THR Tie your shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update- I can now tie my shoes by putting my left foot on a chair and bending over to tie them both.
I still need the sock aid to put my left sock on. PT is going great and I'm able to ride 30-40:00 on the bike
Getting there slow but sure
Next goal- playing golf again!
Thanks for all your replies
 
And for some of us, slower even after years - for me my recovery has plateaued - but that is ok, it is far, far better than what I had before :)

Yep, that is what I feel like is beginning to happen - the plateau. But I'll take what I have now anyday over what I had before my HR.
 
Thank you Sandee for your story. I am amazed each day as I read the posts how miraculous and difficult this process can be. My PT helped me work on a new way to try and get my shoe on and tie it on friday. I am quite stiff from years of not being able to do much due to an SI joint and my hip problem. Glad it is hot in Arizona and I can wear sturdy open shoes now. 3/25/14 THR
 
@kcolle49 I can't tie my shoe yet, but I'm getting closer. Right now when I wear my workout shoes, I tie them first loosely, then slip them on. That works for now. My surgery was 5 days before yours. I could put my shoe on and tie it easily before surgery, so I am hoping to get there again eventually!
 
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and have found it very helpful to read about your experiences. I had both hips replaced on April 7. Haven't had any complications and have no precautions, but have definitely had my ups and downs. I am having trouble being patient about the basics...like putting on my socks and shoes (couldn't do it for months before my surgery either), walking longer distances without fatiguing, bending down, feeling tired in general at odd times of day, etc. It is helpful to see that others are experiencing similar issues and allows me to feel that something isn't wrong with me! Thanks!
~Birdie
 
Sometimes I feel like a child regarding my shoes. I am also so impatient about the basics. Found out today trying to sit without breaking the 90 rule I have been stressing my SI joint. Will be watching that. I didn't exercise for
10 years before surgery, other things led to undermining the only thing (surrounding muscles) holding a hip with a congenital defect (a shallow and partially formed hip socket) in place. The antibotic Cypro can effect muscles and tendons that are weak in some people, I was one. That was a big piece in the puzzle, not the only one, in the beginning of a long journey to 3/25/14 THR. My PT sees me as strong, in shape and capable. She pushes me and I am glad, but I push back and when I reach my limit mentally, physically, or emotionally. I don't know if anyone else feels depression along with elation in regards to the magic of a working joint. Somedays I have to focus on moment by moment tasks. I am grateful, so happy to be this far along, and also not used to being so careful with my body. Thanks for all,your posts so happy we have this site.

3/25/14 RTHR
 
Hi @kcolle49 , and welcome......
I just wanted to update that at week 7 I can now put on my sock unaided by any tool, and tie my shoes
by putting my foot flat on the floor.
Woohoo!
 
I found a great post in leg length difference after surgery area I can't find again. It talked about the recovery when you have a pelvis with a tilt which I have. I found out in the post that the muscles and the tendons had lengthened and or shortened around the hip to accommodate the tilt. During the surgery they moved and repaired muscles. Now the pelvis tilt is confused even more. I am finding the muscles are going through a extra intense learning curve with the healing and the new placement of the hip which also influences the tilt. Just starting to understand how to communicate to PT about my need to go slower so my body can find a new way to work with the changes. My foot is off kilter today. I give it permission to be that in response to the changes taking place up above in the hip area. Slow down is on the agenda this week.
3/25/14 THR
Kathy
 
Yes @kcolle49 I agree with you, and went thru this, too. My right leg was over an inch shorter, and the pelvis
was tilted to accommodate. My left side complained for three weeks of walking til things sorted themselves out.
Now is fine and good.
 
@pie @sandee Have you tried elastic shoe laces? You can tie the laces and then just slip your feet in. They work well. Mine were part of a "hip kit" on Amazon.
 
Well I can now get my sock and shoes on no problem. Doing at least 30:00 a day on the elliptical and stationary bike. Hiked and rode a mountain bike on trails too. Played 18 holes on Saturday and shot 89. WOOHOOO! Back in action!! Good luck to all!
 
Way to go Pie! I had surgery the same day as you. Still not a pretty sight putting on shoes and socks, but getting there. I, too, ride the bike/use elliptical at the gym. And two days ago my bike came out of the garage and off I went through the neighborhood...it was hardly the Tour de France, but it felt great and, even better, I didn't fall off!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom