Bilateral TKR The Waiting Game.......is over

Thanks for checking up!
Things are going pretty well. Only doing organized physio once a week starting after staples came out last week (that's the standard sched here in Alberta) but heel slides and lots of walking every day. Last physio was 6 days ago so I will be back tomorrow to find out what I've accomplished this week. I have a great physio who Knows my lifestyle and with whom I work really well.
When I left hospital my OS gave me 80 Percocet, 80 Tramacet and 80 Tylenol 3...told me "You know the limits, figure out a schedule that works for you ". So now I'm pretty well only using Percocet at night and just got some more Tramacet from my Family Doc. I still find T3s dont quite last 4 hours. Also still not really enjoying 1:00-4:00am!
Had a bit of a scare at 7 days when I got really short of breath. Got totally worked up with a fancy CT scan and ruled out a pulmonary embolus. Turned out that the transfusion limit here is a hemoglobin of 80. With a BTKR I dropped to 78(borderline) in hospital in day 3. Most people start with hemoglobin of ~120. I started at 150 so my drop was 25% more significant. By the time we figured all that out I was actually feeling good again so am just dutifully taking my iron every day.
Started walking around the backyard in the sun yesterday...Nice. I have a friend nearby who had a single TKR one week after me...we'll probably join each other for an occasional walk soon.
Several people have asked me if I'm still happy that I did both at once...Absolutely!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't realize that low iron would cause shortness of breathe. You learn something every day! You sound like you're doing really well! It's a good thing you could get more meds from you GP. Many OSs just don't get it.
 
Yesterday was 5 weeks post BTKR. The logical half of my brain thinks that I'm doing well enough but the emotional side needs some reassurance. I feel like a complainer in view of what some are putting up with but I'm kind of bottoming out this week
So, with apologies, here's where I am....
I've been essentially walking unaided for almost 2 weeks...sometimes grab my crutches in the evening if I'm sore.
Physio says my gait is really good/normal. Driving in town, not highway. Walk around the house, lots of stairs, around the backyard and short trips to store/Starbucks maybe once a day. ROM last week was 104/7 left and 100/9 right. Quad strength on the right is OK, REALLY good on the left....poor old R knee needed way more soft tissue work to correct knock-knee.
I only go to physio once a week and my PT is excellent. Do some heel slides once a day. Play a bit each day on my bike pedals. I could pedal with my L foot but R doesn't always make it around so I can't really spin at home yet. Weekly at physio I can go 5-10 minutes (0 resistance) on their dedicated exercise bike.
Sleep isn't good but that's my fault cuz I'm a stomach sleeper...managed 4 restless hours that way last night.
I've got enough meds and am using them but I'm never totally pain free.
Lots of icing although R knee aches with too much cold right along the lateral edge of the femoral implant where there's not much padding under the skin?? Not swollen, no redness, scars look amazing, just really frustrated, not so much about what I can/can't do but just wishing that I could occasionally feel "normal" again. Five weeks seems such a long time to only be this far.
Still 100% happy that I did this Bilateral but really bummed out today that I needed to.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You do so much more than me and I only had one knee replaced within a few days of your Bilateral-! I say this just to reassure you that you have come a very long way in your recovery- further than most at 5wks!
 
Yesterday was 5 weeks post BTKR. The logical half of my brain thinks that I'm doing well enough but the emotional side needs some reassurance. I feel like a complainer in view of what some are putting up with but I'm kind of bottoming out this week
At 5 weeks, you're still in the angry tissue stage. Your mind says "I want to do more" but your body says "i'm not ready for that yet." Although it sees so slow, youv'e actually made a lot of progress. Hang in there now and allow yourself time to heal. You're going to be surprised how much more you can accomplish in another 5 weeks.
It's a bit like this: Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

This recovery is a huge trial of patience, but it's totally worth it.
[Bonesmart.org] The Waiting Game.......is over
.
 
...walking unaided for almost 2 weeks...my gait is really good...lots of stairs, ...ROM last week was 104/7 left and 100/9 right... Quad strength on the right is OK, REALLY good on the left....
I only go to physio once a week and my PT is excellent...Not swollen, no redness, scars look amazing..

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Reread just these excerpts - you are having a great recovery! Keep it up and you will soon be less frustrated and feel more normal. Even with a great recovery, it's hard to be patient but you are doing so well! Read in the beginning how tired you were (as we all are) and now you are doing so much more.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks all!! I sincerely appreciate your support, each and every one. You folks are the only ones who appreciate what a grind this process can be day in and day out.
I'm still always stiff and sore and constantly aware of my knees but I have managed to spend at least a few hours sleeping on my stomach for the last 3 nights which is really big.
Also managed to do 50 revolutions several times a day, two days in a row on my bike trainer with NO next day backlash so this week is ending on much more of an up note.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another good day!! Had my 6 week follow-up (@7 weeks) today. The Senior Resident came in to see me first...looked at my left knee, checked for swelling and the scar and asked me to walk back and forth and told me I was doing very well. When I climbed back up onto the exam table he looked at my right knee and asked "When was that done?"....I said "Same day"....He said "No way! You're amazing!"...I said "Thanks for the compliment, it hasn't been a totally easy ride but given the choice I'd do it again."

My OS came in, asked me to walk back and forth. He said "Great, looks like your ROM is on track, just keep doing what you're doing and I'll see you and get X-rays in another 2 months. Any questions? You OK for meds?"

Then I saw the clinic physio who asked me to show her my ROM so she could record measurements and said "Don't worry about my numbers, most people are up to 10 degrees off after sitting in the waiting room and not warming up. Keep on as you have been and you'll be back on your bike before you know it."

Up here all of the joint replacement OS docs are part of the Alberta Hip and Knee Clinic. They follow the same protocols and constantly monitor results and efficiency. I haven't come across anyone who wasn't 100% supportive. I know some of you US people are skeptical about Canadian healthcare but while I'm still only 7 weeks out I doubt that I could have had a more positive experience anywhere and it seems that they believe in letting knees heal themselves with just a bit of guidance.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:wowspring:You are doing great! You are proof that most PT and OS in the US are wrong with their thinking and it's time for a change.
 
Thx...and thinking back none of the physios I've seen ( hospital, Calgary clinic, my local PT) have ever "helped" either knee into further flexion or extension. They just say....OK, show me what you can do and check the goniometer.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PTs and OS, in the US, have been very good, with reasonable approach and never harmful. The controversy over correct approach has people on both sides in every country as far as I have seen...hopefully the trend will be away from such aggressive PT for most cases everywhere but people are slow to change.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT has been extra gentle and helpful, never harmful. I think the trend is changing; find cutting edge PT's. Mine is always warming up, massaging, and doing gentle stretches to my knees. They listen and respond to me. I feel blessed.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom