TKR the torment of constantly moving legs make me regret the whole thing

I had a type of restless leg syndrome both before my first knee replacement and afterwards. Amazingly (and quite a surprise to my surgeon), the knee replacement actually stopped the problem for the most part BUT....it wasn't immediate and took place over that full year of recovery people always talk about.

One thing that helped me with restless legs was to place a heating pad on the small of my back. There is a nerve center there that can be helped by the soothing heat.

You're not seeing a lot of scientific information on restless legs because there isn't a lot there. It's a complex condition and it can sometimes be a problem during a knee replacement recovery. If you want to try and research, you can do searches for scientific studies at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=restless+legs . I'll just caution you to read these scientific documents carefully as it's easy to misinterpret the information, especially when the problem is related to a knee replacement. There are many reasons why people get restless legs. If you have any questions about something you read, you can post a link to the document along with your question and we'll help you wade through the scientific jargon.

One other possible cause of continuing restless legs is over activity during the day. How about letting us know what a typical day looks like for you? It would help if you describe details of any therapy or exercises you do along with how much time you spend icing and elevating. Include any household chores or running errands you do as well as work. It is possible that you're doing too much for this soon in your recovery.
 
Dealing with RLS, not fun. Had TKR April 22, 2021, left knee. Thinking of going off of Tramadol (2 at bedtime) as the pain is not really the issue at this point. Wake up after one hour with pulses of nervy waves that require a shift of position. If I resist shifting the leg, it pulses to an uncomfortable crest then repeats 30 seconds later. After some time I am totally awake from the struggle. Otherwise most of my recovery journey has been pretty decent, still some problems with leg extension. I noticed one member mentioned that Benadryl seemed to cause RLS and I've been taking Tylenol PM which does have Benadryl. Also will try Magnesium. Appreciate all the advice...
R
 
I have suffered from RLS for years, even before it was given a name. For the last 10-12 years I have taken ropinirole on a nightly basis. after my TKR, the “creepy crawlies” as I call them became so severe and were constant. Because of the limiTed movement in my surgical leg I was experiencing muscle spasms. I split my ropinirole in half and took half every 12 hours to keep it in my system which alleviated the discomfort. I have also started a magnesium lotion on my legs but it is too soon to determine it’s effect.
 
I read that the soap needed to contain magnesium for it to help; checked the ingredients of all the types of soap they had at the supermarket but none had magnesium.
Any soap will do. It doesn't have to contain magnesium.
Do you leave it in the package or put it in something else? Just a naked bar of soap in the bed seems kind of gross.
Take it out of the packet and put it beneath the bottom sheet.
There's nothing gross about doing that.
A new bar of soap is clean.
 
I went today for my three month xray. All is good. My range of motion is 114. I know it will improve with daily activities. I still have swelling. My surgery was March 8th. I have read a lot on here about ice machines. I am in Ontario Canada and don't know anyone who used a machine. I just used, and still use, large gel ice packs. They are inexpensive and freeze well. I also found the restless leg movements calmed down when I put baby cream on my rtkr ...a zinc based cream. I also started taking gravol, which calms muscles. I hope you feel better soon. My leg drove me crazy with being too sensitive.
 
Restless legs..
I posted earlier to reply. I used zinc cream lathered all over my leg. I took magnesium daily. I also took gravol along with torodol at night to sleep. Yes I woke up, but not nearly as often. When you don't sleep you are so frustrated, get cranky and in my case, cry at the drop of a hat. I kept reading posts....knowing it would get better, and it has.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom