TKR The other TKR, on August 25th

With your schedule ( and not long enough duration of icing... 20 min is less than half what you need) I am not surprised your knee is upset. You shouldn't put ice directly on knee.. some fabric should be between knee and ice.

Swelling is doing you in.. and at this pace I wouldn't expect it to go down.. Swelling is mechanical.. don't look for a miracle pill for long term use. If you check out the effects and warnings on prednisone you will see.

Sitting on the sofa with your legs up isn't enough elevation. You need toes above nose to get the swelling down, add ice for 40-60 minutes at a time and you should see a difference.

1. Pain @ a 7/10; they couldn't find med to work for me at first.
That was unfortunate.
2. Tylenol #3, sorry don't remember dose. Every 4-6 hrs during day. Tramadol 50mg. for breakthrough, about twice daily.
T3 is 300mg acetaminophen + 30mg codeine. You never told me how much/many. I need to know that because that's a very low dose. Same with Tramadol, you need to take 100mg to have effective pain management. Also a good timetable.
3. Leg was almost huge.
I would imagine.
4. Flexion 45 at first, up to 90 at 6 weeks. Extension, forgot numbers; but was not too bad.
Fine - thank you.
5. Yes, icing; however at first, the ice hurt me a lot, sensitive to cold, but as I got used of it, maybe 4 or 5 times daily, 20 minutes. Same with elevation, hurt too much at first, then; same as ice; although I probably didn't elevate high enough.
Little or nothing is accomplished in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
7. Hardly any activity, hired help, ordered food. Just focused on PT, outpatient.
Shoot, most important.....I don't remember detail, but its late....I'll try again tomorrow.
It would be helpful if you would do that. And after that, would you answer the questions again but for right now! Sorry but it helps me to understand how things are for you.

With everything you are doing its no wonder that you are having swelling and pain. For now make sure that you take enough time at least at the end of the day to elevate your knee for at least an hour. I still ice and elevate at the end of a long day. Try to get your dad some additional help so you cab look after yourself for now. Make sure you are elevating correctly. It will help even more if you can find additional times during the day too.
elevate-2-horz-jpg.52603

Thanks, I like that product I see, maybe I can get on Amazon ? Well, believe it or not, I work at home, sitting most of day. I actually have to get up and move around a bit, and I bought one of those small peddlers like on a bike, just peddles though, better than nothing. I'm icing for longer period of time.

If you order the elevator pillow make sure you get the right one. I bought one on Amazon but they one I originally purchased was for someone who had shorter legs than I do. I'm 5'7" so I'm not very tall. I decided to buy three extra firm cheap bed pillows and I used them instead.

Thanks, I'm 5'5" short legs. I've been trying pillows, (sofa ones), but they keep slipping away.
PS, I'm having a hard time figuring out this site. I see I can reply to you, since we're in real time. But, I want to continue to reply to Josephine again, cant figure out... despite her links about this, just see quote, bookmark, but I cant reply to someone in middle of thread ? This is different for me. :)

You can reply to someone in the middle of a thread or page. If you want to bring your reply to their attention just tag them by putting an @ in front of their name, like @Bengalady .

PS, I'm having a hard time figuring out this site. I see I can reply to you, since we're in real time. But, I want to continue to reply to Josephine again, cant figure out... despite her links about this, just see quote, bookmark, but I cant reply to someone in middle of thread ? This is different for me. :)
It doesn't matter whether you're in "real time" or not. You post your message and the recipient will read it the next time they visit your thread. I know that Josephine keeps an eye on the threads where she is expecting a response.

See that blank box at the bottom of the page that says "Write your reply"? Just start writing your message in there and then hit the black box that says "Post Reply". If you want to address someone specifically (Josephine, for example), you tag them, by putting the @ sign in front of their name, with no spaces between the sign and their name, but a space after the name - like this: @Celle .
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Also, this might be helpful:
How to use the quote feature

Both those articles are from the section called
How To Use This Forum
Lots of helpful information in there!

Josephine: Clarify # 2.. Tylenol #3 was 1 tab every 6 hours. I took 9am,3pm,9pm. Tramadol 50mg. 1 tab usually around noon, and if I woke up in middle of night.
*PT, Home Health, 3x week.
Slides, 2x day- 10 to 15
Lunges, holding on to sink - 2x day - 10x each leg
Marching: holding on to sink: 2x day, 20x
Swing leg out to side (Don't know name ) 2x day, 5x Right leg only.
Sit on couch, bend leg inward, hold for 30 seconds. 2x day.
After one month: Outpatient therapy: 3x week.
NuStep machine for 10 minutes
lunges x 5
They bend my knee to the wall; sprained my back, then I quit.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Now: 1. 0-2/10
2. No meds. Took Motrin 600mg. 3x day, until last week.
3.Moderate. More by end of day, but not huge.
4. Flexion, last was 102, extension, perfect.
5. Been icing: 10 -20 minutes 3-4x day
6. Elevate. Work at home, on couch, legs up on pillows, total, 5 hours, 5x week.
7. Activity: Housework, little at a time. Cook easy stuff, or eat out. No laundry or grocery shopping.
Plus, sometimes have to drive for work, up to 50miles 1x week. Was visiting, doing errands daily for my dad after work, cut down this week to twice a week. He is doing better.
8. PT: Haven't had time. Just try to consciously make effort to keep bending.

@Celle Like this ? I wrote a book for Josephine, just didn't want to bore anyone with everything. Thanks.

That's right. You got it! :yes!:

Post your response to Josephine in the same way. Since she lives in the UK, it will probably be a while before she responds, but she will do so.

Don't worry about boring people. That's how we all learn learn from each others' experiences, through sharing the information, both good and bad. We can help you, but your experience and the advice you receive may also help someone else.

@BC55 I'm not on here all the time, and if nothing else; this is a good support system. It is true, always (well, mostly) listen to your physician. As far as I can see, no one here is claiming you should listen to them. However, everyone has "been there, done that." That is what helps. Mostly the support, ...I was so frustrated and upset the other night. I don't feel so alone in this now. Yes, 5 months. I might make it sound worse than it is, I just didn't think it would take so long to walk "normally". I have flexion about 102 or so. My other "good" knee is about 110 or so.

My doctor said I'm doing great. You are younger, and probably more active, and maybe that would help you. My doctor said everyone heals at their own pace. I am hearing though, that it takes most people 6 months to a year to feel completely normal again. Yes, I hate hearing that. No one told me; and I don't mean to scare you. Who knows, maybe you will do great by Jan. 12th. !!! I hope so. You don't have to leave this blog, unless you want to. But you don't have to believe or do everything someone says here either. But, it helps for support. Take Care.

@BC55 your doc is generalizing...I don't see inactive rocking chair seniors here. Many of us who are got a TKR for the reason we want to reconnect with our hobbies, which in my case is mountain climbing, biking and long distance canoeing.If I were happy to be sedentary there would have been no need for a replacement.
His comments do put you in a difficult position; you have to do what you feel best.

Wow.. 120 at a little over two months seems harsh... and the threat of an MUA.. not feel good territory.

You are doing well. It does take a while to fully recover. If you are going to ice and elevate (a good thing to do) do it for at least 45 to 60 minutes at a time. After a long day I still will ice and elevate at night. If any of your exercises are causing you any pain don't do them. I think with everything you are doing you could probably forgo most of them and just live your life.

@BC55 You don't have to go along with everything that you read here. Listen to your knee and your body and you can't go wrong. I may be 62 but I work a 10 to 12 hour day on my feet at a full time job. I went back to work at 12 weeks after a revision. I did as my OS told me 'don't do anything that hurts'. I went to PT but didn't allow them to push on my knee and I avoided the exercises that are very hard on new knees. I can flex my knee to 130 degrees where before surgery it was only 95 degrees. There is also the encouragement and support for the members here that can be invaluable.

I have flexion about 102 or so. My other "good" knee is about 110 or so. My doctor said I'm doing great.

I would be thrilled with those numbers! My left leg is 95-105 on most days. My right leg is lagging behind and is around 85-90 on most days. I think both knees were in the 95-100 range prior to surgery (could bend enough to get up from a chair, but not enough to rest my feet on the rung under a barstool) so anything more than a consistent 105 will be a win for me.

I dream of flexion of even 80

I don't see inactive rocking chair seniors here.
I'm 75 and I love my rocking chair - but I don't sit in it all day, or even for a short while every day.

I'm busy, running my house, visiting friends, out to a meeting every week with other friends who work from home; I'm still driving, of course; I look after my grandchildren when I can; I fly all the way from New Zealand to England (36 hours' travel) every year, to spend time with my daughter and her family, where I also look after my granddaughter; I ride a bike in England.

My TKR knees are strong and reliable. I hardly think about them at all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562