TKR TKR 2/6, 3 days out and already frustrated

I took one of those elastic exercise bands and looped it around my foot and used it to move the log leg anywhere without using the leg muscles to move it. Worked so well I'm taking to the hospital for the next knee. I won't have to have a nurse drop my foot on the floor to fast when I gotta pee
 
@mcestang, you and I had a short chat on my pre-op thread (second TKR is this week for me). You and I are about the same age...I’m a single mom of two teenage sons (and I’m also very type A) and PLEASE believe me when I tell you it’ll all be worth it in the end. Before my first TKR, my surgeon told me, “this is going to suck more than you can imagine for the first few weeks, and you won’t believe me until you do it.” I had a lot of trouble believing it would get better, but it’s honestly so revelatory now to, for the first time in my life, have a knee that works as it should. Embrace the suck. Take it easy and learn to let others take care of you. I learned a lot of valuable lessons about accepting help and giving up control in this process during my first TKR recovery, and I can’t wait to do my second on Wednesday. It’s honestly life-changing.
 
@KM1972 It’s good to hear that you are so happy with your first knee and actually can’t wait to do your second.

At 11 months I’m not there yet. I haven’t had any complications but this whole thing has been way more than I bargained for.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@Jockette, I’m really sorry to hear that. I think it helped that my surgeon was so upfront about what to expect. I have congenital joint and ligament issues, also—my starting point was so bad there was nowhere to go but up, which I think has influenced my perspective. After my RTKR, my surgeon said my knee was the worst he’s seen and that I must have a high pain tolerance because I shouldn’t have been able to walk. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
 
Toward the end of my first week, the only way I could lift my leg up or down was by using a yoga strap (basically any long sash/belt, the belt from your bath robe works) to put it across the bottom of my foot and I used my hands to hold the ends of the strap and slowly swing my leg out and down or swing the leg up to get back into bed or into a chair. My legs did not lift or bend by themselves during the first week. I hope you will feel better soon.
 
When will the sleep come back I doze off during the day but I’m wide awake at night, nothing to do and in pain. Oh well....I know it’s part of our process but it stinks! Are there Any recommendations on how to sleep? I don’t have a recliner and I really wish I would have bought one for this. I’m not a back sleeper so it’s tough. Does anyone use pillows between their legs to sleep on the side? I’m afraid to move my knee like this so soon though.

Also, is it normal to have hip/butt pain? Mine aches so bad sometimes and will even travel down my leg. Not sharp pains, just really bad gnawing/aching feeling.

Wellness in VA - I’ve been using a long towel to help. But sometimes I forget or let my leg down to fast...the pain is enough to put me through the roof.

KM1972 - I love your positive spirit. I can’t believe your knee was that bad. No wonder your excited to have your other one done. Only 2more days!!! I’m looking forward to reading about your second experience and recovery. Best wishes to you on Wednesday.
 
Sleep, oh sweet sleep... the search for it seems to plague most TKR patients. Those who don’t have trouble sleeping are actually quite rare.

For the first four months, I could only sleep on my back with my legs ELEVATED. Seriously. If they weren’t, my knees were beasts. So I slept with my legs propped up on my Lounge Doctor. Every. Night. Eventually, I could sleep on my back with a firm pillow under my knees, or on my side with same pillow between my knees. That worked. Now, at nine months out, I sleep without any props. Side, back, whatever way I want. The knees are over their finicky-ness. So it does get better, but it might take a while.

Experiment a bit to find what works for you. I tried many suggestions and some worked, others didn’t.

Some folks swear by Tylenol PM to help bring on sleep. Others have tried soothing white noise. If you have an Echo or similar device, Alexa has “relaxing sounds.” There are YouTube videos of natural sounds you might play.

It helps if you can keep a nighttime routine. Maybe even “condition” yourself for sleep using a pleasant ritual. Warm milk. A soothing audiobook, or a little light reading. A nightly light snack. Do you have a partner willing to massage you a little? Just something relaxing before bed can help set the brain on sleep mode.

Hope someone can offer help on the hip pain. :console2:
 
2 questions for anyone....

1. How long did you use a walker or an assistive device? Did anyone transition to a cane?

2. How long did you wear compression stockings? My hospital discharge papers said 6-8 weeks!
 
SusieShoes - I LOVE my Lounge Doctor. I got it a few days before my surgery after seeing it recommended on here. I can’t take Tylenol PM, it has Benadryl in it which has the opposite effect on me. I get horrible restless legs. I’ve been reading but then I get so into the book that I can’t put it down LOL. Maybe some tea or melatonin. Or a glass of wine...of course when I’m off pain Meds ;)
 
@mcestang, I used a walker for several weeks and then a cane for several more (and for months whenever I was in public, just as a signal to people to give me space). I had some hip issues at first too—I wonder if it’s because they really torque your knee after they place the implant to make sure it works? Just speculation though.
 
P.S. I don’t mean to sound too Pollyanna-ish...it’s SO hard at the beginning. My first post-op thread on this forum was all, “what fresh hell is this?” It’s been so worth it for me, though.
 
I tolerated the compression socks for about 7 days. Then I remained on 2 aspirin for another 7 days. The oxycontin gave me paranoid thoughts dealing with being confined in small tight spaces and that was not helpful.
 
How is it going mcestang? take it one day at a time. Listen to what your knee is telling you. You may have to tell the experts no on some things as I finally learned while at PT. It will get better - it just takes longer than those of us that are impatient may want.
 
I'm with you on the difficult sleep part. Not exactly like lounging on a Bali bed in the Caribbean! The lounge doctor is pretty awesome but at night I switch to a few soft pillows under my leg/knee instead which simply feels better to me. I also lighten the covers a bit so I don't have anything too heavy pressing down on my cranky leg. Currently using crutches for support, both or sometimes one on the opposite side depending on how stable I'm feeling. For butt soreness, I'd try doing butt squeezes to activate the butt muscle. It's an easy movement to try prone a few times throughout the day. No matter what, rest is at the core of success but little efforts may help to work out those annoying aches and pains. Good luck!
 
I don’t have a recliner and I really wish I would have bought one for this. I’m not a back sleeper so it’s tough. Does anyone use pillows between their legs to sleep on the side? I’m afraid to move my knee like this so soon though.

@mcestang I don't have a recliner either and have often wished I had spent the money and purchased one prior to the surgery. However, I have been able to cope. As for back sleeping - it is certainly not my favorite way to sleep. However there was no way I could have slept on my side in the beginning. After about three months that changed, and I was able to side sleep with a pillow between my legs. At first though my knee would wake me up hurting after about an hour or so of side sleeping. Now I don't have any problem side sleeping, but still use the pillow between my knees. Give it some time, and you'll be on your side dreaming away too. Sleeping is just so very challenging at first - I used to dread the nighttime. However, I started listening to books on audible on my iPhone, and that helped me while away those long nighttime hours. And sometimes the book would just lull me to blessed sleep. Hang in there and it will get better. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom