These Posts scare me out of having replacement July 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jillie422I think it's just these last few weeks before surgery which are hard.

BINGO! The anticipation of the last pre-op days can be brutal :) One thing that may help is this thought. While post op you will be very sore, the first time they get you on your feet you will realize that the horrible grinding pain that brought you to THR Land is gone! This realization makes wating for surgery, and dealing with post-op soreness entirely dealable :)

Kyle
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking about this and reminding myself every time I struggle to get up from the chair or set off to go upstairs. I feel like my life is on hold until it's done. Trying very hard to focus on that post op world.
 
It helped me to see some friends who had also had hip replacements. I had danced with them thirty-five years ago. They were all walking normally, smiling, and back at work. They told me not to be afraid.

The main thing is to take your meds at the hospital and after the surgery so that you stay ahead of the pain. They do an excellent job of numbing the area.

It can also help to focus on preparing your home, meals, and schedule. It's really worth it. I'm so glad I had this surgery. None of my fears came true. It was so much milder and easier than I expected.
 
I'm there with you all. I've watched my world shrink into a little ball of pain and my life is being defined by it. The surgery does scare me. However I have had my gall bladder removed, two hernia repairs and a ankle fracture fixed, so I know what to expect when I go into surgery. I
know I want the pain gone. I selected a surgeon in Tucson AZ because there are no doctors where I live that specializes in hips. I feel comfortable with him and will be happy when it's over.
 
@belweav Since your world has been reduced to that little ball of pain that defines your life, you'll rejoice at the reality and liberation of your former pain free self!! I feel like I'm 35 again! Before surgery I had the demeanor of someone 85, hobbling around with my cane with that grimace of pain on my face.

I'm excited for your upcoming date! :yes!:
 
I know. I feel like this little old lady and I'm in my 50s. Someone at work said I had this mean look on my face and asked if I was mad. I said nope, just concentrating on making it to the printer without falling.
 
Other than the pain I'm worried I won't pass the nicotine test. Test is scheduled for July 5th. Ive been sneaking cigarettes. I've quit before however I didn't have this awful pain. I keep telling myself I have to do it. Please pray for me.
 
@julesglass That would have me looking for a new surgeon. I understand that nicotine may impede healing, but it sounds to me like your surgeon may have an additional agenda.

Just one man's opinion.

Kyle
 
That's weird. If you're a heavy smoker who goes into hospital here they will prescribe nicotine patches rather than have you go through withdrawal at the same time as everything else. I always thought it was the smoking that was bad for you rather than the nicotine.
 
I smoked prior to my surgery, but cut down to only 4 or 5 a day for the 10 days prior to surgery. My OS never said anything about smoking, but I knew it would benefit me to at least cut down or quit altogether. Quitting wasn't an option but cutting back wasn't that hard, with the patch. Following surgery, they put the patch on me and for the next 2 weeks, I wore one. I healed great and my recovery went very smoothly. As someone else mentioned, it does sound like your OS may have a hidden agenda.
 
@Royal1383 Hi I just joined today and am frightened as well, I kept putting it off due to I could walk and tolerate the pain it was off and on and now it is more and more and sometimes all the time for simple chores,...so that is why I joined the forum today so I can start the road of information......yeah some stories are going to be bad. But like the folks say on here prep and having a trusted doctor helps. I am still working my way through this the pain is coming closer and closer to saying yes....but still not quite there at least today but close ...wink:tiredwheel:
 
@ kwarendorf I think you're right, there is a agenda about the smoking. They want me to quit smoking. I watched my husband get worse and worse after he was diagnosed with copd. Yes he smoked, however he also was a professional body man since 70s. Personal safety was not inforced as is today. I found out his breathing problem started years before diagnosed. I do want to quit, however it is hard.
 
I understand your fears, I had them too. Focus on your pain free future and you'll find more courage.

I am almost 6 years post-op. I can't remember the last time I thought about my hip. It feels totally natural, and I have not had any pain in 5 years. The post operative recovery period goes by fast, although it won't seem that way. Like many who've had a THR I wish I would have had it sooner.

This forum was a great help to me then, and with a TKR coming two weeks today, it'll be my go to source.

I wish you well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom