Bilateral TKR The "tweens" Thelma and Louise were born 11 Jan, 2016

My temperature was up and down after surgery also. It fluctuated for weeks. I was told if it got to 101 degrees, then I was to call. I am like you and have a lower "normal" temperature. If you had other symptoms along with the elevated temperature - then you should call also. Good luck, you are doing great.
 
the nurse did not consider this a fever, I certainly felt over heated. I was concerned about infection. The nurse explained this was "normal" with "bone surgeries".
They call it aseptic traumatic pyrexia, and it's quite common.
 
the conference responses to my rebuttal were mainly blank faces, there is no arguing the numbers.
Pardon me while I :rofsign:! I got exactly the same reaction when I told my surgeon's registrar that! He eventually told me I had been very lucky! NOT!
I speak the lingo because I work in the medical industry
Oh you do? Do tell me more! By PM if you prefer.
Low grade fever - Wondering how others have faired.
They call it aseptic traumatic pyrexia
Do they? Celle, I have learned something new! That deserves an article!
Because the baseline of 98.6 was being referenced, not MY baseline of 97.6
Yes, why do they do that? My baseline is 97 and I can be very unwell when running a temp of 98.4!
 
Hello all, tomorrow I have my first outpatient PT Evaluation followed an hour later by my OS follow up to remove my staples, cant wait to take a proper shower without the plastic bags to protect the incisions.

I'm maintaining my med schedule and as a result my pain is minimal, I've also been icing (top and bottom of knee) and elevating regularly so there has been no spike in pain, only occasional discomfort since leaving acute rehab last Thursday, and for the last 3/4 days I've been resting my knees, walking in the house with my walker and minor recumbent bicycle exercises, nothing radical. Sleeping is a challenge, I can sleep on my left side (best knee post op), but can not do so on my right side or my stomach.

My right knee, as I've mentioned earlier has been giving me the most pain. I know that each knee is different. I have tightness and soreness on both knees, the back of my right knee however gives me the most discomfort, seems like my lateral ligaments and connections to my thigh muscles are really stretched or injured, I felt this right out of surgery, so I cant blame PT, although I certainly think the aggressive protocol did aggravate the problem. It's been two weeks today since surgery and this pain/discomfort has not subsided or diminished. When can I expect some relief? Any suggestions?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, 15 days Post Op I had my first outpatient PT evaluation yesterday 1/26/16, followed by my first OS follow up visit to remove staples. My right knee is still complaining, ham strings are tight and achy, lots of heaviness front to back of knee. Still maintaining light activities at home, I've been icing and resting for the past 5 day.
The PT went through the check list and measured. I was able to perform all activities, leg lifts, standing on toes, walking, etc. ROM L Flx 110, Ext -8, R Flx 105, Ext -10 with no assist from PT. This is actually an improvement from my measurements after leaving the Acute Rehab. I doubted myself and was afraid that my numbers had gotten worse, I was extremely pleased with the new measurements. I asked the PT supervisor to change my schedule from 3 to 2 visits per week, she suggested I supplement with independent exercises pending OS approval.
I then went across the hall to my OS visit. X-rays were taken, AP and Lat, the staples where taken out without incident. The OS used a special tool similar to a cuticle clipper that slides under the staple with a third bar in the center that clamps down in the center of the staple, crimping it in the middle and simultaneously causing the two ends to pop up with out ripping the skin, very clever.
I discussed PT schedule with the OS, he insisted I needed the PT. I reviewed my current measurements and the state in which I left rehab, which, in my opinion set me back and caused me additional pain and it was way too intensive. He cautiously agreed. I committed to do the independent exercises and re-evaluate PT in a couple of weeks. He reviewed the X-rays and all looks good. I will return for a second follow up in 2 weeks.
 
It sounds like you're progressing nicely! Your numbers are great! And I know it was a relief to get those staples out. The way you described it sounds pretty pain free. Through all my surgeries I have never had staples, just the old-fashioned sutures. They can hurt coming out if the PA isn't gentle. It sounds like your right knee had to have more work done to it than the left one. Keep up the BS mantra and very easy therapy and I bet before long you'll be back to a new, better feeling self really soon!
 
Those staples are bit frightening if we have never had them before, but, just like the surgery, it turns out to be really no big deal---the pain is very minimal.

Congratulations on taking another step in recovery!
 
I think what you are experiencing is normal. I didn't have both done at the same time, but my left knee was worse pre-op and I had it done first. It had started to bow out and I had a lot of muscle pain and calf pain in that leg for months after surgery. Couldn't sleep on that side for months either afterwards. I think the realigning they do to straighten the leg is a big part of that. With my right knee, while I didn't have as much pain pre-op until after I had the left knee replaced, my doctors had always told me it was worse on x-ray and sure enough when the surgeon got in there it had a lot more bone damage than the first one and I had to have my knee cap resurfaced which the first one didn't require. I didn't have the muscle tightness and pain and slept on my side from the beginning but boy has the pain been much worse with this one. Even now at 7 months postop I still ice at night and if I overdo it at the gym it lets me know. I feel fine with walking and can do stairs up and down like a normal person, I just hope that "normal" feeling will soon appear. I can't complain because I'm so much better than I was before and I'd do it again in a heartbeat but I was just surprised this one has given me more problems than the 1st one.
 
Sounds like you're doing well. Remember it's early days and you will continue to progress slowly but surely.
 
Hello friends, tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my BTKR surgery and my third PT appointment. I had my second PT Friday, but was not measured, however, every test the PT performed was successful and the PT was amazed at my range within 2 1/2 weeks.
My incisions look well healed and I have minimal or no visible swelling. I'm alternating short walks inside the house with resting, elevating, icing and simple flex and stretch exercises. I try not to stand up more than 10 minutes at a time, at which time my knees begin to feel tight and heavy. I take my meds by the clock, around the clock and haven't felt much pain except some discomfort in the evening and at night after last Friday's PT session, so I iced a bit more over night. I got my meds refilled Friday, but they wont last until the OS is back in the office next Tuesday, I told my OS's assistant, but she said "we'll take it one day at a time", URGH!! I'm fretting the pain with insufficient meds Monday after my PT session. I'm considering asking my OS's office to authorize my Primary to write the scripts, he will not write them without authorization.
I can sleep on my left (better knee) side, but I can not sleep on the right (worse knee) side yet due to Extension. I've tried to get on my stomach to see if I can tolerate that position to sleep, but the ham strings are too tight and cannot manage to stretch.
I do use my walker at night, after waking at night and in the AM, my knees are stiff and wobbly, the right, I can't hardly put pressure on due to the tightness of my ham strings.
I'm extremely pleased with my progress at barely 3 weeks, I'm a little frustrated waking each day seemingly at the same level as the day before and not making progress in this area. When will this stiffness diminish? What can I do to improve in this area?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Time will help with stiffness and less swelling.
 
You don't really notice a difference day to day--I seemed to be aware of progress more in retrospect.
 
@MerciQ, we haven't heard from you in almost a week. How are you doing? Were you able to get more pain meds?
 
Hi All, @sistersinhim, thanks for checking on me. Well, had my two PT visits last week, great PT, she has followed my request to keep it gentle and I think that has helped greatly. My last measurements were R Flex 120, L Flex 122 (my "bad" knee!), still giving me the most achiness though, L Ex -8 and R Ex -10. I'm also using my recumbent bike at least twice a day, at a slow pace for 5 to 10 minutes to work on the extension.

I did manage to get an extension for my pain meds but my OS, through his assistant, referred me to a pain management doctor, "he doesn't feel comfortable managing my pain, not his specialty" :hairpulling: I made an appointment, was driven to the Dr's office nearly 40 minutes each way, trekked through the hospital campus on my walker to find the doctor's office locked! :censored: Called and was told my appointment was for "tomorrow, you must be confused", I lost it, "no, I'm not confused, someone at your end screwed up. I specifically explained that I needed the appointment for today due to lack of pain meds". Hung up and called my OS. Spoke to the assistant, related what happened, told her I was on my way and to have a script ready, as I could not take a another step and just hung up. My script was ready when I arrived. I gave the OS's assistant a polite mouthful, she was very apologetic.

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my BTKR. Earlier this week I was feeling a bit down. After having had great progress by all accounts, I did not notice any progress this week, but my scars look really good, Pic is at 3 weeks.
[Bonesmart.org] The "tweens" Thelma and Louise were born 11 Jan, 2016


After experiencing minor, to no swelling, Wednesday evening, after PT I noticed a small area of swelling and pain on both knees on the interior, lower quadrant, there was no strenuous activity at PT, so not sure if there is a relationship. I started to take an over the counter NSAID and gently self massaged in an upward motion in an effort to try and flush the lymph glands behind the knees. Then the last two nights I noticed that I slept better with less tossing and turning. I'm able to walk for short periods throughout the house without thinking about my knees (!), but I don't over do it, I do begin to feel tightness on both knees when I do. I'm able to stand from the (raised) recliner with less effort than before. Sleeping on my sides has become easier, but still more difficult on my right side. I'm medicated around the clock, so I've experienced no pain. I definitely need my walker when I first wake up, I can not put any weight on my right leg without assistance, extremely stiff. Once I take a few steps, usually to the bathroom, I'm able to walk OK. I've maintained the icing and legs are raised when I'm not standing or walking.

I didn't expect overnight progress and prepared myself for a difficult recuperation, not seeing better progress at 3 weeks, was getting to me, this surgery is definitely a "rollercoaster". with a minor progress the last 2 days has certainly given me a second wind and a mood change. I have not regretted my bilateral decision and not having the arthritic pain has been just amazing.

I see my OS on Tuesday and I hope to get an update on my driving status, I'm literally climbing the walls, I hate depending on others, but I know I may have to wait a bit longer. I've reduced my pain meds to one Oxycodone 5/325 every 4 hours from 2, on my own. I hope to convince my OS to continue to manage my pain meds without going to the pain doctor, which is a hardship.

I still hope to be able to work remote in a couple of weeks and possibly back to my normal travel routine in 2 to 3 weeks after that, Oh, and be able to have an adult beverage :beer:. I will re-evaluate and determine if this is "doable" at each phase and wont move prematurely. I do hope my body responds favorably in the next week or two, keeping my fingers crossed, if only to keep "cabin fever" at bay.

Thank you and keep me in your thoughts and prayers. :angel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, your progress is great. But it's perfectly normal to feel bummed out at around the three week point, as it sounds like you've been experiencing. You'll feel this way periodically for seemingly no reason at all, but it should improve in a month or so. Maybe more.
 
Thanks, @PolarBear60, everyone I've encountered, clinical professionals, fellow TKR people and lay persons tell me how great I'm doing and I do believe it. I'm just so impatient! The inactivity is playing tricks on my mental status and I notice the dark thoughts creeping in. I've been lurking in the Depression thread and that has helped a bit to not feel so alone. I do think that once I can resume driving and can walk a bit longer than 10 minutes my mental attitude will improve. Just better sleep the last two nights has given me a renewed perspective.
 
Hang in there. You are doing great. Every day you get through is one day you don't have to live again and gets you closer to recovery.
 
@MerciQ Hi! I know the inactivity is a bummer..I've been working with it for a while. Getting a good nights sleep helps everything:) It will be nice to work from home, it will give you something to do. I am lucky enough to work from home. Don't be surprised if your concentration isn't 100% or you tire quickly. When I was still taking the pain meds I tended to zone out on the computer screen if I was on it too long. Had to get up, move around and stretch a bit. But at least I felt I was doing something constructive with my time.
 
MerciQ I think you are doing great! I really liked how you stood up for yourself over the pain meds :thumb: I understand about wanting to start work again, but remember that it will be hard to back off if you get exhausted from starting too soon, so take all the time you can now. Read a book, binge watch a great TV show, knit a sweater, write silly poems - all of these will give you some mental activity, but you can also nap when you get tired. And they may help keep those thoughts of frustration at bay - they did for me.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom