TKR The other TKR, on August 25th

You should be able to do all those things. You need to relax and one by one you’ll meet all your goals!

Doing a little better, pain level from a 7 to a 6. So sick of trying to get comfortable....seems like I have restless legs (Uh, knee). Swelling like a balloon, which doesn’t make it easy to bend, or hardly at all. PT said I was at 76.
I had some prednisone for this knee for pain/swelling Before my surgery, so I took some now, and the swelling has subsided . Going to talk with surgeon soon about this. Not as depressed, but still down.
I have to rest every time I do anything.
I just read article here that said DO NOT use bands, belts, ect. to help bend knee, yet my PT had me doing that. She said as long as knee is moving, even if passive, it will help ??
Going for acupuncture on Thursday.

Your PT is being too aggressive with your brand new knee. This early in recovery you only need gentle stretches and some walks around the house.

Your high pain level could be from inappropriate PT.

Thank you. Yet, when I saw my surgeon for first follow up, he said he wanted me to start with outpatient rehab because I needed more “aggressive “ therapy instead of home health ! What’s with these doctors, ect. I’ll take heed .

I can't imagine any joint replacement needing aggressive therapy at only a few weeks out from surgery. That just doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Thank you, I totally agree. While I want this process to move on, I want to do it without more pain, or hurting myself. I talked with my PT, and even he was surprised that I was told that.
I believe my thoughts are somewhere in the middle, I’m doing everything I possibly can, and I need to learn to be patient with myself, and my body.
I definitely believe the body has the power to heal itself. Just needs a little help, lol. Not aggressive though.

Well, just FYI, I had acupuncture couple of days ago. Has anyone else ? It’s hard to say if it helped. I think it did somewhat as my pain is less, yet maybe it’s also time for pain to be less ? Slept better. I think I’ll go once again and see. I haven’t played around with insurance issues, but I might check.....if they pay, I’ll take advantage. I think I’d rather have a massage though.
Another thing, just my luck. I have that irritating right band feeling on my other knee (6 months post-op). It has always been there so far. Not painful, but psychologically speaking, difficult knowing I have a knee replacement there.
So, I had hoped, if it doesn’t go away, maybe when I have the other one done, it will at least feel the same, and I will learn to live with it, as MY normal.
Guess what ? My recent (1 month) surgery on left knee.......feels completely normal as far as that goes. Actually, less swelling and pain. Still working on bending, as 87 now. Of course, glad it doesn’t have that tightness........but I want my knees to feel the same !!! Just talking of the band here. Having that, and now with the other knee feeling more normal, Uuggh.....driving me crazy. I’ve read some other posts........but, can anyone tell me, does this tightness eventually go away ? It doesn’t matter if I have to wait, I just want it to feel better. Anything I can do ?
I do realize that I’m most likely compensating towards the right knee, and I’m working on that. Is this something I just have to “get used of” ? I’m grateful for less pain, and ability to walk, but still.
Sorry, a bit of rambling here.

That tight band feeling improves over time for most of us. Your six month old knee still has a lot of healing to do.

Problems with Right TKA Revision:
I can’t believe I’m posting again. Actually, somehow I lost this site in computer land.
Anyway, my right Revision was done in Feb. 2020.
I did everything by the book, and was ok for awhile.
I started having more pain however, causing a lot of difficulties with doing almost any activity. Had a bone scan, saw surgeon yesterday. Although he did mention it after my surgery, I didn’t quite hear it or understand until now. He said my surgery was very complicated. My bone was so thin, it was hardly nothing I was walking on. When he took out the initial replacement, bone came out with it. He replaced it with a titanium “cone”.
Basically, the prosthesis is fine. The problem is the tissue surrounding the cone is inflamed.
He said it is too dangerous to do anymore surgery, as he can’t just go in there and cut more bone, sounded like I may land up in w/c or without a bone, leg ? Scary.
Gonna focus on pain control. He’s giving me a Medrol pack of prednisone, and Celebrex, and repeat physical therapy. I actually think I need a low dose of prednisone all the time. Would you believe my insurance needs pre-authorization for Celebrex? Yet, if I went for opioid, I’d get it right away . Absurd.
I’m scared. I love to dance and swim. Are those days over ? Has anyone had anything like this ? Is there any hope ?
thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your TKR Revision.

I think your surgeon is doing the best thing in trying a course of steroids, in the hope that your tissue inflammation will settle down. If it does, your pain should decrease as well.

I know how worrying this must be for you but, for now, try not to think about the "what-ifs". Take it from day to day, if you can.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom