TKR Happening on 01/19/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karri mentioned something very useful, but often overlooked - pencil and paper! It is a good idea to write something down when you think of it. I would write down questions for my surgeon, my PT, make lists of things I wanted my husband to get at the grocery store, things that needed to be done, etc. I was making the lists on my iPad/iPhone, but then I would just have to write it down or print it anyway for someone else. I do keep my lists on my iPhone now, since I am more mobile and have the phone with me. Depending on your reaction to your pain medication and how much you need to take, you may or may not have the brain fog - although I have heard the anesthesia does it.
 
Miss Klein, we Americans just want everything done so quickly! I am 8 weeks out and am 'on track' - working on full extension (0 degrees at PT but not at home yet) and more flexion, as well as continuing to strengthen the quads. What we don't think about is how much has been done on that knee - the skin and its incision is the first layer, the cutting of the fascia, the soft tissues that have to be cut, moved and stretched like crazy, the bones that have been sawed and reformed and pounded on, the tendons that are temporarily bumped around, and the muscle tissue that must recover after some disuse. My knee is still quite warm to the touch - all that cellular action generates heat, so that gives you an idea of all the work going on in there - still! This is, to put it mildly, a demanding surgery. It is tough. It has a longer recovery than you think it should.... because there is much to heal inside that joint. Unfortunately, I had a sub-massive pulmonary embolism episode which set me back, but I am grateful for the bonesmart.org comments about short-term recovery versus long-term recovery - these are spot on. Take the time to heal. You will need it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are so amazing! Not to mention helpful. This is a great forum. I am lucky to have you guys on my thread!

As for the "nest"...I didn't think about it but my Mother sure did! She sent me pajamas and slippers and adult coloring books with colored pencils and a 9 nook boos and real books! The second box is what I guess I will make my nest with...Such a cute name but it fits it so well!

I work for an amazing company so I am sure if I ask they will work with me. I just love what I do and hate that I will be so useless for so long!

All of these have such great information. I do not have a recliner but I have an overstuffed couch and a coffee table. I have tons of quilts that my Mother has made me along with soft fuzzy blankets.

Can anyone tell me the best way to shower when I get home from the hospital? Did you need Chloroseptic because if intubation? Any special lotions for the scar? Tips for making it to the bathroom?

How long did you guys have to stay at the Hospital? I am hoping I go home the next day but I not sure if they will let me.

Did anyone here get a reacher for reaching things? How about a sock horn? I will have help until the 25th. Will I be okay or should I call in the Calvary and ask people to come and visit for a bit?

I don't know what I would do without you guys! Thank you to everyone!!!
 
You may or may not be allowed to shower. Some surgeons prefer you not to. Others allow it. It seems to depend on what sort of dressing you have on your incision.
You won't need anything special for showering with - just your usual stuff.

It's a very good idea to have you "helper" somewhere close at hand when you shower at home, and to have a chair to sit on while you dry yourself. That's because initially you are going to feel incredibly tired. You'll probably only have enough energy left afterwards to go back to your bed or your nest.

Don't put any lotions or creams on your incision until it is completely healed over, with no open areas or scabs. If you put anything on before that, you risk introducing infection. After that, all you need is a moisturising lotion. Some people use cocoa butter, Bio Oil or a vitamin E cream, but even hand cream will do.

My best tip for making it to the bathroom is to make sure you set off before the need is urgent. That way, you can take your time and don't need to rush.

You could be discharged the next day. It all depends on your surgeon's protocol and on how well you are able to mobilise. You'll be shown how to get around, probably using a walker, and you'll be shown how to negotiate stairs. They like you to be able to do the stairs before you go home. Your pain medication schedule needs to be working properly, too, so that your pain is controlled.

You should be able to to manage by yourself after your helper leaves. Quite a few people manage on their own from the time they come home. It does take a bit of prior preparation, but it can be done. there's a thread at the top of this section (in the "stickies") called Home Alone After Surgery .
That gives a lot of useful hints and examples of how people managed.

Finally, visitors. You'll get tired very easily and having a lot of visitors will wear you out. You could manage one a day, as long as they know that you won't be entertaining them. Let them know beforehand that you'd appreciate it if they made you a hot drink, or brought a pre-prepared meal.

Remember that you won't be doing nothing while you are resting. You'll be working actively on healing your knee. Your job initially will be just to rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock.
 
I concur that those first 4 weeks are a bit of a blur, just rest and ice and nap when you can.
I'm 7 weeks out now and I still can't be bothered to read, anything. I spend a lot of time texting friends and on Facebook .... and here!
I also now try and set myself a little chore each day, but don't beat myself up if I don't do it. Today's chore was to clean the patio doors. Looks like that's being deferred til tomorrow!
 
I was discharged the next day. I had my husband to help at home - which was useful - so yes, have someone there for a few days. No showering the first week for me. Definitely get a shower bench. I was too weak to stand for a week or more. Ok, here is the TMI for some, but might be useful for you: get some personal feminine wipes to use to freshen up each day in your nether regions. ( I would use the proper terms, but don't want to embarrass anyone). It was so nice to be fresh and then I used a hot washcloth to take a birdbath the rest of the body. Having someone use a HOT washcloth on my back was heaven. I bathed every day somehow. It was my routine to feel like I was recovering.

I did not have a sore throat - don't think I was intubated. I had a spinal and a nerve block.

Do not put anything on your incision until the doctor gives you the ok. I used Vitamin E, but now just a good lotion.

I did not use a reacher or a sock thing. My husband helped me put on my slippers each day until I figured out how to hold the back of it with my good leg/foot and slide my operated leg into it. I could reach it enough by then to pull the back of it up.

Your couch may be a problem if you are tall. Some couches are very low. If you find yours is, then just double up the cushions where you will be sitting or add some pillows under the one you sit on to raise it higher. It will be hard to get up from a low seat - unless you are short. I am not.

The bathroom- do you have one of those raised toilet seats? (The plastic ones that you attach) You will definitely either need a grab bar (I installed an 8 inch one vertically to grab on and pull myself up with) or the handles that affix themselves to your toilet. Some people get the 3 in 1 toilet. I totally agree with Celle - go before you really need to. My OS's PA told me to wear panty liners if I didn't think I could make it. A good idea, although I planned ahead. You will want to get up every hour and walk around, so on one of those trips, you can do what I call a "preemptive pee" :heehee: At night, have your walker at the ready with a clear path and night lights, so you can get up and make it there easily.

I had friends and neighbors, as well as family stopping in. Many brought food. I enjoyed the break in the monotony. No one stayed too long. It is comforting to have someone with you at first- it can be scary. It is a big surgery and it is painful. Either download you an app for your meds or make a schedule. You want to stay ahead of the pain. Oh - get some Miralax and stool softeners - you will need them. It is well known on the site that the Poop Fairy is a stranger at times. :chuckmarch: Also, GET YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS FILLED AT THE HOSPITAL BEFORE DISCHARGE OR GET THEM AHEAD OF TIME. Too many people have had to do without because of a late discharge. My husband had to go to THREE pharmacies to get all the narcotics and pills.

There, as you can see, I am not shy about things and probably gave you more information than you wanted! :bored: You will do fine and be so happy - in a few months....
 
I'd suggest taking some peppermint lozenges and chloraseptic drops to the hospital with you. I had a horrible sore throat for about 10 days the 1st surgery and had to send my husband out to get some. You also may want to pack some eye drops, the refresh tears type. I woke up the 2nd time with a corneal abrasion and the drops they gave me had preservatives in them and stung everytime they put them in. I also found my walker for $10 off Craigslist since if I let the hospital provide it, it was going to apply to my deductible on my insurance. I sold it for $15 after my 2nd knee on Craigslist so I actually came out ahead. My doctor only allowed me out of bed to go to the bathroom and eat the 1st two weeks so I my husband took those 2 weeks off work. After that I could manage on my own during the day pretty well, but you will need someone for a couple of weeks I would think.
 
Hi @MissKlein ,
I'll be having my second TKR tomorrow and look foreward to joining you on your recovery journey.
Best of luck to both of us tomorrow!
 
You guys are so amazing! Not to mention helpful. This is a great forum. I am lucky to have you guys on my thread!

As for the "nest"...I didn't think about it but my Mother sure did! She sent me pajamas and slippers and adult coloring books with colored pencils and a 9 nook boos and real books! The second box is what I guess I will make my nest with...Such a cute name but it fits it so well!

I work for an amazing company so I am sure if I ask they will work with me. I just love what I do and hate that I will be so useless for so long!

All of these have such great information. I do not have a recliner but I have an overstuffed couch and a coffee table. I have tons of quilts that my Mother has made me along with soft fuzzy blankets.

Can anyone tell me the best way to shower when I get home from the hospital? Did you need Chloroseptic because if intubation? Any special lotions for the scar? Tips for making it to the bathroom?

How long did you guys have to stay at the Hospital? I am hoping I go home the next day but I not sure if they will let me.

Did anyone here get a reacher for reaching things? How about a sock horn? I will have help until the 25th. Will I be okay or should I call in the Calvary and ask people to come and visit for a bit?

I don't know what I would do without you guys! Thank you to everyone!!!
MissKlein. Listen to those who have gone before you. I was in the ozone for weeks. I made the mistake of going to Target at 3 weeks to get 5 things and almost passed out in the store, from the pain and exhaustion.

Regarding the shower, what helped me was a shower seat, with the legs raised high and a handheld sprayhead. I use to get tired in the shower, the warm water felt wonderful, but it was tiring to stand and wash my body completely. It was great to be able to sit down and direct the water where I needed it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Soooooo.... I'm at the three week mark and....I'm back to work with no issues. I was in the hospital for two days and shipped home. All I had to do was make it up the 22 stairs to the door and I could chill in my nest. My mother send me pounds of goodies and home made Jammies as well as some fancy ones so I didnt feel yuck.

When I first woke up I thought that my knee was on FIRE!!!! The PT a few hours after surgery was painful but the pain was no where near the pain I had imagined...and I was grateful. The next day I was walking a loop around the nurses station and my test was to walk up two flights of stairs. A little slow but as soon as I got it done I was out of there.

Getting home was a release. As soon as everyone is done fawning over you; I got the silence that I was waiting for. IF YOU PLAN ON READING....DON'T! LOL My 3 weeks was mostly Netflix, adult coloring books, Candy Crush Jelly, Facebook, Instagram, books (after 9 days) and cleaning. Beware - if you plan on washing your sheets and then making your bed, be VERY careful...I pulled the muscle "behind" my knee and I thought my bones were going to come out of my leg. I didnt get a walker but my sister did buy me a Hurri-Cane. Its pretty awesome but I dont really need it anymore. I still use it on the stairs though.

This forum is AMAZING. I was prepared, calm and ready to go into surgery well informed and content. I took everything anyone was willing to share and adopted it.

I will upload my before and afters when I get home this evening!

You Guys Rock!
 
Congratulations on being done and home! I'll watch for updates on your thread on the Recovery side.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom