TKR Three weeks tomorrow tkr right knee. Tkr left knee Jan 2023

Soreone

Country
Canada Canada
I'm quite surprised how well my tkr from January is coping with my right tkr. The right knee has been quite different because they found a pain med that gives me some relief even with gastric bypass. I'm doing much better at physio. My ROM is 100 and I'm going twice a week to physio. I will not push myself if it hurts and if I find it too difficult I refuse. Experience from the past has made me much wiser this time. This time I've had ankle and shin pain and a lot more nerve and skin pain. I've finally started to be able to sleep in my bed instead of the recliner. Slow and steady with lots of bumps in the road but I'm hanging in there.

Hello and Welcome to recovery once again! It seems you're off to a great start.
I will leave the Recovery Guidelines as a refresher. A great rest of the week to you!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It sounds like you’re doing very well @Soreone. I remember how different my two recoveries were and reminding myself that knee #1 was still a work in progress when I had #2 done. Important to remember to care for both!

Does anyone have any advice for me. I am 6 weeks post op ltkr had right in January. The past week or so I go to bed for about 20 mins to an hour then I'm up with burning in my knee so I get the ice and sit down that's when these weird spasms start. My foot tightens up and I have a shooting spasm right up to my knee. Nothing seems to settle it. I've tried walking around moving my seating position ice hurts and heat is uncomfortable . I'm off all the opiods now and just take regular tylenol as needed. If anyone has experienced this and has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Hello Soreone, Sorry your struggling with this.
If it’s warmth you’re describing, it’s common as there is increased blood flow to the area as it’s healing, this can actually go on for a few months, but not burning.
Icing should help the spasms as it reduces the pain and inflammation associated with the healing process. I wonder if you’re able to give the icing enough time?

Sometimes unexpected spasms of the leg muscles occur after surgery.
These cramps / spasms are an episode of pain, usually lasting from a few seconds up to a few minutes. They are caused by a sudden, intense involuntary contraction of muscle or muscle groups. The muscle suddenly shortens and becomes tight.

In an effort to avoid the spasms, it is recommended you stay well hydrated. Gentle stretching exercises may help reduce the chance of getting muscle cramps. Gently massaging a cramped muscle may help it relax. After a cramp the muscle may feel tender for up to twenty-four hours.

If all else fails, for recurrent or severe cramps that disturb sleep, your surgeon may temporarily prescribe medication to relax your muscles.

Something else you can try is Magnesium.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also read of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine for spasms.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

You will notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.

Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
If you’d like us to edit your thread title to reflect your current issue, let us know and we’ll be happy to do so.

Wishing you speedy relief and a sound nights sleep.

I'm off all the opiods now and just take regular tylenol as needed.

If your body can handle Tylenol, and if your doctor approves, the most effective way to take it is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.

I did this for many months after my PKR and found it helpful.

Each regular strength Tylenol contains 325 mg acetaminophen.
Each Extra Strength Tylenol contains 500 mg acetaminophen.

Leg spasms in general can be low potassium or low magnesium; in my experience magnesium is often the culprit. An oral supplement in the evening and/or a topical spray at bedtime (not on the incision!) has been very helpful for me, my family, and friends.
The spray bottle for topical.use is expensive, but being a mineral.it doesn't expire. My bedside bottle for use only as needed in the middle of the night is at least eight years old! It goes a long way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member