Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR July 8th

On the one hand it seems good that you can do some exercise, but remember just being back at work gives your knee a bit of a workout.
 
[Bonesmart.org] TKR July 8th
@mickeyears70, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I have a bit of medial pain too and sometimes, it feels like it pulls a bit. I am sure that it is either a ligament or a bit of scar tissue pulling. I just keep walking, riding the exercise bike, etc. reasonably and expect that it will improve as time goes by. Keep in mind that I'm about 2 months ahead of you and one month ahead of Claire. So it may last a bit but does seem to be improving with appropriate activity!

Roxie
 
What side is medial I had a ltkr and I got a pain on the outside of knee it almost floored me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Medial is the inner side of the knee, as opposed to lateral, which is the outer side.
 
Or think of medial as another m word.... middle. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Thanks Claire I reviewed the ops report with my therapist and it explains why on the exterior of the knee is so tight and the why having medial pain. Both are related to fixing the ligaments. I just wish it was not so painful after PT, I had to take something stronger than alleve and tramadol for pain relief last night.
 
Let your therapist know that happened. They should be able to adjust.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
My pain was so bad last night, I had to take Oxy 5mg, and when that did not work after an hour and half, I added another. After PT and intense home therapy the pain is overwhelming. Most of the time rest and alleve seem to work, but not last night.

I even worked only a half day today as the pain was intense at lunch time and I did not even do any exercises. I have took some alleve and a nap and that seems to help. I will be taking it easy today as tomorrow morning I have PT.

I also purchased a cryocup ice massage device. I loved them during my first total knee. I am hoping I can target the pain.
 
After PT and intense home therapy the pain is overwhelming
PT should not hurt. It it hurts at the time, or later, tell your therapist to ease off.
You don't have to work hard at PT to recover or to gain ROM. Gentle exercise is all you need.

You've gone back to work rather early, so that is going to be putting extra stress on your knee, too. Do try not to do anything extra on days you go to work - especially, no PT - your knee gets plenty of work out just by going to work.
 
I had my surgery also on July 8th. I must admit I was a complete slacker with the home PT. I just didn't feel good enough to do any more than the exercises i did when she was here. I went to the PT facility and had an evaluation, she said I was doing really well. 105/2. Now I've had no further PT because no one is available until next friday and thats the day i have my OS appt. I've been stretching, gentle heel slides, probably too much standing. My point is this, all of a sudden, sometime yesterday my pain changed. Last night was the first night I took nothing, not even Advil and slept through the night without pain. This morning I said I didn't want to jinx myself but, no pain. Of course this could all change. Im thinking Josephine is totally correct about this heavy PT people are doing. Everyone is completely different in their healing process I understand. But, I feel terrific today and as I said, its different.
 
Made it to 6 weeks, had my checkup yesterday.

Flexion was at 105 -passive-want 110 to so I can do the bike.
Xrays look good, next checkup @12Weeks

I am feeling stronger, but still really tired. Part of the being so tired is related to going back to work and the mental draining of the job. I know part of being tired is related to recovery and working out daily.
 
I have some questions, does anyone use a treadmill? If so what incline do you use?

I tried the treadmill yesterday and one of the therapists said I should use a 10 incline so I don't drag my feet. Well after doing 20 minutes, my knee was very swollen and in some pain. It took until this afternoon to reduce most of the swelling.

I did drop down in the incline, but I am afraid 10 is way too much!

Thoughts?
 
That and leg press were the two things my surgeon warned me off. They are not conducive to a good, pain free recovery as you found. Walking is better as you can take it at your own pace which might vary minute by minute but a treadmill is relentless in its rhythm. I'd leave it out for another 8 weeks at least if I were you.

And doing 20 minutes to start with is just asking for trouble!
 
Update 8 Weeks Post OP:

I was walking around my apartment and I did not even notice my knee, totally forgot about it. You know you are getting better when you don't have think about it. I went down the stairs this morning and those are still challenging, but I could not even walk down the normally until a week ago. Even going up I have to think about it as my quad is still getting stronger.

I am still tired and need naps daily, I don't always get them so it adds up. I am hoping a few more weeks I will be past needing naps. I will still want them, because I love naps. :)

My clothes are fitting better, I have lost inches not weight which is a goal of mine. This surgery is the last of them so I don't have any excuses why I cannot move.

I also hit my golf clubs on Sunday and I am good to go. I am going to try and play 9 holes before doing 18 if I can. I always use a cart so hopefully that will help.
 
I have not posted in a while. Even after two other knee surgeries you think I would learn, each time is different.

I am currently 7 Months POST and I am still having issues. I went to Disney in Oct we walked over 100K steps and I did not have issues. I worked hard during PT, but my PT at the time was following protocol for a older patient, he was pretty new to PT. When I went back to my original PT, she was saying I shouldn't have been discharged. I had not been able to ride a bike or go up stairs without issues.

I saw my Dr at my 6mth and things were okay, but in the last few weeks, I have been having more pain, left front, above the knee cap. I am going to my PT on Thur to ensure it is muscular etc, and come up with a plan. I really wasted these last few months. I know it takes a year before you don't think aout the knee and I just stopped doing PT. I should have known as this is my second TKA and third knee surgery.

Thanks!
 
So sorry to hear about your problems. I'm over 8 months out and still having problems with my IT band, so much so that I'm seeing my GP tomorrow to discuss things.
Hope you get on ok on Thursday with your Physio.
 
I really wasted these last few months. I know it takes a year before you don't think aout the knee and I just stopped doing PT. I should have known as this is my second TKA and third knee surgery.
Don't beat yourself up about stopping PT. Most people stop PT when they get back to their everyday life.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom