Guest viewing is limited

THR The new road step by step

Hiya Seattle! I can guess thats where you going back to! at least you wont have ice and snow. buy a golf umbrella and walk on! Nothing stops me from my walks! And when it rains here its like flood gates open with torrents coming down hills. the town I am holed up in is very hilly so sometimes its a case of stairs or hills. I take stairs! Many stairs! I learnt to do those safely during my last few weeks of bad leg stage.

Layla, i tried pillows between legs but give up after a minute as hip starts to pain. Still i do try. At least it gives my body a rest for precious minutes. I figure anything that pains is a nono for now.
Before op, I did go looking for a small but long pillow but none to be had locally. Its the problem of small towns. I tried all sorts of alternatives and combos… i butchered a pillow…didnt help. I took a flat patio cushion and wrapped it in half….didnt help. ache in hip starts no matter what.…except if i turn and position myself with hip at low angle, dipped close to bed. The best is to just have a pillow to the side where i can rest my operated leg onto if I turn. That more or less is fine. But again not for too long. Otherwise a pillow between my legs is too high for hip. It causes unnatural joint lift and it tells me to cut it out!

i do now and again try operated side very gently, but as weight is added, its achy. Its ok. I used to sleep on my right side anyway.

I am hugely lucky all i have to complain about is a bit of broken sleep! I can take this easily! every day i go forward so pretty soon now, it will all be behind me.

i am just so glad that i am mobile and pain free! yipee me! Cheers to all here for being here, giving your time, giving your helpful posts and advice.….for keeping us company while we go through our hip time!

happy new year all!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve had a good January and start to 2022 so far.
You seem to be doing well, headed in the right direction, with a lot to look forward to.
May this year bring many blessings!
@Autumn01
 
Hiya all! Nearly 3 months. I can hardly believe it.

all so far going well. Walking, sleeping…. All ok.

i am finding bending ok. I try and still do golfers reach but sometimes forget. I had a bad fright when i was putting some things away and stretched down sideways and immediately felt some burning pain halfway up my thigh. I really got a fright and stayed in bed rest of day. All is ok!

my knee is recovering as well. The muscles had atrophied horribly. I am still gearing up going up steps. Down is fine but up is more cautious. i am rather lazy! I guess i could rev that up a bit more but i am so happy to be walking again, really i aint stressed!
i have returned to UK and right now holed up away from weather. Not exactly keen to go out.

cant wait for spring!

cant wait to return to Greece also and swim the summer and a few kgs away.
 
Thanks for the update, Autumn. I’m happy to read you’re doing well. Stay safe in the storm we’re hearing about on the news here, across the pond from you. Powerful winds, power outages, downed trees…I can only imagine. I’m with you on “can’t wait for Spring”. With snow on the ground, frigid temps and 25mph winds here right now, I’m dreaming of Spring too.
May Eunice soon be history. Enjoy the weekend!
@Autumn01
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well with your recovery, Autumn.
Have a nice weekend!
@Autumn01
 
Its coming up to SIX MONTHS! All going well. Now and again I have a twinge here and there..who knows whats causing it! Some hard edge pinching something as I move or sit badly on the edge of some chair. Its the only reminder I have that there is a difference and to take care. Otherwise I walk fast paced as usual….. as if I am reborn.

I am cautious still with bending and putting on socks, shoes, doing shoe laces.…

the incision healed well. I have a scar and two points as is normal with robotic assist. No problems.

I havent gone to any PT. I decided to just do whatever I normally did.

i am able to sleep on my left side but not 100% comfortably. maybe I am too alert for problems amd this impacts relaxing on that side! I just dont favour it.

i have had root canal on one molar tooth two months ago. I should have had it done before hip surgery but with covid, dentistry has not been easy. i took antibiotics for a two days over the surgery as precaution.

i also travelled to UK at three months Post op. All went well. But I did use assistance for airports. It was a good decision because my hip was stressed enough with one small wheely suitcase and backpack to get to airport. It was too early for the extra pressure and weight i put on it. It tired easily. not to mention having a wheely and taking a walking stick in case leg got tired and I needed it….was far too problematic! That walking stick drove me crazy.

i would not hesitate to advise on Mako robotic assist and mini posterior technique. All has gone really well. For me it was the right choice to help myself with as much of technology as I could and leave the surgeon and his team, to get on with their job and with what they needed to do. I was happy to bear the extra recovery time for a good result. it didnt feel as if my recovery was slower with the mini posterior. I think the recovery was as fast as it could have been.

I do feel extremely lucky to have had my surgery in Athens, Greece. Cost wise, for me, it was a really excellent. Notwithstanding language barriers….google translate usage helped! For me, stuck in Greece because of pandemic, was fortuitous timing.
 
Great to see your update @Autumn01 :) :-) (:
I too had a few niggles here and there up to 12-14 months...but, like you, I was so happy to be standing "well" and walking without pain.:chuckmarch:
Lots of improvements yet to come!
 
It’s good to read the month by month progression of fellow hipsters , continued recovery girl , stay off the Kebabs !
BTW what the heck is Mako robotic assist ?( google here we come ) still on a slug of whisky and a band saw here in UK.
All the best.
My goodness me just watched a video , incredible.
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom