THR THR June 12th: Return to work tips

@Layla Hello! I have been able to get in little 20 minute nap at lunch and it really helps. I'm definitely making progress week by week. I've noticed at 12 weeks my stamina is much better. Hope you have a very good week!
 
I've noticed at 12 weeks my stamina is much better.
Great news @birder ! And very encouraging for those reading who wonder how in the heck they will make it through those first work days. Stamina continues to improve for many weeks.
 
Hi @Jaycey! I am wondering now so long after my surgery approximately how long the stem is that fits into my femur. On average where is it relative to your thigh. I'm trying to picture where it is!
 
I am wondering now so long after my surgery approximately how long the stem is that fits into my femur.
Depends on what implant your surgeon used. Do you know the type. Then there are countless options to chose from so that the implant fits your anatomy.

Maybe @Josephine has a good image of this?
 
I'm returning to work tomorrow and have just read your encouraging thread @birder I'm hoping my return goes good as well and I feel I'm ready. I'm also curious about how long the stem is into our femur. I'm going to ask my OS when I see him in November. I know mine is titanium and have a ceramic cup. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
hi @birder! Good report on stamina improving and naps tucked into work schedule-- I'm so glad you're feeling more energy!

We liked Frankie and Grace too, but haven't gone back to the new season-- there are SO many things to watch, and at 30-45 minutes three times a week you don't get far fast... Our new one was Green Wing, which is pretty, er, suitable for mature audiences in places, but we found it absolutely hilarious. Lots of slapstick in a hospital setting. One character is a radiologist, and one of his little lectures correctly used several THR terms in a sentence. I was tickled that I understood what he was saying. Still waiting for the latest season of Doctor Who to be free someplace...
 
Hi Cheryl. I'm sure you will do very well! Just pace yourself and at lunch try to rest for even 15 minutes in a quiet place. I do a relaxation exercise of visualizing myself in a favorite vacation spot we stayed as kids. Make sure you drink water and eat lunch!

And zauberflöte, Mojo333 and Layla, it's weird now that I'm back at work and doing more in general, I'm thinking back to some of the early days of my recovery. It really does put things in perspective as far as how we've all progressed!

I have to share one of the best time saver/energy saver food preps that my sister shared with me. Cut deboned chicken into strips and place in a plastic bag to marinate. Pour buttermilk into the bag and marinate at least 30 minutes...more if you can. I then take them out of the buttermilk and roll them in Panko bread crumbs, place in a baking sheet with a little oil, season to taste and bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, then turn and crank up the temp to 400 for about 10 more minutes. The chicken is so tender and no pounding! I don't have the extra energy to pound chicken into cutlets! Wishing you all well!
 
Thank you the chicken recipe @birder , it sounds so good and simple too. I have to get more panko crumbs anyways for baked zucchini strips. I'm just relaxing this evening and have my stuff ready to go for my early morning. I even showered to save time in the morning and have everything set out. I just have to fix my hair and dab on a little makeup, breakfast and out the door. Talk to you later. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @birder
It's great you're handling your return to work so well. Sounds like your stamina is good and it's awesome you're able to sneak in a little nap.....so helpful I'll bet.

Thank you for sharing the chicken recipe. It's sounds good and my favorite part.....EASY. My kind of cooking!
After cooking for the kids for years I often feel burned out. My granddaughter loves chicken nuggets and chicken strips so a new / good recipe is always nice.

Wishing you a peaceful week of continued healing.

Take care.
 
@birder great chicken recipe! Your relaxation exercise sounds very good-- if I tried something like that, I'd be asleep at exactly minute 14 of 15...:heehee: defeats the purpose huh...

I'm glad work is going well for you!
 
how long the stem is that fits into my femur
They vary a bit but generally it's like this. I suppose about 5-6" long from the bottom of the neck.

[Bonesmart.org] THR June 12th: Return to work tips
 
@Josephine. Thanks so much for your reply Josephine! It helps to know that!
 
@birder good to here your doing good at work. I'll try the chicken recipe.I Like the Plano crumbs.
We cook frozen boneless chicken breasts in a turbo cooker. Works fantastic and they don't dry out.
 
Hey@birder. See you've been checking around on all our buds and new ones too.
How have YOU been? Can't remember where you work but I'm guessing you are happy it is the weekend also.
The picture Jo sent with stem, (I have my post op pics framed) allows my normally adventurous nature to take a mini-pause and not do anything to jar that sucker so it can get be just as tight as it can get before I get crazy with it.
Hope you have a great weekend.
 
Hello All. Hope everyone is having a good week.

My update. Saw my OS yesterday and we looked at x-ray. Placement of prosthesis is good and bone growth! So happy.

I continue to work on left quad strength. When I went back to work on August 28th I could barely make it up our hospital walkway to the parking deck because of the incline. Now happy to report I'm walking well and not having to stop.

I do use my cane walking in and out of work. Interesting factoid: I noticed that my balance isn't quite as good as before surgery although it's slowly improving. I Googled proprioception after THR and learned that Josephine please add to this info: there are basically neurological connections to our brain throughout our bodies that impact balance. One such site is in the hip socket (acetabulum) and when the OS removes the diseased socket it impacts our balance initially. This takes a few months to improve and balance exercises do help!
 
Hi @birder
Awesome on the good report yesterday! I'm happy for you.
Sounds like you've improved a lot.
Interesting info you dug up. Would love to hear if Jo
has anything to add....
Best wishes for a great week!
 
there are basically neurological connections to our brain throughout our bodies that impact balance.
That's odd - I always thought that the human body was an entire matrix of nerves and systems that all affect balance!
 
:bored::tiredwheel:Hello @Josephine and thank you for your reply. I'm just really amazed by this whole balance thing post THR. It was never explained to me by my OS or PT so I guess I'm a little surprised that it wasn't. Very thankful for this site, otherwise finding information is not very easy.
 
Hey birder. Hope you are doing well. Haven't had as much time to travel around forum lately. Glad you are on the mend.
Winter, I really don't care much for it.
I downloaded a bird app that let's you to take a picture and identify bird, and can't find a bird close enough to get pic.:sigh:
 
Hi @Mojo333! I was wondering how you are doing. Hope you aren't overdoing it and taking care of you. I do miss the bird songs in the cold winter months here. I guess all the seasons have some benefit. Makes us appreciate the warm weather more! Take some time to relax this weekend!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom