Timidly stepping into the Bilateral Knee Replacement World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also noticed that some people like the CPM and others hate it. I would think it would be more comfortable if only have one knee done at a time because otherwise you'd have both legs in those things and would they be moving in a coordinated way or differently? It could be weird and I know someone who developed claustrophobia from feeling trapped in the CPM. So, as with everything else, we're all different and just have to see how we react.

I will let you know if I have one and how I regard the contraption.
 
Thanks for your post @VancouverUSAgal I don't know whether or not they will use them on me, I just remember being in a ward surrounded by 3 new knees - all attached to the machines. Your point is interesting about having a CPM on both legs - hummmmm.

A fellow Vancouverite from north of the border. You are getting close to your surgical date - I'll be cheering you on and following your progress.
 
Thanks. I will try to post regularly on my recovery thread because it has been so helpful to me to read about those who've gone ahead of us.

We have to say Vancouver USA down here 'cause everyone gets confused. Our city should really be called "Fort Vancouver" since there was a Hudson's Bay fort here but it's impossible to get folks to agree to a name change now. I'm originally from California but I actually prefer the cooler weather up here in the Northwest. Some of us like rain and the changes in climate. Constant sunshine can actually get boring! :wink:
 
A co-worker had BTKR in October and he said he'd have one knee in the CPM for 4 hours and then they would switch it and do the other knee. Never at the same time. And this was only while he was in the hospital. But both knees were hooked up to an ice machine at the same time.
 
@Threads
We do have lots of great reading here!
I like your signoff; "physically preparing and trying to mentally prepare"
It is so applicable to pretty much everyone on this site! :)
 
one knee in the CPM for 4 hours and then they would switch it and do the other knee
So that's how they do it! Well, I'll soon find out if my hospital/surgeon uses them and let you all know how I react.

I didn't purchase ice machines because I'm going in debt enough for this surgery. Hope I'm not sorry! But I know others have done okay without them.
 
I don't know about you Linda, but I always count down towards my milestones. Right now I'd be saying to myself - 48 hours from now, the first big step will be over with. I can manage anything in sizeable time bites and then move on to the next stage. So, right now I'm thinking - in a little over 48 hours from now @VancouverUSAgal, you will be on the other side and will have two new knees - yeah! I'll be following your journey.
 
@VancouverUSAgal I understand about the cost! It's crazy even what the littlest things cost. I had borrowed an ice machine when I had my knee scoped and I loved it. So this time I don't think I want to try anything else. And I know my insurance will cover part of the cost. And that is something I can get through the hospital. I won't have to go out and find one. We all adapt and figure out what works best for us. A couple of days and you're almost there!!
 
Hi @Threads, I hope that you are ok? I've been reading through all the posts on here and would like to contribute too. I would suggest that you create an area for yourself in the same level as the bathroom before you go in for surgery so that it's waiting for you when you come home. Make sure that all loose mats are removed from the bathroom before you come home after surgery. I slipped on ours the first day home! Make sure that you have plenty of snacks, drinks, magazines, mobile phone and charger and create your very own oasis/desert island in your house.

The other thing is starting from now, you really do need to work on building up your leg muscles, the quadriceps and hamstrings. One thing Ive noticed on this site is that people with strong muscles appear to recover quicker. I wish I'd done it. I know before I have my left one done I shall be working on them next time well in advance next time around.

I wish you good luck on this journey. Please stay in touch.

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27. My first "go" date needs to be by May 8th or I will wait until after the end of October. Since it's all quiet from my OS's office, I'm assuming the latter. So, my thoughts are to work out what I need to do when the time comes and if I have a bit of a wait, at least I'll be more mentally prepared, having had lots of time to learn through others' experiences.

There has been talk of my going to a rehab facility before coming home, so I'm not sure what to do. Whether I should prepare for coming home directly - which would mean renting a bed and setting up the dining room before going in or assuming that I will go straight to rehab. We have stairs up to our bedroom and bathroom, which would be fine after some rehab but have a washroom on the main floor which would be wiser straight from the hospital.

I read your message before I "ran" out the door to aquafit. I try to go three times a week (before I wake up and realize what I'm doing) and have been going for about 3 years. I also have been on an anti-inflamation diet, which has helped. Remembering the comments I've read on upper body strength, today I concentrated on my arm muscles using the foam bar bells under water. It's amazing the amount of resistance you get from them. I've been walking in circles - frontwards, backwards and sideways in the Leisure Pool after aquafit, but not today or until after next week - too many munchkins in the pool on Spring Break.

Thanks again, Ann. The support on this group is amazing! Before I found this group I didn't know a soul who has had BTKR - now I don't feel alone. I have friends who have had TKRs but I haven't discussed the process with them. I so appreciate the input I've been getting.
 
Hi @Threads could you not just live in your bedroom for a while, if you decide against rehab? That's what I did and am still doing a lot of the time x

The strength you need are in your quadriceps (above your knee) and your hamstrings (at the back of your thigh). They are the most important ones to build up before surgery. The stronger your legs, the better the outcome!!!

Catch you later

Love Ann x xx
 
I'll let you know how it goes for me, but it seems quite a few people are more comfortable in a recliner than in the bed, so you might be okay downstairs if you have a comfortable chair or sofa. Just talked to someone who is 10 days out from one knee replacement and he said he hasn't slept in his bed yet, that's it just not comfortable. My bed is kind of high which will probably be good for getting out of but may be too difficult to climb into at first. So many things we're just going to find out as we go!
 
@Threads. I have restless legs, before my surgery on jan /14 2014. The legs were doing great for about 6 months...I tried prescription meds like requip but didn't do trick. My neurologist said drink plenty if tonic water I also take something called LEG CRAMP bought on the site vitacost.com
This was working for me for a long time....unfortunately this past week my legs have been giving me so much trouble..all the stretching I do does not help. The minute I lay in bed it starts all I do is keep jumping up and trying all sorts if stretches...like I said before afraid I'm going to stretch my knee to pop. Started to give up and just sit on bed and hopefully eventually fall back and sleep. The sitting is the only comfy position...please if you have any other ideas feel free to share. Ii keep wondering if it's due to the tkr but why would my calves be killing me.
 
Hi @susanne, I'm sorry to hear that your legs are giving you more grief than you need! I take something called Restful Legs made by Hyland's. I get it at a specialty grocery store, one that carries organic choices and has an alternative medicine section. Restful Legs is a homeopathic medicine and I've used it for years. I take prescription meds before I go to bed and they help me sleep.

I just googled it and found that you can order it on Amazon.com, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I'm so sorry to learn that Restless Legs don't magically disappear after TKR - for your sake and mine.
 
could you not just live in your bedroom for a while, if you decide against rehab? That's what I did and am still doing a lot of the time

Thanks for your input, @Nana moon 27 - I love my living room ;-) I can look out a big window at our little garden with all the activity at the birdfeeders, piles of books within reach and my table loom warped and ready with cloth to be woven. The bedroom has a small window without much natural light, great for sleeping but I certainly wouldn't want to spend a lot of time there.

The decision won't be mine for a rehab facility. It will be made by my OS and the hospital staff when it's time for me to leave hospital. I will "jump" at the chance because I think it would be the best thing for me. Luckily, it will be covered under our Canadian Medicare system, if that's what happens. If I don't get that option, my hubby will have to be prepared to put plan B into action, once we know what would work best in our situation.
 
I had my btkr on March 3. I did go to rehab for 5 days because I wanted to get some strength back. My DH has taken some vacation time. He now goes in most days. He stays home until the PT or nurse come in. I can get around fairly well so I can be home by myself. I do feel bad sometimes that he has to do so much around the house but I would do the same for him. He tells me not to worry about it. I have not slept in bed yet as I find the recliner more comfortable right now. My OS does not use the CPM machine. I do gentle stretches and walk around the house every hour or so. As everyone here who has had a btkr done says, they are happy they did it. I am not at that point yet but it takes several weeks to get there. I did go to the gym preop to strengthen my quads, other leg and hip muscles, as well as upper body exercises. This has helped in my recovery quite a bit. It sounds like you are really prepping for the surgery. That will be invaluable.
 
I'm fast approaching my "best before date" that I had given my OS's office so now know that I will have my summer and early fall to do the things I already had in the works. I will be back when I know my surgical date, which will probably in the late fall.

I want to thank everyone who popped in to help me adjust to the idea of a BTKR. I have been following the people who have gone through and are still going through their recovery. I am so impressed with the way that this group supports each other, and the knowledge that is available to anyone who needs it. I have told a number of people about this great group.

So, for the summer I will continue with my aquafit, work on my upper body strength, eat healthy foods and enjoy my summer plans.

I'll pop in to see how the people I've been following are fairing but will come back when I have a surgical date for the fall.

Thank you all for the peace of mind that you have given me.
 
Have a great summer and check in from time to time! Will look for your new thread when you get your surgical date. :friends: We'll be here for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom