Guest viewing is limited

TKR This Rocks!!! (So Far, LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you are doing great firefighter. Awesome ROM for less than two weeks out. You will have a better life back soon!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
PT was ecstatic today. Even though I'm not locking out at 0 yet (kinda bounced between 1 & 2) my upper range today was 125. Up from 116 on Monday. He's cutting his visits back to two a week. I'll keep doing my exercises three times a day. I feel a lot better after doing them. My big issue right now is sleeping through the night. Not waking up hurting, just waking up. Upping the Melantonin (sp?) tonight and taking two pain pills when going to bed. Follow up appt tomorrow. Really hoping to be cut loose for some swimming and upper body weights. Walking around without any support, will take crutches if I'm going to be out for a bit or going to be around a big crowd. Feeling good!!!
 
Hi @Firemedic124 - awesome recovery so far, I can only hope to emulate you!!

What is DDPYoga? I'm a huge fan of Bikram yoga and do it several times a week - it's been getting increasingly difficult to sustain the balancing poses on the bad knee which is why I know that my time to replace is quickly approaching. Haunting this place to collect all the possible do's and don'ts...I'm a bit of a research junky ;-)
 
Great report!
 
@TexasTee , Diamond Dallas Page Yoga. Ex wrestler, totally brought his body back from the brink of death through his yoga routine. I purchased the dvds almost 2 years ago. Could not do it due to bone on bone pain. Im gonna start very soon . @Firemedic124 keep up the great work . Sleep canand will be elusive. Just got to roll with it, as long as theres no pain . I had nothing to do so I watched tv all night. Dont forget to elevate as well while iceing . Try not to over do things . I know it difficult. Best wishes Iceman
 
Thank you @TexasTee and Howdy Neighbor, lol. @icep707 nailed it. It's awesome, and I'm really looking forward to getting started again. So...........follow up appt. yesterday. Doc was very happy with my progression. I took my book I had gotten from my PT. It had all of the ROMs listed and he was tickled over that. Staples removed (love that, they were beginning to itch, lol). Doc has cleared me to swim and light upper body workouts. BUT.........(there's always a but it seems) He can't clear me to drive until I'm 6 weeks post op, which is another 4 weeks. Can see myself going stir crazy. Might have to hire a chauffeur for a few weeks, lol. He's also letting me walk around without walker, crutches, cane, as much as I can tolerate, which today has been all day. He said first hint of soreness, to get back on some type of support, whichever works best. He gave me a script for Ambien, so hopefully I can get back to sleeping all night. Lord knows, I need all the beauty sleep I can get, LOL. Well that's pretty much it for my latest up date. Off to do my afternoon round of exercises.
 
@Firemedic124 or @icep707 - have either of you done any of the P90X yogas? Just wondering if it would be different enough to add to the collection...I have all of those. Not sure I'll be able to go back to Bikram - who, interestingly enough, also developed his series when he was told his knees were trashed and there was no going back. Tony Horton's are much easier than Bikram... It was trying to be wonder woman and do the full p90x3 while knowing I was bone on bone that got me my first divot...not really something I was looking for in a knee! Ah well, it's all about living life. I'm guessing I'll be in the stir crazy crowd as well - I can't imagine staying essentially laying down for weeks on end.

At any rate - great going Firemedic and Howdy right back atcha!
 
I use a cane when in public or a crowd...I call it my crowd control, people tend to keep their distance when they see a cane.... I ventured to my high school daughters track meet yesterday and had it with me but have to time I swear I was carrying it because I forget how to use it or to use it


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I never did try P90x. It just always looked too painful lol. They show a lot of modifications on the DDPYoga. I was able to do a lot of the exercises before the surgery. Not really planning on trying until PT and the Doc gives me full release to do it. We have a really nice fitness room at the fire station, and it's only 5 minutes from me, so I'm going to get the captain to come pick me up and go up there and do my upper body workouts. I guess something's better than nothing.
 
I'm going to a big meeting tomorrow. Right now, I'm pretty positive I'll have the cane with me. Like you say, at something to let them know to stay back a few feet, lol.
 
I don't use my cane around the house anymore like you all. I take it out with me as a security blanket but find myself carrying it more then using it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TexasTee I was functioning with a ruptured ACL for over 20 years thus expediting bone on bone activity, plus im sure other ligaments were trashed. PCL I think. So finally im approaching 3 months post op. My recovery has been uneventful. In other words its gone great. I joined bonemart 3 months before my surgery, I really think what I learned was invaluable. I had every apparatus to make my recovery smoother. Particularly 2 body length pillows for elevation and a ice therapy machine. As for the last couple of years I tried Krav Magga , mixed martial arts , px90 and DDP yoga. All activity was cut short due to bone on bone pain. last couple of days ive been bike riding in beautiful sonoma county and doing light exercises. I would love to do cross fit but I doubt ill be able to , I wanna make my implant last for the long long time. Hi impact activity is not recommended, especially with my size. @Firemedic124 I was fairly fatigue my first month and a half, lifting weight was exhausting and did not feel like lifting pre op. It takes awhile, you are doing great. I few co workers of mine did px90 with great success. I got roasted for telling the guys sbout DDP yoga. I finished OPT awhile back but one therapist there was like this yoga gura. While I was more like yogi the bear. It was ugly. Well keep up the great work . Best wishes , sorry about hi jacking your thread .
 
icep707, shoot don't worry. I like the stories, and also hearing of yours and others success!!!
 
Thanks @Firemedic124 and @icep707 - I appreciate all the advice! Still deciding on the op date - either August or if I can make it - to February '15 - I could take the entire 12 weeks off, if (k)needed! in Feb but would have to do 8 if in August and it would be pretty crazy times at work upon my return so doing as much as possible to keep the quad built up with yoga to hold out. I've lasted 6 years longer than my doc originally thought so it's clearly helping!

Ice - I've read your thread, as well - sounds like after a few attempts to overdo it, you've had a pretty ideal recovery - awesome! I already have the ice machine and 2 body pillows are on my list, as well. Considering buying a recliner but my gosh they are ugly! Still I bet one that heated and had massage would be very welcome come post op. Do either of you have/use one?
 
@TexasTee i purchased 2 recliners and a trundle bed specifically for my recovery . Being that I work for a Costco I know they guy the gets all the returns and salvaged and items no longer to be sold . He in fact opened a shop. Lets just say he hooked me up ! The trundle bed I purchased full priced but its leather and pretty cool looking. The 2 recliners were for upstairs and downstairs. Never ever touched either recliner. The trundle bed in my living room was my fortress for 4 weeks. If you perfer a recliner, rent a center rents them for a month, about 90 dollars, money well spent if you were to make a recliner your fortress. BTW when you use the ice therapy machine I would wrap the pad with a ace bandage to make it snug . best of luck . @Firemedic124. You are still very early on in recovery but trust me , time will fly by. How long to you have off work ???
 
@TexasTee That's one of the better things about being old and retired - no worries about having to get back to work or not being able to take enough time off to heal properly. Plus, EVERY DAY is a Saturday! :snork:
 
@icep707 - thanks for the insight - I share my world with a 170lb English mastiff who likes to snuggle...think that the recliner is the safer bet! Did you try using it and didn't like it or just not a fan, in general?

@Phil75070 - Hi neighbor! I could get used to every day being Saturday...nah, I lie - I actually love my job. Assuming it wasn't due to someone chopping off my leg and putting it back together with robo parts, I could embrace the 3 months off thing though!
 
icep707, because I have been off due to it being a work injury, I really don't have a set time. But we're shooting for August 4 to be my first shift back. It will all hinge on what rehab and the dr. says. I'm leaving it in their hands and not trying to force it any sooner than I have to. I really miss it, but when I go back, I want to make sure I'm an asset, not a liability. @TexasTee I have a large leather chair and ottoman that has been my fortress for the last couple of weeks. Neither my dr. nor my PT liked the ice bucket and wrap, so I kept conventional ice packs (the alcohol and water ones) ready all the time and used them regularly.
 
Okay, really needing help. Seems like I have hit a wall. My knee is recovering great, but in the last couple of days, I have been fighting depression like crazy. I ended up back in the ER yesterday afternoon to rule out DVT. Have had pain in lower calf the last couple of days. PT and my Dr. both agreed it was best to check it out. Better safe than sorry. Thankfully the ultrasound was all clear and I was back home in a couple of hours. But it just seems like a cloud is hanging over me that I cannot shake!!! I have read about the regrets of the surgery and this isn't that at all. The not being able to drive for another 3 1/2 weeks is really getting to me. I feel trapped is the best way to describe it I guess. I want to do so much, but at the same time I know doing that would jeopardize the recovery. Is this normal? I hate this because I am most always upbeat and feeling good. My passion is helping others, and to do that I know I have to overcome this. Sorry to be so down, I know this forum is meant to encourage and help out. I guess I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom