have you got the chemical ice packs? They are not wet and messy and much easier to use when travelling/ working. You could keep a box at work.
Once you squeeze to release the chemical - they freeze quickly and last a surprisingly long time.
I have some good packs I keep in an insulated bag. If I need to, I can put them in the freezer in the teachers' room, but so far, they have been good.
 
Another week down. How are you doing, @TKRsharon? Are the ice packs helping you get through the school day?

Hope it isn't too much longer to the end of the year.
 
benne68 - Thank you so much for reaching out! I have been doing very well, thank you. I have the ice packs if I need them and sit when I have to. I actually feel better at work, I think because my mind is busy. Wednesday is the last day of class. I am hoping to be able to visit my daughter in California some time this summer , (I am in New York) - I am not sure when I will be comfortable sitting through that long flight and dealing with all the walking in the airport. Hopefully by August. There has been so much rain here in the past weeks and the leg really feels it, but I shouldn't complain as I have had so many good days. This recovery has been so much better than the first, There is no comparison.
I hope you are doing well.
Again, Thank you for reaching out.
 
Hi TKRsharon, :wave:
Glad to know you're doing well while back on the job. Only three days to go until the last day, unless you have to return for a day or two to close everything out for the Summer.
Hopefully you'll be able to make that cross country trip to visit your daughter in August. Something fun to look forward to.

Following are some flying tips, Jamie, from Admin shared on the forum a while back.

* Pack light. One medium size bag you can check and a carry-on. Make sure the bag has sturdy wheels. Pack any pain medications in your carry on luggage.

* If possible, get a ride to and from the airport, getting dropped off at your terminal gate. Find out which airlines have curbside check in. You might want to book with that airline.

* When you book your flight, you can request handicapped assistance. This involves a wheelchair and a porter to help assist as you sit in the wheelchair. The porter will check your bag and take you to the gate. You'll board before other passengers and can take the wheelchair all the way down the ramp if necessary.

* Try to book an aisle seat so you are able to stretch out into the aisle, if needed.

* Whenever possible, book a direct flight so you don't have to change planes. Otherwise you'll need wheelchair assistance at every airport where you switch planes.

* Once on the plane, ask the flight attendant if they will arrange for a wheelchair to be waiting at the gate when you arrive. Bring some zip lock bags and ask the flight attendant for ice to use in flight if you feel it will make you more comfortable.

In addition to the tips above, I've included a few more. Hopefully you'll find some of the suggestions useful when the time comes.

Check with your doctor for approval before flying.
Wear compression socks to prevent a potential blood clot.
Get up and walk every 30 minutes or so.
Stay hydrated by drinking water and avoiding alcohol and coffee.
Stretch and flex your muscles often while seated. Do calf squeezes and ankle pumps
Check on a bulkhead seat if there are no available isle seats and first class is not an option.

Wonderful news that by comparison this recovery is so much better than the first. :yes!:
Have a great week, Sharon!
@TKRsharon
 
actually feel better at work, I think because my mind is busy.
Isn't it interesting how having something to distract us can mitigate the pain? The mind-body connection is just amazing.

Glad you are finding this recovery easier than the first. I had the same experience with my second TKR. I think knowing what's normal and what to expect helps.
 
Checking in to see how you are feeling, @TKRsharon, now that the school year has ended and you've had a couple more weeks to recover. Have you booked your trip to visit your daughter?
 
:wave:Happy Three Month Anniversary, Sharon!
I hope you're enjoying your Summer vacay from work, the rain has stopped and you're looking forward to your trip to California. Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing holiday weekend. Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@TKRsharon
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom