TKR The Knee Team journey begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main problem, 5 days post-op, bowels are not moving!!! Eating fiber, eating prunes with pain pills, eating nuts/fruit, adding more water, hot liquids ( usu. do it), adding pumpkin to my steel cut oats, no go....oh and have used Miralax and stool softeners. Need advice please. :sos:
 
Have you been using a stool softener? Sometimes it takes a little time to get the bowels moving again, but keep up the fruit, and use a stool softener as much as the dosage allows. Contact your OS if things don't start getting better! You could call them tomorrow (Monday) and see what their recommendations would be. :console2:
 
Yes I haveI just made a protein Greek yogurt with fruit & chia needs, maybe that will help.
 
My hospital did not elevate as much as I did at home but provided a pillow lengthwise in bed and the rest of the time they had a recliner for sitting and your legs were up. THey also provided icing - neoprene ice pack holder and replacable ice plastic inserts inside that had extras so could be put in the freezer (small freezer right in the room) and kept cold.

We also had group PT 2x/day but it was very gentle as to what you could tolerate.

I am so sorry your experience was so much worse. They need an attitude adjustment. You might want to send a letter to administration regarding your treatment and perhaps help someone else in the future.
 
Welcome!!
If all else fails I use a Dulcolax suppository. It always works. Just keep it in for at least 15 minutes and then sit for awhile. Not a regular glycerine one but the more expensive Dulcolax. Worth every penny.
Best to you!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I had the same problem ...after over a week I sent my hubby to the chemist...he came back with some liquid turbo laxative ( abit like in Dumb and Dumber) Well I can assure you the next day it worked with avengence! While I was so horribly constipated I didn't even notice how sore my knee was ! I really feel for you...I know how horrible it makes you feel.
 
Good luck to you. So proud of you for saying no to aggressive PT. I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs
Denise
 
Your PT was wrong - dead wrong. And I cannot emphasise enough the very real importance of elevating.
 
However they all agreed to doing the MOST PT whether ready for it or not, the afternoon group therapy was ridiculous with 4 of the 8 getting sick and vomiting, one being me. I
This sounds something like boot camp to me. Such mentality is not only painful, but horribly counter-productive; why hurt somebody for"progress"?

I coach, and I never even take this approach to working and conditioning healthy adolescent athletes. Why do it to people who have undergone very traumatic surgery?
 
Wow, you could not pay me to go to a group therapy class---and instead, YOU paid THEM!!! And I bet that each of you paid the equivalent price of a private session. So, they are ripping you off as well as treating you badly. I would stay away from that clinic and get one that hires professionals.
 
HI, did any of you have a feeling post-op that you could tell exactly where certain things were, like I "think" I can feel exactly where my "lateral collateral ligament is firmly placing itself"? (Not properly worded, but I'm currently under the influence) :umm: On the left side of my LK, I can feel something like thick bamboo shoots about 4 inches long that are not wanting to flex. Did you have this?

And.....my drain opened and began bleeding, we put a new bandage on & are observing, the nurse will be here tomorrow to test blood.
Praying and wishing y'all are recovering well! God Bless!!!
 
My group sessions were only in the hospital -- first day post op to be shown ankle pumps, leg lifts, heel slides and to get us up and see how we walk with a walker - the amount of steps depended on each patient. With my first knee it was about 6 on the first session and they have someone walking behind you with your recliner so when you are tired you can just sit down and be wheeled back. All of the lifts and such were done with a strap just to get the muscles woken up but no real strain on the knee. Also quad sets where you just tighten the muscle. Pretty easy going and encouraging - they also had a lot of volunteers there who all had gone through joint replacements. At first I thought this would be awful but it was kind of good to see everyone in different stages of ability to do whatever and accepted. The group was 1st and 2nd post op day mix so you could see yourself in some of the others and it gave me hope and like this forum a sense of perspective. From reading here, I do not think other places are as easy going and encouraging which is too bad.
 
I thank all of you for sharing, it's helpful to so many. :console2:
 
Maggiemay, thank you

Night 6: it began ok,I found a side position with pillows placed between knees & legs, it was smooth sailing for two hours,but I awoke to the sudden awareness that pressure was being felt on the incision. AWAKE I was!! I got up to walk the house 3x, and felt relief, some of the swelling must be diminishing. I had switched to less strong meds tonight hoping for a bowel movement, nope, but I do have the pain from choosing a lesser med. :hissy:
 
A Good day.....a new PT who listens well, and figured out why I was so sore "like an adhesion" that is not, it's simply due to extreme swelling being pushed up immediately next to the incision and at the bend. What a change it's made to roll the stocking down, massage area & allow for flow/swelling reduction, before rolling stocking back. The area is diminishing and not nearly as hard. :yay: PT is impressed with walking, and ability to raise leg well for lifts. I hope all of you are progressing along.... Oh and Senokot is your friend!! :dancy:
 
Have been having a horrible, painful day! :tantrum: It must be that we changed the Percocet to a less strong med, in hopes of relieving painful stomach discomfort (lack of BM). The BM did not come, but I was having new pains, never felt before & just felt like crying!!!! It's just been a horrible day, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It's 1 week today since TKR.

(How can I add the green [TKR] before my thread title?
 
First of all you need to manage your pain and if that means Percocet then take it!!!!!!!
In the meantime I would suggest stool softeners to help with constipation. I take 2 in am and 2 in pm. I also take an herbal laxative to help move things along. And Dulcolax suppositories are great.
But you really need to manage your pain or you will not sleep rest or heal. We all go through this!!!!
You will be hearing more from others, too.
Best thoughts to you!
 
All kinds of things seem to happen today, one week post-op, sudden little sharp pangs IN knee, center, and along the staples/incision. Icing it now. There's little twinges, something different currently. :umm:

What was your typical first week post-op schedule like? Lying down on back, elevated legs, transition to side(?), walking frequently, exercising, CPM, etc?
 
All kinds of things seem to happen today, one week post-op, sudden little sharp pangs IN knee, center, and along the staples/incision. Icing it now. There's little twinges, something different currently. :umm:
This is normal---remember---your body is healing and all kinds of tissues are knitting themselves back together again.

It must be that we changed the Percocet to a less strong med, in hopes of relieving painful stomach discomfort (lack of BM).
One week out and you are cutting back on pan meds? You knee has been assaulted in the surgical theater and it is still reeling fro what was done to it; you need to take those pain meds---there are alternatives to getting that BM---but those pain meds, I feel are necessary for you!

(How can I add the green [TKR] before my thread title?
Consider it done!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom