Thigh Pain

Sorry that you're having such a difficult journey but it looks like there is a plan to fix things that you can go with. Hope the surgery is soon.
Elaine
 
I know it must make you anxious but so glad you are on the list and will be getting this fixed.
We are all pulling for you.
 
Gosh what a long road to travel, it is good to know they have a plan, we all hope that once the original replacement is done that it is over, and I am very sorry you are dealing with all of this, sending positive thoughts and energy your way


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is heartbreaking to read, I'm so sorry your journey has taken this turn.

Stories such as yours can't help but stir up emotion in all of us. It's a scenario that lives in the back of our minds, one we don't care to visit often, or at length.

I understand these situations are rare but also a reality for some. While it may feel you are walking this path alone just envision us on the sidelines, cheering you on in compassion with words of encouragement, prayer and hope for a brighter future. While it may not seem like it now.....this to shall pass.

Sending a warm hug and a reminder that we'll be here to encourage you in love with words of inspiration along the way.

A peaceful day to you.
 
Hi,
I am so pleased for you that you now have the plan in place. Hope everything goes well and that you are soon on the road to a proper recovery.
Thinking of you and wishing you well,
Diane
 
I have been given a date for surgery, 19th September, so I can now prepare myself. My surgeon is going to take everything out and has ordered a replacement with a much longer stem. Everything has been set up, the microbiologists etc. I have my pre assessment in a few days followed by hip school on the same day. I have had enough experience now that I could probably give the lecture myself!
The pain is controllable if I don't overdo it and I remember to take tramadol every 4 hours. That means I sometimes take 10 or even 12 capsules a day. I have found that slow release tramadol has no effect and it is only the short acting medication which helps. I also take an anti-inflammatory Naproxen twice a day. I go to the gym twice a week and only do exercises for the upper body. I ride an exercise bike using my left leg only. After about 2-3 minutes my left thigh says enough.
It is like living in limbo at present as there are many things I need to do but can't. We have been in the process of moving house for over a year but have not been able to put our house up for sale due to the uncertainty caused by my hip saga.
For all those contemplating having hip surgery my story is rather extreme and is an unlikely scenario for the vast majority of people. It is not over yet but I feel that I am now on the home straight.
c.davies2


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi c.davies2 Wow you have been through the mill, sounds like everything that could go wrong did! I'm so glad your op is scheduled and wish you every success. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that any minor worries/problems we hippies have are put into perspective when reading yours!! Warm wishes for an uncomplicated recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow good luck. I admire your positive attitude. It will server you well in days to come!
 
I am now two weeks into my One Step Revision of An Infected hip replacement. My surgeon took out the old hip replacement, took multiple samples of bone for culturing and put in a new modified hip replacement with a longer stem. He said afterwards the the old prosthesis was quite loose in my femur so it was easy to take out. The looseness explained the the thigh pain I had been experiencing beforehand. It has now completely gone.
I am now a course of 2 antibiotics for at least 6 weeks. I am taking Rifampicin ( anti-TB drug) by mouth and Teicoplanin intravenously. I have a PICC line so I can give the antibiotic to myself everyday. I have a tube inserted in my arm which goes into a large vein. The end of the tube is situated in the major vessel which drains into the heart.
So far everything has gone well and I am going through the usual process of recuperation.
I attend the hospital weekly to check my PICC line and take blood etc. No new bugs have been grown from culture so far but I am on the best combination of antibiotics.
c.davies2


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad to hear things are going so well post-op for you, c.davies2. Too bad you had the two complications of infection and a loose stem, but good that you got the new stem and infection treatment. What a journey you have been on! Good luck in future. :SUNsmile:
 
Sounds like you are on the right track @c.davies2 ! Well done on hanging in there through all this!
 
Hi there...
Hopefully things are finally on track.
Wishing you the best as you continue on your journey.
A great week to you @c.davies2
 
I am now 4 months following the revision of the revision of my R hip replacement. I took antibiotics for three months including 1 month of IV antibiotics via a PICC line inserted in my main vein draining into the heart. So far things have gone well. No wound infection and the pain has gone. No more tramadol. I have returned to working part time.
I am very pleased with the outcome. After two and a half years
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great update @c.davies2 ! Such a long journey for you. Glad you are getting on with life again!
 
Glad to read that you’re doing so well after everything that you’ve been through
 
:egypdance::happydance::egypdance:
Great update! Hope all keeps getting better and better!
 
Back
Top Bottom