TKR Tightness Across Patella

Thanks for everyone's input. And dc is used intend of typing out discontinue. The therapist is keeping me on weekly visits to start more strengthening of right leg muscles with weights. I will probably only have another 2-3 sessions then I'll be released from care. Thanks everyone.
 
Be careful with the weights. Generally most of us would say it's a bit early for weights, but if you do use them a good rule of thumb is to use a bit less weight and fewer repetitions than you *think* you can do and see how the knee feels later & the next day. It can be really easy to overdo while your knee is healing.
 
Thanks for the advice. I will be under the supervision of my therapist and I trust her.
 
I just hv my first day patient program, which is run 2 times per week for 4weeks. It consist of each 45 minutes of ortho, hydro and D/O (with equipment). PT put weight on my ankle, at the time it was ok, but this morning when I woke up, my right (weak one) hurt, left is ok. So @kneeper ,s advice is wise.
 
I am nearly 6 months right total knee replacement. I have this tightness across my patella. I read an article in the library written by Josephine on this issue. It does sound like it is due to the incision healing. The discomfort worsens with walking and stairs. I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon in 2 weeks. Is there anything I can to in the interim to improve my discomfort? Otherwise my ROM is good. Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
Stairs are always the hardest to do. I still get some internal swelling and I had my surgery 1 days before yours. I use ice still and elevate my leg when I can. From what I've read it can take a full year for everything to be fully healed.
 
Is this the article you read?
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

If so, that tightness does take quite a long time to go away. It's a form of pain, so take some Tylenol.
You could also try icing your knee - even though it's almost 6 months since your surgery, icing still helps.
The other thing is to try cutting back your activity for a while, to see if that makes any difference.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you too. She'll probably ask you a lot of questions. Do try to answer them as fully as possible, so that she can advise you appropriately.
 
Is there anything I can to in the interim to improve my discomfort?
As Celle suggested, I need a little more information before I can advise ...

1. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

2. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you describe them like these examples ....

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Straight leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom