TKR The Snail and Her Walker - A Slowpoke's Recovery<

I’m sorry the therapist was so pushy with you and I think you’re doing the wise thing in not returning. Be careful with the elliptical though, I found it to be hard on my knees. What I did find that helped was plain old walking. Just two short walks a day (I started with 10 min) that I added 5 minutes to each week helped with my muscle tone more than any exercises I did. Since what we want from our knees is walking, it just made sense to walk. I started quite a while after my TKR, but @SusieShoes did short walks during her recovery.
 
Thanks, @KarriB. I agree, walking is the best! I'm doing about an hour a day total, all inside because it's so cold outside! Going to the pool almost every other day and have worked up to 30 minutes of walking forward, backward, sideways, and marching. That has helped a lot. Still, I don't have the strength to walk without crutches (other than the Frankenstein walk). The fact that I've been walking with assistance since July 9th is a major contributor, I'm sure. Would have been better to have had more time to heal between replacements so I would have a good leg, but can't go back now.

I have an elliptical at home and have been looking at it longingly for several weeks. Since my goal for myself is to walk without crutches when I return to the office on 12/17, I decided to give it a go today. The thing I like about it is that there is no point in the cycle where I'm standing on only one leg; I'm supported by both throughout and have both moving and stationary handles to hold on to, plus it gives me a full stride, which is more than I'm able to do safely on my own with crutches. I spent 10 minutes on it today, no resistance or elevation. Hard to get the newer right knee around the top of the arc at first because my hip was trying to do the work, like you mentioned when your PT put hurdles down for you to keep that hip tamed. But a lot of that was me being so nervous and tense. Once I relaxed and let it happen, it did. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Isn't that the way it goes? This is all such trial and error. So exciting!!! (Not! :flabber:)
 
Wow, sounds like you’re really active! I can understand your concern about the crutches. Are you able to use a cane around the house? It took me a really long time to put the cane away and I still use it for long distances because of my left knee.
 
Yes, it is exciting. You've crossed another bridge! 10 minutes is pretty long for your first try. I hope you have no pain from it tomorrow.
 
I tried using a cane @KarriB but since I don't have a "good" side, I'm very unstable on it. It worked well for me while recovering from right THR, but using it now causes me to lean on it too much which will activate a lower back issue. Don't need that! I'm focusing on standing straight and I can't make it work with a cane unfortunately. But thank you for the suggestion.

The 10 minutes whizzed by @sistersinhim! If I am sore tomorrow it might be because of that or from walking with hubby as my support. Did about 10 minutes holding on to his arms while he walked backwards, then I put on a gait belt and he stabilized me from behind for around five minutes. I looked like a baby Frankenstein learning to walk, flapping my arms for balance and moving from one solid object to another. But it forces me to tighten my core and glutes as I gear up to take the next step. Exhausting, but freeing! Love crossing those bridges!
 
OK, so I can't use one crutch, but I CAN use two! :eyebrows: That challenges my core and glutes like the gait belt does. Maybe I'll even be able to go to one cane at some point before nothing. Just completed five minutes around the house and the back of my right knee is screaming, so time to sit down. But I did it! :happydance: And because I'm not taking longer strides, my left knee didn't have the chance to give out like it often does.

After elliptical and gait-belt walking yesterday, knees were barely more painful this morning than they are every morning, so I think I'm on to something! Another ten-minute session later today, more cane and gait-belt walking, bike several times a day followed by hamstring stretches, then pool-bottom walking tomorrow. I'm so active I can just feel those extra pounds dripping off me! :running:
 
Look at you go TeeCup. Use some level of caution so you don’t suddenly slide backwards. Awesome to hear about your successes.
 
Some people have found hiking poles help them move from away from crutches. I can’t remember which members have used them right now.
 
Received my Foxelli trekking poles today. Awesome! I'm able to walk around with just one, though using both really lets me work my knees, quads, glutes, and core while giving me that little bit of stability I need to walk correctly.

Have had a great week of pool walking and quad strengthening. I'm able to walk around a bit without any assistance, though choppy. The pool was just what I needed to get me over the hump! :walking:
 
@Teecup
May I ask what you do in the pool? I tried about a week ago but it went HORRIBLY wrong. From the changing and walking to the pool to the water touching my leg and it seizing to getting out and showering - it just was awkward and painful. Any help or advice? I so want to go back and used to swim every night for an hour. I know I can do that but I’ll take anything in there right now!!
 
Traceys my knee didn’t like the pool. PT put me in at 4 weeks the first (and only) time, for a 50 minute session. Countsless knee bending excercises and lots of walking. And they made me come out foot over foot up the pool steps. I hadn’t done that yet. It took 3 days to recover.

A couple of months later our community pool opened and I went there occasionally over the summer but my knee always felt swelled up in the pool. It kind of feels that way when shower water hits it, too, even at this late post op date.

It’s so frustrating. My knee has been very uncooperative.
 
Happy to share @traceys!
First, I have my suit on under my clothes so I just strip down to my suit and don't mess with the shower stalls. I'm usually a strict rule follower, but that would be too much for me. I'm clean before I go, so I think it's OK. Plus I've never seen anyone else shower before they go in, so it's the norm not to. When I get out, I go to a shower stall with seat, take off wet clothes and put on dry. I leave and shower at home after I've rested and eaten something.

The pool I use is warm, they call it a therapy pool. The deepest end is 3.5'. It's accessed by a long ramp with rail, so no stairs. I do a mix of the standing and walking exercises Dr Jo PT demonstrates. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPS8D21t0eO-X68fTNKk7UEkegxDqzQ3U
No swimming. Last time I went I sat on the built-in bench on the deep end and did straight leg raises up and down, and straight leg extensions to the side (the splits). Last time I also walked faster to get more resistance.

The pool floor has a gentle incline which I walk forward on to the top, after I've warmed up for a while, then walk backwards back down. Such a good stretch for the back of my legs going backwards . Oh, and my favorite is standing on the incline and doing calf raises.

I started at 30 minutes a day almost every other day and have worked up to an hour every othere day, except weekends (too many kids).

I bought 20 passes at the community center where this pool is. Once I've used those I'll buy passes to a YMCA that has a resistance walk pool/river thing so I can walk against the current to keep building my muscles. :dancy:

The pool provided me with the buoyancy to walk without assistance at 9.5 weeks. I've not read a post from anyone who took so long to be able to walk without a device. I go on my crutches and balance them against the rail and hobble down the ramp holding on. Once I get deep enough, the magic happens! Yesterday a lady in the pool who was able to walk unassisted at five weeks after her TKR said, "Shouldn't you be off crutches by now?" Thanks, lady. But I don't care anymore. I can only do what I can do. I'm just special, I guess! :loll:
 
Last edited:
Thanks! :)
My knee just seized when in the water and I already have such poor rom it was hard to really do much. Maybe I will try again in a few weeks and see once the massage therapist breaks up some of the scar tissue in my quads again. Can’t hurt and I feel so at home in water
 
Also. I am still on arm canes when out and a cane around the house. I get so sad I’m not further along and best myself up - then it gets reinforced when someone at physio that’s 4wks out comments or zips by me. :cry:

I’ll get there one day. My history is long - my rehab will be too. I just need to stop second guessing everything. I appreciate your sharing. Gives me hope
 
Oh I know what you mean, @traceys! Everyone I've encountered in person who had TKR and sees me still using crutches when my replacements were July and September gets blank looks on their faces or says something like the lady at the pool yesterday.

We are who we are. I'm just a slow recoverer. That's all there is to it. Nothing I do can change that. Slow and gentle works for me and I'd never have known that was ok without BoneSmart. :thumb:

Your poor body especially has been through so much. You're doing fine for you and that's all that matters. :tada:We just have to tell ourselves that from time to time, and that's OK too. And I still cry on hubby's shoulder from time to time. :boohoo: Sounds like you have a supportive hubby, too. I also keep hearing that "year to fully heal" phrase; for me that means two years at least! :whistle:
 
Yeah for you at going at your own pace. Having both done in such a short time frame and being able to do all of that pool work is remarkable IMHO. It's the long game that we're all after and if some of us are taking the longer, scenic route who cares! Bravo to you! :yahoo:
 
Having both done in such a short time frame and being able to do all of that pool work is remarkable IMHO.
I'm amazed by how differently we recover, not only person from person, but also knee from knee. Just very thankful that I finally found what works well for me!

I just caught up on your thread...going to the office so soon?! Now that's remarkable to me! You must love your job or just be a very driven, industrious person. But you're not new to TKR so you know what's up. Go get it, girl! :bicycle1:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do like my work and am fortunate that it is primarily sitting so I can ice. Plus I (and my back) are getting tired of the recliner :snork:. I only go in for about 4 hours -- and it's just a mile away so no long travel time. I seem to be having an easier time with #2 - probably because I have really been taking it easy with this one. You are so right that we have to do what's right for us. Continued good wishes for a great recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom