TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

OK a day after water therapy and I'm still alive! My hips are a little sore, but not bad. The biggest surprise was how much my calf ached. I stretched it on the stairs and boy did it hurt. Guess those muscles needed some work. My knee swelled some but not too bad. I was in pain so I took some Tramadol by suppertime. Most of the pain was at the top but that makes sense given the amount of bending my knee did in the pool. The hard part is that the knee still hurts where the knee cap used to be. That is, where all the arthritis used to be. My knee cap was a mess and I know he shaved off as much as possible. Hopefully this will go away. The most positive thing about the pool therapy is my knee feels more loose than it has, so that is a good thing. More therapy next Wed. and Friday.
 
Glad it's not too sore. The water is working all your muscles, not just the knee. I've found my knee always feels more "normal" in the water and while riding my bike, weird I know.
 
I can really understand where you're coming from re the "fear" and lack of confidence. I know that is part of my problem too. I've been scared to do my PT properly for weeks I case it aggravated my knee or caused pain. Knowing if I'm doing to little or too much has been one of the hardest parts of this recovery. Your water therapy sounds really good and should really make a difference.
 
@Raffs I think we're the only ones who understand the lack of confidence or "fear". My PT I don't think does. To him it's something psychological that you need to get over. To me, it's more than psychological. I've already hurt myself, I don't want to do it again. After only one time, I am sore. My knee hurts. I see the OS on Thursday and I will ask...Why after 12 weeks does it hurt where my new knee cap is? Why do I still have pain in the back of my knee? Why does the top of my knee still swell and hurt? Why do I still have pain at night? At 3 months this may all be quite normal and part of the healing process for me. And if so, I'll deal with it.

We have a vacation coming up at the end of October to Arizona. So, a long plane ride and lots of walking ahead. I want to have a good time. I'm asking for a cortisone injection in my bad knee a week before so at least that knee won't give too much of an issue. I'm also hoping after 8 therapy sessions my other knee will start responding.

Lynn, I appreciate the support. By, the way, how did your conference go?
 
.Why after 12 weeks does it hurt where my new knee cap is? Why do I still have pain in the back of my knee? Why does the top of my knee still swell and hurt? Why do I still have pain at night? At 3 months this may all be quite normal and part of the healing process for me. And if so, I'll deal with it.
I suspect the answer will be the same as my answer - because it's only 12 weeks into a recovery that takes a full year.
3 months seems like a long time when you're recovering, but it's really only a quarter of the way to full recovery.

I know it's hard to be patient, but it will all be worth it in the end.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A co-worker with a five year old hip and a barely one year old hip told me HAVE PATIENCE today, when I whined about my almost five month old knee. So... I'll just pass her advice to me, on to you. :)
 
I just got through rolling a tennis ball on my sore butt that feels a whole lot better and then came back here to read all about how I need more patience. UGH!!!! God grant me the patience to have the patience I need to get the patience everybody tells me I need! Yeah, I know, whining makes us all feel better. It's hard to look into the future with full assurances that all will be well. That's all I want. Give me that and I'll give you patience!:angel:
 
Patience is hard, particularly when you've experienced a complication. You know you should be further ahead, but nothing will get you where you want to be any sooner. You'll turn that corner soon.
 
It'll just climb back in the window. ;)

My six month follow up is Oct 13 and I have several questions for my OS. I'm hoping he'll also give me six more months of temporary handicapped parking. Going into work isn't too bad, but I'm stiff and a bit swollen at the end of the day. I'm icing when I get home, and then before bed... Not at all at work anymore.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
 
For months, this was my frequent prayer:
"Dear God, please give me patience - RIGHT NOW!" :heehee:
Normally, I'm not a very patient person, but my knees made me learn.
 
To try to never pray for patience, because then I'm put in situations that require it. :beg:
 
@momweb Misery loves company and I'm right there with you on the patience issue! I seriously think that's a good thing... Otherwise we would just sit back and let life pass us by! I have things to do, places to go and people to see.... So, Buddy Knee, get with the program! :giggle:
 
@momweb Well I will be interested in how your OS responds to your questions. I am at 20 weeks and people keep asking me how the knee is doing. The truth--I have all the problems you mention. The knee feels about like it did before the operation; however, at least I know it should be getting better and it would be getting worse without the operation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear Lord @Kssii if I'm saying this at 20 months I swear I'll shoot myself! :sos: I'm hoping to schedule my other knee in the spring because it is getting worse! I'm not a quitter, I have a large pain threshold, but boy, somedays I just want to scream, "Enough is enough!" But, I have to admit, reading some of these posts, makes me smile. I especially like @PolarBear60 's Currently out of Stock from Amazon. :snork: Tomorrow's another day and I know there are people like @Pescara who are far worse off than me. So, my complaining will be put on hold for now as I trod along towards another tomorrow. See you all there!!:yay:
 
@Kssii Oh thank goodness it's only 20 weeks. Like I said, shoot me if I still feel like this in 20 months! :heehee: My hip is still sore from all the exercise the other day. Plus I tried to repeat a lot of the stretches on land the next day. It was probably too soon. Yesterday I used a tennis ball to try and release some of the knots in my butt. It did help some. It's amazing how so many muscles are connected to the knee. The trodding on continues....
 
Today and last night were tough. Around 3AM I awoke to an excruciating pain in my knee. I don't think I did anything, I was sleeping. There was no outward swelling, but the knee was tight and painful to move. When I got up most of the pain was at the top of the knee and behind the knee. I walked the dog as usual and got ready for physical therapy which is in 94 degree pool water. All went well until I had to do what I call heel kicks. You keep your knees together and bend one knee back gently. The pain in the knee was so intense it brought tears to my eyes. I was gripping the side of the pool so hard my knuckles turned white. I think I shocked the therapist. I don't think he expected my reaction. The therapist thinks it might be soft tissue damage. I see the surgeon tomorrow for my 12 week visit. We'll see what he says. I know they say we need patience to heal and this is a roller coaster ride. Well, I've never liked roller coasters and I don't like this one!! :dubious::bawl:
 
Sorry to hear you had such pain. Don't do that exercise again until things settle down. In fact, ease off all the exercises until things settle down. It's possible that your knee is still reacting to this:
My hip is still sore from all the exercise the other day. Plus I tried to repeat a lot of the stretches on land the next day. It was probably too soon.
As well, you could have been sleeping with your knee in a position it didn't like.

Rest, elevate and ice your knee front and back.
 
Back
Top Bottom