THR THR @ 33

Don't worry they make you "happy" before they start doing anything. I'd had ortho surgeries many times before but had never had a spinal. I have had grogginess from GA and nausea in the past and I also didn't want the breathing tube. Spinal with sedation was easy on me and waking in recovery aside from waiting to be able to wiggle my toes I was instantly clear headed.

he has suggested that when i am in the waiting bay he will give me a cocktail of things through my IV
Sounds great! Staff totally understand this anxiety.

I had spinal with sedation for both my TKR s. Worked really well. Midazolam was lovely and I drifted happily off to sleep

Hello @BigDon
Things seem to move quickly pre-op. They keep you busy and will give you something for anxiety which does take the edge off. Before you know it, surgery will be behind you, you’ll be healing and on your way to recapturing life as you knew it before your hip began to deteriorate. All the best to you. I wish you comfort over the weekend and will watch for your thread on the healing side. :wave:

BigDon, I just ran across your post. I'll offer a few words of encouragement if I may, and share my oldest daughters story briefly. She's an RA( Rheumatoid arthritis ) sufferer, and was diagnosed at about 17(she's 38 now), and her hips started flaring when she was about 24...and her right hip totally blew up at 27..and she had her first hip replaced at 27(2009), then the left one at 34(2016). She's now a very happy, very active young lady, and you/she can't even tell she's a bilateral hip recipient. She's tough to keep up with, and can hike a trail like no other... she's very good... and her hips are that good too.

When it comes to arthritis of any type, it doesn't discriminate by age, and anyone can be afflicted. It's nobody's fault, but it just happens. I think it's great you're getting the help you need now, and can go on and live a pain free life for many years to come. It's alot to swallow at first, and it can be overwhelming if we're not informed. These people on this site are priceless in what they do to provide information and encouragement. I used this site years ago when I had my first hip replacement, and now here I go again for my second one. Mine is another story, and I'm confident I'll be fine.

I'm even more confident you'll be even better. At your age you stand a great chance of fully overcoming this obstacle. After watching my daughter and her miraculous journey, she's inspired me for many years to take care of mine as well.

I want you to know, in probably less then 30 days, you'll be very nearly pain free, and you'll be exploring what you can do again with your new hip. It's pretty cool I said in another thread, it's somewhat like having a super-power... just walking pain free that is. I'll look for you in the post-op forum and see how you're doing. Hang in there. You'll do great!

Not long now @BigDon ! Hope you can stay comfortable these last few pre-op days.

Thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.
You are in good hands and we'll soon be in the healing side.:ok:

Hope all goes well! Looking forward to hearing from you post op!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom