Revision TKR Third and final surgery all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB, Good to know! I love it when you all share your struggles because frequently they are the same as mine. Then it gives me hope for my future and what I possibly could attain. Very uplifting for me. Thanks for sharing.
And because @SusieShoes shared her bursa story, it parallels a lot with my problem. That also gives me hope that this is all the swelling spot is, and that it will eventually leave as long as I be nice to it.
I feel greatly encouraged by you and her, with these same or your former nagging problems, offering recommendations, for issues that don't seem like they're ever going to leave. :ok: But now I know that it's a real possibility and I am counting on it:yahoo: but now I know that it's a real possibility and I am counting on it. Are you making even try the bike again for rotation and flexion purposes, but I have to be super careful with this because any stressing the knees, increases my swelling.
 
Last edited:
You definitely don’t want to stress the knee. With an operation date of March 28 I’m thinking your knee is complaining about the gym work. Even with the best knees it’s wise to wait until 5 months for any weight work. My thoughts are to get the swelling down (which is probably worse due to the gym work) then just a few minutes a day rocking the pedals on the bike. I don’t think I mentioned it took me at 2-3 weeks of rocking to get a full rotation, but when I did I let out a squeal in the PT room! But I think the main goal is to settle the knee down from swelling.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @KarriB for being more detailed about your past knee issues. I am one that likes specifics and time frames, to help with my expectations, even though I know I could be different.
I will be holding off on gym workouts for anything from my hips and down. I may go to do some upper body and stomach stuff and see if that's OK, which it should be. I could even do treadmill if it's a rainy day or possibly stairstepper, but I do have stairs at home that I think will be safer than a machine.
My youngest knee is four months old today! Hallelujah! I just want time to pass which means more healing has occurred.
The only bike I have at home to do some rocking on is my regular outside bike that is on a trainer downstairs. I suppose that is what I will do to work on some bend, but of course without stressing it at all.
I really have to watch myself because of my tendency to overdo, because even a little bit over gives me lots of grief.
If I don't have pain doing it, I find myself continuing or going too long. Then I find out later that day and the crabby knee lasts for a couple days or more usually. So it is hard to gauge activity for me.
But I will try and see :-)
 
Stairsteppers are very hard on new knees. Just try to remember, less is best where new knees are concerned. :yes:
 
I will just stay with a few stairs in my home when necessary, instead of the stair stepper machine. It does look ominous right now anyway. That is one activity that I have noticed that hasn't improved much in the last couple months.
I can go up reciprocally, but that newest left side still seems weak, and struggles some from the glutes/hip area, and down.
I still have to go down backwards since I don't have the bend needed to go down forwards without straining the newest knee.
Seems like the mind/body connection and the muscles in the legs have found a new norm, ----- weak, not as coordinated as before surgery, balance is a challenge, and so far are not responding very well to my deliberate attempts to strengthen them.
I will just stay with the walking for exercise and try to increase that.
Thanks for the words of caution, I need that @KarriB.
 
My balance was bad for a looooong time! My PTs even had me use a balance board which was hysterical! Thankfully they gave me something to grab onto as well! You’ll get that strength back after the knee is done healing.
 
@KarriB, thanks for sharing about your former balance problems. Of all the people I have talked to about my issues, no one so far, except you, has mentioned this. So again, I have hope for improvement in this, too.
 
I had issues with balance, also, for almost 6 months. I still do on occasion at 16 months post op.
 
Because I have had three surgeries, and feel I still have bursitis in my 13 month old knee, I don't know which leg is causing me to have the balance problems, probably just both of them along with my head.
Good to know that though @Jockette. Thanks for sharing that.
Honestly, I do have a list of secondary problems from all of this knee business. Sometimes hard to keep track of it all. All I know is I need plenty of improvement in many things.
I feel like the one that comes in last at end of the marathon, two days later :yawn:. and everyone has gone home except my husband :thud:.
 
Last edited:
I feel like the one that comes in last at end of the marathon, two days later :) and everyone has gone home except my husband :)
Aww, :console2:
Honestly, I do have a list of secondary problems from all of this knee business.
I do, too! I had a major vision change, over night, from before and day after surgery, I had to get new glasses and I can’t read anything without them, but I didn’t need reading glasses before surgery. Nerve damage that makes wearing pants very uncomfortable. I never regained the ability to do steps. Still some balance issues. I could go on. :blackcloud:
 
@Jockette, it is so weird how misery loves company but I am in the canoe with you. :kayak:I am sure there are others out there with issues like ours and even worse.
Please try to look forward though and ASSUME things will improve at some point. I keep saying when, instead of If.
I am counting on improvements even if they are five years down the road. It would make me very miserable and depressed to assume I was going to stay like this.
I like to have the availability of choices, and in this situation for you and me, we really don't have a lot of alternate choices. A lot of it is time right now. Thanks for sharing your struggles.

As my dad used to say, better days are coming Deb. And I'm choosing to believe that.
 
Last edited:
Just checking in to see how you are doing???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
How am I doing? About the same I guess. The last two days I have tried not wearing my ace wraps around my knees just to see if I can stand it. The knees feel gross when the extra ace wrap compression is not on, Even though I already wear tight Jobst compression thigh high stockings.
But I am determined to try to make some progress somehow. The sensation is so weird and feels like I don't have feeling in the front and sides of my knee. I know some nerves were cut around the knee cap area, and that it may stay numb or take a long long time to grow back partially. It also just feels better to have more compression, but I am going to try without it for a few days.
As far as walking goes, even if I try 15 minutes, my legs seem to swell up and hurt more and I think it is due to walking on concrete surfaces. I have had a little more success recently using the elliptical for 10 minutes or less. But I can't do that every day either Due to my knees getting mad about that too.
Did contact an attorney, but they told me to reach them in six months to see what deficits I am left with. I expected it, but told them that there were many other issues involved with this whole thing, notably job loss and third surgery, another deductible etc.
I am going to look into another attorney possibly next week. If I get the same answer, then I guess I will stop looking into that option.
It really irks me to think that doctors are shielded from these kinds of mistakes that they make. I just don't understand this and how they got this big umbrella of protection over them when these things occur.
My knees took second place this week due to getting 4 wasp stings in my left arm. My throat started feeling very tight and I felt anxious, so we went to the hospital nearby in their ER parking lot, and sat there for one and a half hours to see if I was actually having a reaction or if it was just anxiety. We left and went home. Thank goodness it wasn't an allergic reaction, just stressful.
Can't say I can bend any better yet, or that my standing and walking tolerance is improved either. But I know that when I don't walk or use the elliptical for a couple days, the legs do seem to feel a little better. They just won't let me do ANYTHING, and I am really sick of it!
Occasionally on this forum, I read where others have had similar struggles to mine, or someone posts that suddenly after 15 or 18 months, they finally started being able to do certain things. That is where my hope is and what I am counting on. I need something to look forward to and encourage me.
 
Thanks so much for the update @kayow11. I’m sorry you are still struggling with your recovery and that progress is slower than you would like. I pray for you every day for it to get better. I also thank you for continuing to document your progress so those of us coming after you and your revision have it as a realistic guide to what to expect. Hugs to you!

I’ve never had an allergic reaction but I’m sure that is was scary getting stung 4 times by wasps. They are mean and nasty and I’d go to the ER too. Hope you ok!

I have a SIL that is an attorney (real estate) and encouraged me to contact a malpractice attorney. I gave her several reasons why I didn’t want to but you know how argumentative lawyers can be. [emoji849] I need to learn to smile and nod pleasantly! I think it would be a real energy drain for me to pursue it now, but maybe in the future. Please let me know how you make out in your pursuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have talked to many people about my situation, and they all say, why don't you get an attorney.? You definitely have a case. But they don't realize that medical malpractice is a whole different animal.
It is very hard to get to doctors. When they make mistakes, it's seems like not much happens unless they leave a wrench inside your body.
I will try one or two more times with attorneys, but I'm not convinced I'll get through. I will keep you all posted though.
I am excited for you, and anticipating your upcoming surgery. I will keep you in my prayers regarding success with this surgery, and hopefully a decent recovery. I know things are improving somewhat, but it is so slow that it's barely noticeable.
But I have to remember my own advice, to pray and trust God with my body and my mind. I also need to be thankful because things could always be much worse. He is in control no matter what. Thanks for your prayers too.
 
Last edited:
:console2::console2:Sending hugs and prayers.
 
If you’re knees are happier with rest, that’s what you should give them right now. I’m hoping this is just a case of every knee recovering at its own pace. I will say that my RTKR leg is larger than my natural left. I don’t think it’s swollen because it bends better than the left, it’s just larger now.
 
@KarriB, I still feel like I have swelling in and around the joint. The angle of bend has not changed either. 95 degrees for 13 month old knee, and 85-90 on 4 month old knee.
They do hurt more and swell some with
too much of any activity, namely standing and walking, especially on hard surfaces. Forcing them to bend more also is aggravating. I keep hoping that the assumed swelling inside is the cause of lack of flexion.
I think there have been a couple others on Bonesmart that had the same problems, but very gradually increased as healing time went on, and swelling decreased.
My neighbor lady who is a couple years older than me, had her first TKR about 6 weeks ago, obese, VERY VALGUS and has been for many years, could bend to 120 degrees in less than a month, and she hasn't needed to use ice after the first 2 weeks since she doesn't have swelling. I think her situation is extraordinary!
And here I am, still with numerous problems it seems. I do get tired of hearing from many, how EVERYONE Is DIFFERENT. I know this, but are not my problems rather ridiculous?
Whoa Nellie, I have to just back up and quit complaining. More time for healing. I just hope I'm not singing the same tune 6-12 months from now. :horseriding:
 
I can only say that at 2.5 months TKR post op and 1.5 months after infection surgery I went to see Wicked in Pittsburgh. It was a half hour drive, dinner (without knee elevated) sitting at the theater and then the drive home. I didn’t have to walk to the theater as my niece dropped me off at the door. By the time we were driving home my leg felt like a sausage in casing. I had spent 95% of my time elevated after infection surgery and although my knee wasn’t swollen, it also wasn’t bending either. But that night had just been too much and I had to peel my trousers off, lay flat on the sofa with my legs up on the arms and ice packs on my knee. It was midnight, however just laying in bed wasn’t going to help.

My dad barely elevated after both TKRs and never iced. He was back to his regularly activities at 2 months, but his THR...yikes! Most will say TKRs are harder than a THR, but he would say the opposite. My mother nearly moved out during the THR recovery. So when I say we’re all different we really are.

I’m pretty sure I mentioned this before, but I was around 95 flexion at 4 months and stayed there for quite a few months. I was able to ride the bike with 95 and that managed to keep it loose. At about 20 months I was in a pool and realized I was squatting in the water and I swam everyday! It just took me a while due to very compromised soft tissue.
 
@KarriB, thanks for reminding me about your struggles and limited motion too. It helps me to settle down and feel a little better about my situation.
I just need/desire some kind of notable breakthrough because it seems like everything has been mostly the same for a few months now. I know I've improved but things seem minuscule.
But since I am a practical and realistic person, I just rationalize it all by reminding myself that I really didn't have any options in any of my surgeries. It all had to be done and my attitude towards it all needs to stay positive so i'm not miserable. I have to keep pulling myself back into a disposition of thankfulness and so glad that things are not worse, and I can still walk. Not much though :sad:
Thanks for coming to my rescue and responding as you frequently do. It is a blessing to me :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom