Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

Be careful with taking Advil. It's Ibuprofen, which is an NSAID and can cause stomach bleeding and ulceration. As soon as you can, stop taking it. It's not really a good pain killer; it acts more as an anti-inflammatory.
 
Today is Day 20 Post-Op

Very happy with my knee's progress at this point. Less happy with secondary issues.

I drove for the first time yesterday. Very exciting. Haven't been so happy to drive since I got my license at age 16.
Walking with a cane. Able to do stairs and can actually take a few steps without an assisted device. My ROM is 5 and 95. In my last PT session I was able to make a full revolution on the recumbent bike. Very exciting. Wound is healing nicely. Can't wait to get cleared for pool work.

I spoke with my primary care physician and it is likely that I have developed an ulcer or at least a pre-ulcer condition. So I'm off of all NSAIDs at this point and only using Tylenol for pain, plus ice and Turmeric. I now have an arsenal of meds for my stomach. Unfortunate.:sigh:

Sleep is the other major challenge. Generally averaging 3-4 hours of broken sleep per night. I know this is a problem for most of us. Just frustrating.

Good luck to everyone and have a great week ahead!
 
Sounds like you’re doing great! Sorry about the stomach problems, though. NSAIDs are brutal on the digestive system, and not too kind to the liver, either. The good news about Tylenol is that it works better on post-op pain than pre-op knee pain. At least, for me it did. With luck it will be enough.

Sleep and exhaustion are the two post-op problems that don’t get talked much about pre-op, but post-op... they knock people for a loop. Frustrating for sure. :bored:
 
Sorry you're still having stomach problems, but sounds as if everything else is going well. I take turmeric too. As for sleep, last night was the first night I didn't see midnight and 2.00 am on my clock, slept through until 5.15. It made such a difference. Hang on in there, it will happen.
 
Here's my status at 30 Days Post-Op: Wound continues to heal without complications. Still significant inflammation. Pain mgmt medication is 2,000mg of Tylenol over a 24 hour period. Nothing else. Continued Turmeric for inflammation. Taking variety of OTC meds and herbs for likely ulcer. With regular medication, ulcer is under control, creating periodic discomfort. Biggest problem is sleep. Have averaged 3-4 hours per night since surgery. Continuous state of exhaustion and sleep deprivation which effects work and personal activities.

I'm currently driving, playing piano (pedaling), and walking with a cane.
Extension = 5, Flexion at 103.
Able to ride stationary bike without resistance (12 min) and just started treadmill walking. Have started to work on "gait" with PT. Hope to begin pool work soon.

Generally, I'm happy with my knee's progress and it's nice to be able to get out and about in the car. The weather here in Vermont is snowy and icy, so not conducive to leisurely walks. My follow-up with the surgeon is next week so we'll see what he thinks.

Best wishes to all for continued progress!
 
@BluesmanVT … been following your progress and seems you are doing pretty well... congrats and best of luck with your next follow-up. I'll be joining you over here on the other side in a couple weeks.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom