Guest viewing is limited

THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

Today is my one year anniversary. Looking back at my notes, I had come round and was talking nonsense in recovery. By 2 o’clock I was drinking coffee and eating biscuits tucked up in bed with those annoying inflatable cuffs on.
My recovery has been slow and steady overall with a couple of blips en route. I recommend this forum all the time to people because it is way more informative than anything else.
My OS signed me off last week. He mentioned the heel-toe walking and said to think of Monty Python’s Ministry of Silly Walks and demonstrated what he meant. I realised that although I thought I was doing it, it is only now as I do a more exaggerated version that I can feel the difference. He referred to striding along and leaving the arthritic shuffle behind! He also told me to abandon the walking stick because it’s causing me to guard the new hip. The physio said to keep using until I stop limping. Hey ho! So I’m taking the advice of both and mixing and matching depending on where I am and how long I’m going to be walking for. So, i do still have a slight limp - more of a penguin waddle really, but I do think it is slowly getting better. So not quite 100% but not far off and 0% pain.
I do still think about my new hip, last week’s x-ray is firmly printed in my mind, but the fear and anxiety of the early days has passed (phew!)
Next appointment is in 9 years, implant is expected to last my lifetime. All done and dusted then although he did say that many people continue to notice improvements into the second year.
I have been a bit slack with exercise recently because of catching Covid followed by a whole series of virus type infections and the cold, wet, windy weather hasn’t helped. So, onwards and upwards, here’s to more activity in the New Year.
Merry Xmas to fellow travellers and your loved ones or Season’s Greetings if you don’t celebrate Xmas.
I will pop in from time to time but I think you can all do without the lengthy postings.
Thank you for your responses. :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I do still think about my new hip,
I still do also, at least a few times a day. I'm guessing it's just an awareness that never fully disappears, but leaves the forefront of your mind eventually. I'm sorry some of your recovery has been rough with Covid and other viruses along the way. No Fun! :gaah:

Thank you for joining us, for all of the support you've offered others and for mentioning BoneSmart when an opportunity presents itself. It is much appreciated.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas with more progress and many blessings in the New Year!
 
My OS signed me off last week. He mentioned the heel-toe walking and said to think of Monty Python’s Ministry of Silly Walks and demonstrated what he meant.
Sounds like you have a great surgeon, demonstrating Silly Walks!
I struggled with the Penguin waddle :happyfeet:for a while as well. It takes a lot of concentration, but you will overcome it with time.

Congratulations on your one-year anniversary! Wishing you all the best for a healthy and pain-free new year.
 
@Gloucestergal65 Happy hippy anniversary! It is wonderful to hear you are doing well -- silly walks and all! Eventually you will forget about the new hip ... I do until I sign in here. :wink:

Merry Christmas to you and your family. :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Oh well! Not doing quite as well yesterday and today. Shifting furniture was sooo not a good idea! My hip and side are complaining a lot and I’m back to using a stick in the house and painkillers every couple of hours. :hissy:
 
Nice update..always good to read of positive progress.

Can definitely relate to overdoing it but moving furniture is a huge job..yowser...:flwrysmile:

Have a merry Christmas and New year:santa-dance:
 
Still feeling a bit stiff and achy which is a pity because I was feeling great before this.
Just received written sign-off from OS which mentions mild bursitis. The sore patch I have on the outside of my upper thigh in the trochanter area. I’m aware of it but it doesn’t really bother me except I have to shift around a bit to get comfortable in that side.
He didn’t mention that what’s he thought it was when I saw him and I don’t know what if anything I could be doing to improve the situation.
Any advice is welcome.
 
Try alternating ice and heat to see which helps more. Soft tissues were angered, it might take more than a few days to feel better.


So sorry! If it weren't one thing.......it would be another, right?
I really do think that you've angered some muscles, maybe tendons and sometimes they are grudgeful..
 
@Gloucestergal65 I've dealt with trochanteric bursitis off and on since THR. It can be so annoying and just make you miserable. Recently went to a new OS and have been seeing his PA for some knee issues. We were talking about the hip bursitis and she recommended I lay on my side and do leg lifts to help strengthen and stretch the area.

She said if I didn't want to lay on the floor as we both giggled that at our age we can get down there but the getting up isn't pretty; that I could just stand there and do side leg lifts. Remember to do both sides so they both get the benefit. She also said when getting up from a seated position to not use your hands. Do this a couple of times during commercials at night to work on strength of your leg muscles.
 
Me too for occasional bursitis flare up & I get it both sides which seems weird.
I ice and do heating pad depending on my mood.
I do find core exercises to really help with my upper thigh area.
 
The hip and shoulder strain from shifting furniture has abated. It’s easy to start to imagine you’ve done something more serious than pull a muscle so I’m glad the pain has gone.
Back to walking without a stick and sleeping at last on OS without thinking about it.
Weather in the UK is very wet, windy, stormy and incredibly mild for the time of year. My granddaughter was expecting snow. She’s very good at getting me down into the floor to play so I’m practising quite a lot. Still not very elegantly and only with furniture near by. One of my New Year’s resolutions.
 
Me & floor
I have good setup here, put an addition onto my house about 20 years ago FROG (family room over garage).
Has 3 steps from dining/kitchen.
I go up to 2nd step and sit on top step and lay on floor.
Do my exercises, then sit up, place feet back on 2nd step and use handrail to stand!
Brilliant!
Now, washing my bathroom floor on hands & knees...not so glamorous! :heehee:
 
Thirteen months post THR. Nothing new to report except that I have got back to daily walking after a lazy time before Xmas.
Still feel very lacking in stamina generally.
Very cold here at the moment but still no snow.
:mcoffee:
 
Fourteen months post THR today. Nothing new to report. Aches and pains come and go. Sleeping is great. Life is good. Some ankle tenderness on non operated side. I think I might need more supportive shoes. Problem is I hate shopping! Still limping slightly so I still take a fold up walking stick with me. At least it doesn’t hurt. A boring post but I think it’s worth posting for reassurance. Sometimes the dramas can be a bit overwhelming. :loveshwr:
 
This is so true and thank you for checking back in. It really does make a difference to people in the pre op and early post op stages.
As you know, there’s still more improvements on the horizon for you!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom