Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR Progress

My ROM was not great my whole first year but I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. I even saw a bit more improvement in my third year. You may see that, also.
 
My ROM was not great my whole first year but I had a lot of improvement in my second year,
@Jockette that’s reassuring and encouraging! Sometimes it’s hard to ignore the lack of ROM because I do get mild reminders during my daily activities. Overall, I’ve been very happy with my progress. I like noting my progress here so I will have a record of my healing journey, especially should I ever need to have the other knee done. Although, I’ve heard no two knees heal alike.
 
Hi @Odieodell I'm another one who has seen continuing improvements in my ROM at a year post-op. Try not to worry about the numbers, just focus on function. You will get there.
:flwrysmile:
 
I’m officially back on the tennis courts shy of 8 months post surgery (March 30). I did an hour and a half tennis drill. It wasn’t pretty, since my timing is way off, but the knee felt good. I’m trying hit more top spin so that’s throwing me off a bit too. This makes me sooooo happy!

On another note, I saw my chiropractor yesterday and he always checks my knee. This time when he took my leg and wiggled it, the knee sounded and felt loose when he did that. It didn’t hurt. I never hear or feel it clunk during my daily activities. Maybe swelling has reduced more. Just seemed weird.
 
It's fantastic when you regain the things you love. I'm glad you're having a good time.

:tennis2:
 
This time when he took my leg and wiggled it, the knee sounded and felt loose when he did that. It didn’t hurt.
If it was me, I wouldn’t let him do that. It sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I’m glad it didn’t hurt. My chiropractor has never done that to me after my replacement.
 
Overall, I’m very happy with my progress and activity level at 8 months post-op. I’m able to do many of the activities I love. However, my flexion still isn’t much past 100 degrees. I’m not overly concerned about that right now, because many of you keep saying ROM will come over time.

However, I am curious to know if anyone has ever had an MUA or arthroscopic surgery to improve ROM well after a year and if they gained long-term ROM? From what I’ve read on this forum, early MUAs didn’t seem to improve ROM for long-term because they only further aggravated the TKR surgery. I’d like to downhill ski again, but don’t think I would want to try it until my ROM is better.
 
An MUA will only improve your ROM if you have an adhesion that is blocking it. If you don’t have any adhesions, an MUA will only stress your healing knee. MUA is not done just to speed up your ROM process.

My ROM was poor at 9 months post op, mostly because I still had so much tightness inside my leg. I did have a lot of improvement all through my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal.
 
@Jockette as always thanks for responding. I do believe my knee is still healing and plan to give it a lot more time. However, I am a bit surprised I’m not seeing some small gains in my ROM by now since I’m so active. I challenge the bend a little bit every day. It seems like once tissue swelling has subsided, the TKR joint would bend easily without pain. My lack of bending feels like it’s the knee joint itself, yet I know I still have some internal swelling.

I again looked at the link you previously sent me about adhesions. How does a doctor determine a patient has adhesions? I was a water drinking machine before and after surgery, so my body has always been well hydrated so I’m doubting I have adhesions too.
 
How does a doctor determine a patient has adhesions?
My understanding is, the only way to determine adhesions is to do an MUA and look at its results. There are no tests that will show them, that I am aware of. Usually the doctor can hear the adhesion rip, like the sound of Velcro, during the MUA. If the MUA gives the patent a big jump in their ROM number, pretty much right away, and they maintain it, then we can assume there was indeed an adhesion.

On the other hand, if there is only a slight improvement in ROM after the MUA and within a short time the patient is back to whatever number they were at, or close to it, then most likely there were no adhesions, the patient only had swelling that was affecting the ROM number. This is often what happens when an MUA is done quite early in the recovery, and why I would wait to have one, to give the body time to recover and for the swelling to go down, which can take weeks or even months, for some of us.
 
I’m now about 10.5 months post-op I’m still overall happy with the replacement. I have returned to all my normal sports activities.

I am surprised, however, that there is still tissue pain at this point. I’m guessing my flexion is close to 120 which is what it was before surgery. I knelt on it without thinking and got a quick reminder from tissue pain. I also continue to have tissue pain behind the knee. The incision doesn’t hurt, so why is there still tissue pain and will it all eventually go away?
 
Yes, the pain will eventually go away. Many still have some pain at a year, but it's not affecting their life. It takes a year or more to have complete healing from their very traumatic surgery. If you are concerned you can contact your OS.
 
You will improve. My right knee is 4 yrs and 4 months old. The first year was a work in progress. Can't say it was painful after a year, but going into year 2 it didn't remind me it was new. Kneeling is still uncomfortable, but small price to pay for a strong, functioning, pain free knee.
Righty is 5 1/2 weeks old and ......ugh! I know she will behave soon.
 
At 11 months post-op, I’ve thought I was at zero extension, but now that we are here in Florida, I realized I may not quite be there. When lounging in a firm pool chair with both legs stretched out and heels on the chair, my TKR will start aching behind the knee as though tendons are still being stretched out, so I’m working on that.
 
aching behind the knee as though tendons are still being stretched out
Have you tried some gentle self-massage? It takes time, but some daily massaging of that area may help. Also, you might experiment with some heat behind the knee.

Extension usually does take longer than flexion to come back, but many of us continue to make gains well into the second year. I'm sure you'll get there!
 
Have you tried some gentle self-massage?
Yes, I do self-massage all of my knee, but specifically behind it. I think I’m nearly close to zero extension since I haven’t felt any pulling there until extending it for periods of time in a pool lounge chair. My bend still isn’t as good as I would like it to be (maybe 115-120) but I’m hoping for slow improvement during this next year.
 
My bend still isn’t as good as I would like it to be (maybe 115-120) but I’m hoping for slow improvement during this next year.
I think you find that it does continue to improve slowly over time. Mine certainly is and I'm now 18 months out.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Your ability to function -- to do the things you want -- is far more important than some arbitrary number. :wink:

Enjoy the pool!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom