Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tight Band

My pain seems to get worse at night and that is when my restless legs also kicks in.
This can be an indication of too much activity during the day. Pain doesn’t always show up right away when we overdo, it builds up and hits us at night.
 
Went to my OS yesterday due to pain and sensitivity on my right knee. I am 13 weeks post op TKR. I told him about the stiffness like I have a tight knee sleeve on when I walk. He now wants me to go have a nerve block. He seems to think it is all nerve pain related. I am very nervous about it and do not see how the nerve could cause the stiffness and tightness in my knee. Has anyone ever had a nerve block that helped with pain and stiffness. Seems like all the block would do is numb the pain. I am so discouraged he said I don't have any swelling but I thought swelling is what is causing the tightness so confused and don't know what to do.
 
Swelling does cause tightness, but also, tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

It‘s your decision whether or not to get this nerve block.
 
14 weeks post op rt. TKA. I still have pain at night especially that keeps me awake. My OS thinks it is nerve pain and wants me to have a nerve block. I am very scared to do this and also doesn't that just numb the nerve. I went to him due to the pain but mostly due to tightness and having a hard time walking due to the feeling of having a tight knee sleeve on my knee. He did not even address this and said there is no swelling in the knee and to get the nerve block and see him in 6 weeks. Has anyone had a nerve block that it helped you or should I just wait to see if the tightness and pain subside as I get further along.
 
Hi @Brenda Joyce - at about 12 weeks my PT suggested that my continued tight band and stiffness could be due to the beginnings of neuropathy. Basically my nerves were irritated and not settling down, and any stretching or activity I tried to do made them inflamed. He called my surgeon and asked if they could put me on gabapentin, a drug that treats nerve inflammation. It really did wonders for me! I almost immediately increased my ROM by 15 degrees, and most importantly I could do activities without needing to fully rest for 3-4 days before being able to do anything at all.

Maybe ask your surgeon for more information on why he wants to do the nerve block. It could be for a similar reason as me, I don't know. But maybe he wants to try the nerve block rather than a drug? Definitely ask for more info. I was really grateful to my PT to recognize my issue and also explain it to me.
 
Thanks for the information. He did mention gabapentin but I was afraid to try it due to side effects. Did you have any side effects from it. Maybe I will give it a try before the injection. What dosage do you take?
 
Now 4 months after TKA. Still stiffness and pain. I have this area of swelling at the side of my ankle. At 4 weeks out my PT said I could ride my stationery bike. So when peddling I felt a strong pop sensation on the side of my calf. This is where this swelling is now. I went to a doctor to consult about a nerve block because my OS thinks my pain is nerve related and he said I may have pulled the muscle that runs along the outside of my calf. The OS seems to think it is nothing. Today I called them and am requesting they get some films of my knee and calf to see if something is going on in there. Waiting to hear back. Every day it is hard to even put weight on my leg and at 4 months I think that should not be happening. I still have severe pain at night too and stiffness all day long around my knee joint to the point sometimes I cannot even bend the knee. UGH, very frustrated with all of this. Wish I had never had this done!!
 
I still have severe pain at night too and stiffness all day long around my knee joint to the point sometimes I cannot even bend the knee. UGH, very frustrated with all of this. Wish I had never had this done!!
What daily activities are you doing and what exercises?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom