Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Snail and Her Walker - A Slowpoke's Recovery<

I love Josephine’s reply “ absolute tosh ”. :loll: It’s spot on. I am tired of professionals threatening us with MUAs. I believe they should have joints replaced before they tell us how we need to progress after surgery. Everyone is different in body size, level of activity, among other things and the way we heal is too. There is no one way to dictate how we heal. But the good thing is...most of us heal perfectly fine.

I think you’re over thinking the walk too. I know it’s hard not to think about it though. I have absolute faith that before you know it you’ll be walking fine!:thumb:
 
Thank you @Jockette and @flsungirl. You're right I am overthinking it, especially after watching so many videos about how to walk correctly! It's just that my left knee buckles occasionally so I'm trying to stabilize my leg to prevent that.

@Celle Thank you! I'll give that a try.
 
Your knees have been through the mill and right now they just need gentle treatment to recover. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

Later, after you heal a while, you can do some strengthening things. PTs and surgeons want everything to recover right now. Our bodies don’t work that way.
 
@Teecup I remember that buckling feeling and yes, it is very unsettling in the beginning. It happened to me quite a bit but only in beginning. Your knees wont give out on you. As you're now walking, your legs will slowly start to build the muscle back and become stronger and any 'buckles' will slowly become less.
 
@Kiwigirl62 I actually did fall from a buckle a few weeks after my first knee, and have caught myself on the way to dropping a few times since my second knee, so I'm super cautious. But as you said, it is happening less as I'm gaining back strength. I'm just so glad to finally retire my walker!
 
I think falling is our biggest concern. I’m sorry you experienced that. It would make me very cautious also!
 
I used to get that buckling and it lasted for a few months, particularly if my leg was tired - like on a longer walk. I called it “the wobble” - until my quads got stronger I made sure to have my cane with me when walking. Very unsettling when it happened.
 
Nearing the end of week seven. This week I decided to self-aqua therapy! Bought a 20-visit pass to a community center with a warm therapy pool and went for the first time today. Propped my crutches on the rail and side-stepped it down the ramp, holding onto the the metal rail. As the water got deeper, I could feel the weight on my legs lifting until it was finally high enough that I could let go of the pool side and push against the water with my hands for balance. It was amazing!!!

I walked freely for about 15 minutes until I felt the swelling puffing up my right knee. Time to go. :cry:Side-stepping it up the ramp was sad. ..gravity took control of my legs again. Back to the crutches. But for 15 glorious minutes, I could walk all by myself!

I can tell going every day will be too much, at least right now, so I'll look forward to my water-world- walking every other day. :yes:
 
@Teecup, I just read your post about using the pool for aqua therapy. I fell in love with the pool months before my surgery, and I credit going to the pool with increasing my body strength substantially before going through surgery and recovery. Like you, I do my own thing, and walking plus any other exercises feel wonderful without the constraint of gravity. I’m starting again on Monday, and am so looking forward to going:swim:
Good luck ,and by the way, YouTube has lots of great videos for pool exercise:)
 
@Teecup i also entered the pool 1st time at 7weeks, doing my own thing and like you found that after a while i knew it was time to get out.

2nd time i ended up doing little jumps on my toes. .....felt great as i knew theres no way I'd ever do that on land :yay: but stopped sftet a minute as didn't want to wreck knees. I sm back at work but think i can get there once a week
 
The pool is great. But as you found, even in the pool you need to pace yourself for a while yet. I think your every other day (or even every three days right now) plan is a good one.
 
Second pool visit today. After taking a short drive around the neighborhood yesterday with hubby white-knuckling the dashboard :yikes: we decided I would be good to drive myself. First drive in eight weeks. Wheeeeee!

I had the pool all to myself, which was lovely! But as I was trying to open the door to the locker room, one of my crutches slid forward on the wet tile and I nearly went down. Thank the good Lord I was able to stay on my feet. I knew that wet tile and rubber crutch tips were a dangerous combination and I was walking carefully slow, but that heavy door outweighed me and my slippery footing by a lot.

I'm not planning to be on these crutches long enough to invest $50 on special non-skid tips, so I experimented with materials I had at home. Took a thin piece of foam padding from an electric heating pad and banded it to the tip, then puddled water on my tile floor and tested for slippage. Did the trick! God forbid I'm still on these things when I have to walk on snowy/icy pavement, but if I am, I'll splurge for the pro tips. Can't put a price on safety. :thumb:
 
This is the one thing I’m scared of most. 3 falls last winter and now in my head. Work socks over the tip work too (actually a hiking trick for mossy rocks!)
Would live some pool time but the pools I used to swim at you have to walk thru the shower tunnel to reach the deck. :gaah:

Congrats on the driving! Look out now that you got that freedom back. So jealous! Lol
 
I can’t imagine me using crutches! I can imagine me doing myself a lot of damage if I ever have to use them. :yikes:

I’ll take a walker any day! I actually liked my walker, it was easy to use and kept me safe and stood there just fine by itself when I didn’t need it.

My cane was helpful also, but it just felt like something extra I was carrying, even when I was using it. And mine was not a stand alone, so it was inconvenient for moments I didn’t need it.
 
Thanks for the socks tip @traceys! I don't have a lot of foam but I do have a bag of old work socks!

Shower tunnel? That's just not right!

I did have fun driving! Hope you get your wheels back soon too. My first stop was to get my annual mammogram (not so fun). I almost blew it off this year due to the crutches, but decided that was a risk too risky. :bignono:
 
Oh I do miss the stability of the walker @Jockette! It was my safe haven. :roseshwr:
I'm getting the hang of the crutches and they give me room for a longer stride, which is good. But I'm having a hard time standing straight. I keep trying to tighten my core (AKA bowl of jello) and readjust the height until it's just right...still experimenting. But at least my triceps and shoulders are starting to tone up. :snork:
 
I liked my walker, too. Never expected that. Standing straight and striding like a champ, or even a mere normal person, takes a little patience as so many muscles need to learn to work together properly all over again. Just when you think you might be getting the hang of it, you might find your back complaining, or your hip. Work it through. Walking does somehow tighten up everything eventually!
 
I never could use my crutches. I had a fold up walker that could easily go wherever I went.
 
Went to the OS on Monday for a nine-week post op, dreading his "You need MUAs on both legs" talk. As soon as I got into the treatment room I got up on the exam table and warmed up my knees for the pushes I knew were coming. And guess what? The words never crossed his lips! He was satisfied with the flexion he eyeballed and said he'd see me in three months. Woot woot! These past three weeks of only walking, stationary bike, hamstring stretches, and a few leg extensions did the trick.

He did ask me if I was ready to get off the crutches (no, ya think???) and asked if the pain was stopping me. Pain is the last on my list, the first two being strength, then balance. He wrote me another script for PT, recommended a PT (the one I'd already chosen, based on reviews), and gave me a note to return to work at the office full time on the day I selected, December 17th. So I have just under three weeks to do my best to shed these crutches. Hope I can!

When I go to this PT, I'll make it very clear I'm focused only on walking, not flexion. I have all the bend I need now, with more coming over this next year. I just need some help walking again and I'm hoping a new PT, along with the pool walking, will help me over this last hurdle. :walking:

I've already put into practice Celle's suggestion to pretend to step over something on the ground, but I welcome additional tips about what worked for you to walk on your own.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom