TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@theresav - You don't have to quote messages in order to post. Just scoot down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the blank box there. @momweb , I think you already know that.
 
@Celle yes, I am aware of quoting messages, but thanks for the reminder. And @theresav no worries, it takes awhile to get the hang of it all especially with all the pain meds and the emotions we are all going through.
 
Hi everyone. I know some of you were prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin) for nerve pain that you sometimes get after knee surgery. I was prescribed the medication 9/23/15. The first night it worked miracles. The pain that usually woke me at night was gone and I slept like a baby. After that it was a different story. The pain never returned, a good thing,:tada:BUT I've discovered the medication makes me hyper. I tossed and turned so much I didn't get to sleep until well after 3AM. Last night I decided to try and take the medication earlier. I wasn't as hyper when I went to bed but I was still up most of the night. The headaches that come with it are awful as well.

Has anyone had these issues and if so, did you change medications and if so to what?
 
Hi everyone. I know some of you were prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin) for nerve pain that you sometimes get after knee surgery. I was prescribed the medication 9/23/15. The first night it worked miracles. The pain that usually woke me at night was gone and I slept like a baby. After that it was a different story. The pain never returned, a good thing,:tada:BUT I've discovered the medication makes me hyper. I tossed and turned so much I didn't get to sleep until well after 3AM. Last night I decided to try and take the medication earlier. I wasn't as hyper when I went to bed but I was still up most of the night. The headaches that come with it are awful as well.

Has anyone had these issues and if so, did you change medications and if so to what?
That's a drag. I get some of that jumpiness.. and some other things from my reg pain meds too. Thanks for am confirmation. I feel like I went backwards every am.
I think the side effects to all these meds is pretty insane. Hope u can find a balance.@momweb

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Well you could always asked for an ambien script to help you sleep--works well for me. Don't you just love taking drugs for the side effects of the drugs you are already taking?:nah:
 
I chose to stop taking the Neurontin. I was only on it for a week at 300 mgs. So far so good. At least I slept a little better last night and today I don't feel like a zombie. I did not do well on that drug. What makes me a little angry is the fact is that the doctor never returned my call. Not a good thing.
 
After whining so much lately, I thought I'd post a happy success! After stretching like crazy before I even got out of bed this morning, I decided to try the elliptical again. The first few moments were a little tough but as the machine slowly moved and I moved along with it, I found my knee moving fluidly along with the motion. I managed a whopping 13 minutes. It wasn't my knee that gave out, it was me being out of breath. Boy, am I out of shape!!:bricks:So, I figured, that's enough for today. I'm so excited!:loveshwr:The knee is still tight behind, but I can't tell you what a difference this small success makes!!
 
That's excellent news. You'll probably feel stiffer tomorrow (if you're like me).

Regarding being out of breath at 13 minutes - so true! I've had PT sessions with tiny little exercises that leave me dripping sweat on the floor. I've gotten out of shape before by going off exercise, but this post-major-surgery thing is deeper and longer.
 
Takes a while to work up to not being out if breath, but I'm sure you'll do it.
 
Well good for you! I average about 11 min. on the elliptical and I am ahead of you and have been doing it since about week 5.
 
I'm such a coward I haven't managed to step up,onto mine yet. It's quite high off the ground and when the foot plates start to move, I panic. Well done you! I am inspired!
 
Thanks everyone, @Thesoutherncook the first time I tried the elliptical I was lucky to last 5 minutes, so I think I surprised myself when I lasted the 13 minutes. We'll see how long I last tomorrow when I try again.
@cairistiona60 just grab those handles and hold on for dear life, then step up with the good leg and you'll be good to go. Once you do it the first time, you'll be fine. I remember feeling the same way.

Today at pool therapy the therapist decided I was doing so well, he added an additional exercise. By the time I was done I could barely walk home. Amazing how one additional exercise can send you over the deep end. The good thing was I was able to find a huge knot in my calf that was causing my knee tremendous pain. I have one of those acrylic massagers and massaged it deeply. Made a huge difference to the pain behind my knee. So who knows, maybe this is what I needed. I am icing tonight to bring some of the swelling down.

Tomorrow's another day!! Here we go again!!:tiredwheel::tiredwheel::tiredwheel::tiredwheel:
 
Well for "PT" the last two days I have been helping hubby clean up the dead trees (12!) he has brought down with his tractor.:loll:
 
I'm curious, what type of water exercises are you doing? I've been mostly walking; occasionally doing very slight, gentle squats -- I'm doing these only in the water because of the beneficial weight-reducing effect of the water; and practicing going up and down stairs (same beneficial effects of water).
 
Back
Top Bottom