PKR Tired of pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my LTKR recovery I certainly had the buckling! It was so alarming that I had to delay my return to work for additional 5-6 weeks (I went back at 18 weeks). Most likely what you are experiencing is due to quad atrophy, muscle inhibition, or some combination of the two. You're only a few weeks out- please don't worry, everything will be fine. :thumb:
 
Two weeks post-op PKR. Been pushing it possibly too hard. Going up steps on cane and felt like knee gave out. Pain made me dizzy. Every muscle around knee hurts. Now scared to go up steps. Moving much slower on walker. Afraid I messed something up bad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
@ghoffman0102 I was shown at hospital by PT how to go up and down stairs as my bedrooms all upstairs. I used the stairs on my first day home and took my time. I have been doing them now for 12 weeks and managing just fine..[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
 
Buckling - yep I've had that with both knees. First one nearly 4 years ago and second just 4 months ago. The 4 month old still buckles especially when it gets off balance and other times the foot seems to get stuck to the ground and the knee gets shocked. All down to weak muscles I believe. It does get less as time goes by. I managed with crutches both times. The first knee I had crutches outside until over 3 months post op. With the left I didn't need them around the house after about a week and outside after around a month, but this left recovery is so fast in comparison to the right four years ago.
 
Thanks for the support. I am moving. Went to work for two hours yesterday. I'm just much slower.

Someone recommended a brand of cocoa butter on here. Despite using the search option I still can't find it. Any recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mostly we tell folks to leave the scar alone---especially if it is not totally healed. Anything that risks infection is not worth it. I am sure you did not damage your leg---and yes, buckling does catch your attention---I almost fell down a flight of stairs when my knee buckled--before the surgery!!

You are doing the right thing--slow down, take things a little more slowly and use some sort of assistive device until your leg is stronger.
 
I'm still having occasional issues with my knee coming close to giving out on me, most recently a bit earlier today going down an incline with my first walk of the year with the 100 pound golden retriever. It's most disconcerting when it happens. 4.5 months out from my TKR, but I've also had an MUA, and I know my quads still aren't functioning at 100%, and I'm still working on extension (was 5 at my last PT session, which was from ages ago).

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
 
3 weeks post op. Left knee scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks. Wondering when operated knee can take steps without support.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is a subjective question----for instance, I took steps without support about 2 hours after my surgery. I used crutches for a week or so when I was outside the house, but never used anything inside. Other folks use a walker for weeks. It really is related to your overall conditioning prior to surgery.

I am a ski instructor and have really strong legs---I cold lift the leg straight up in the air on the day of surgery---the nurses were amazed, but I had not idea at the time that it was unusual. If you have been infirm because of bad knees, it is possible that your quads are not really strong. They are an important part of your knee's stability.
 
Same here. For my first knee, I used two crutches for about 2 weeks, then one and at about 6 weeks, was using a cane for another 6 weeks. Second knee totally different: 2 crutches for 3 days, then to a cane for about 2 weeks, then nothing! Amazing!

BTW, it's not your new knee that can't take the strain of weight bearing, it's the rest of your leg, the soft tissues. And if you beat them up with too much exercising, this period will last a lot longer.
 
It's Palmer's Cocoa butter, but don't use it until the incision it TOTALLY healed. I waited over a month until I got the ok from my OS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Progressing fairly well. Left knee surgery scheduled in two weeks. A little leary. Feel dizzy often. Anyone know why? Could be nutrition I guess


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The dizziness could be caused by several things. It would probably be best to get it checked out by your own doctor. You don't want to risk falling.

It could be that you are just asking too much of your body.
It's still so early in your recovery and almost all of your energy is going towards healing your knee. That's why we advise people to spend most of the time resting at your stage of recovery.

Do let us know what your doctor says.
 
A common cause of dizziness is anemia. You should have your iron levels checked before the second surgery.
 
A common cause of dizziness is anemia. You should have your iron levels checked before the second surgery.
I was thinking that is one of the things your doctor would be checking.
 
Make sure you are eating regularly during the day-- even if you don't feel particularly hungry eat a little something.
 
Blood tests were normal and dizziness passed. Another question: why is there pain in my inner knee when going up and down steps? Steps are hardest for me. My PT does work me but I love feeling stronger and the great stretches.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
There are a bunch of reasons---here is the first one that I thought of---the VMO which is one of the Quad muscles is often the last to get fit. My own VMO lagged behind for a couple of months before it really started working out with me. That is what controls the inner leg and might have an effect on your inner knee. Second, the stance you are using to climb stairs might be putting more weight on your medial side. And finally, your quad might still be weak and if so, you would feel it in your medial side more than the lateral side.

When we go to PT, we can see our muscles getting stronger, but really, they will not be at their peak until many months have gone by. For instance, last night in pre ski conditioning, I sat down at the lat machine and just pulled it down---as I was pulling, I looked at the weight and it was 60 lbs. I can remember that I used 20 lbs when I first had my surgery and got up to 40 lbs at three months. Now, five years later, i easily pulled 60 lbs---I have not focused on back muscles at all---it is just that I am more active than when my knees were bad and I am stronger overall. Be easy on yourself, recovery takes a while.
 
I am almost 3 months post op and I'm so tired of aching and soreness and stiffness. My thigh hurts, my calf hurts, my knee hurts. So tired of exercising the knee. Does this ever end? Want to go back on pain meds. Feel like it's getting worse.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ghoffman0102 It does all seem to last forever. One of the moderators will come along soon and give you list of articles that you can read. I joined this forum 3 months after my TKR feeling the same way you are now. All I can say is it does get better. You can read through a lot of different threads to see how others have coped. Many people still take pain meds for 3 ,4 and sometimes more months to get them through especially at night. Sometimes the pain is caused by too much exercising as we all seem to follow the no pain no gain rule. Make sure your still icing it because it does help pain and swelling ( tightness). I also have put ice on my thigh and calf to calm down those muscles too. Welcome to our group. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom