THR The Halloween Left Hip. Trick or Treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseyLady

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone. One day to go as I am the last October Feisty tomorrow 31st so I am getting this thread all ready for the other side. Nervous and rather stressed but the bag is all packed.

I have had a lovely walk this morning with the dogs (albeit slowly) appreciating the woods with the colourful leaves. Beautiful! Not sure how long it will be before I can take them again but it will certainly be one of my goals.
I had a last ride on my beautiful boy Ruben in the week too (the horse on the right, sadly lost my old boy Muffin on the left last year) as I will probably stop riding with a new hip if I follow my consultants advice!

I have no idea if I'm having anterior or posterior (trick or treat??) but I will write as soon as I can!

See you on the other side tomorrow!

Here is your copy of the post op reading, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good luck to you @HorseyLady

They really don't want you horseback riding at all? Well I hope that is just one of those doctor says things that no one listens to anyway . My biggest reason for getting hip fixed besides the pain was the fact i couldn't comfortably ride my motorbike anymore. I will be riding again and my surgeon seems to think it will be fine after i recover.

Anyway .. sending good thoughts to you last of my october fellow feisties!

Good luck tomorrow! I'm sending out positive thoughts for a success full surgery. :)

Ah yes, Nick Skelton. What a fantastic rider and definitely a hero. Unfortunately I am not fantastic and quite unbalanced now after my stroke. Does worry me about getting on and off with the hip, and even falling off and breaking all the TKR and THR bits!

Thanks for all the positive thoughts - and see you on the other side!

Ah @HorseyLady - that's a big shame Alison and sorry I didn't spot that. I understand of course. Still there are lots of other activities you can get involved in and being pain-free will be such a bonus. Well done getting this thread set up. Looking out for you now. :flwrysmile:

I'm concerned about the walking in winter. I haven't ridden since 77. Horse back that is. I'm sure we all will be back to what we love to do next season.:hog:

I will probably stop riding with a new hip if I follow my consultants advice!
Well we do have several members who returned to riding post THR. I agree you need to do what is most comfortable for you but there is a lot of living to do after this amazing surgery.

All the best for your op! See you on this side soon!

I am finally back home from the hospital after 5 days! It is a Posterior THR and is doing really well but I've a few issues with blood pressure and sickness which are knocking me out. I will send more when I'm back in the land of the living but just wanted to let you all know I am on the other side safely :sleep:

Good to know you are home. Hope the BP and other issues sort themselves out.

Welcome to the other side @HorseyLady ! Low BP and nausea are very common post THR. Ask for anti-nausea meds and take things slow and steady. This should ease very soon.

All is going ok with me at home and I feel that I am progressing. Sleeping ok at night on my back although the leg is very stiff in the morning and my back is painful too. Pain is controlled - Paracetamol (2) and Tramadol (1 50mg) during the day and at night I add an extra Tramadol for bed and it means I sleep well.

The Rehabilitation Unit Physios arrived on Sunday and wanted to go through the exercises. I said I have been doing some (!) but I haven't because I am following the Bonesmart Mantra :snork: They would love me to be raising my leg forward back and sideways, raising up and down on my toes and hip abductor squeezes. However, these exercises are painful and I don't think I should be doing them. I am resting and icing instead :rotfl:

I have a rather swollen elephant leg at the moment and resting it helps it reduce, not by doing their exercises! On the good side I am only slightly bruised and the wound is clean and dry albeit sore. I have disposable stitches so I can take the plaster off on Monday and hopefully get in the shower.

I am doing ok with my aids but I definitely need to buy another grabber, to pick up the grabber I keep dropping!

Bit fed up today - bored with myself, can't concentrate and Mr HorseyLady is very grumpy with all the additional chores he has to do. He is doing fab with walking the dogs, cooking etc. but just doesn't create a nice warm happy house feeling! Now he has come down with a cold (or man flu!) and has told me it is because he is run down. It is less than a week since I came out of hospital so could be rough weeks ahead. Did anyone have grumpy partners / husbands?

Alison x

Yep, the spousal unit was no help with my first surgery. He came down with a mysterious illness while I was in the hospital and couldn't even drive me home. Once I was home, he was wanting ME to wait on HIM! As if! Thank goodness for my adult children! They took care of me.

@HorseyLady you had your surgery 4 days after me. Sounds like you have it all under control. As I say the minute you get home people wait on you for about a week and then you learn to do some things on your own. An apron attached to the walker, one with pockets, can carry cell phones, ice packs and a thermos that holds coffee without spilling it. Once you get your walker fired up you can head back to recliner with all the things you need by your side. I keep my iPad plugged in by recliner so I can check news and keep up with BS friends! You can always nuke soup in microwave put that in thermos and you don't need help!

@HorseyLady - hello! You've been busy getting used to being home while I was hospitalised, so sorry not to be in touch before now.

Don't be surprised about the spousal thing. My postOp thread will tell you how we came very close to divorce proceedings after Hip #1. We're tired and sore and simply cannot leap up and do simple things like pulling a curtain, moving something, fetching things for ourselves. Just heaving ourselves out of a chair or bed takes a lot of effort. They find it so hard to understand quite how frustrating our situation is - and, even if they are fit, able and busy enough with their own lives, overlook what our input is on a daily/hourly basis. I get grumpy and then he gets the brunt of it, so I guess you're the same. Until you fall into some sort of pattern whereby he understands your needs - food to coincide with meds, checking if ice packs need swapping, fluid intake and most importantly asking whether you have everything you need regularly life will be a little bumpy.

I arrived home from hospital yesterday afternoon and quickly realised how pampered I was in hospital - I didn't have to think. Drinks, food, meds all taken care of. Then suddenly you're home and it's a whole different story. First thing I had to do was sort out a week's worth of meds into my pill compartment, that's a job in itself. Having barked a few times about things I'd asked for which had been forgotten by my in-house slave, and getting weepy and diva-ish as a result I settled down and reminded him that we survived the last hip but that was only because we evolved a routine together which meant I didn't have to continually nag.

A sit-down heart to heart can sometimes make a difference. Ideally when you're both not boiling with rage. I wonder if he's read the BoneSmart postOp mantras? It may help him to understand exactly what you and your body have been through and what your needs are. The more they understand and cooperate the sooner marital harmony can be restored. Remind him it isn't forever and the easier your recovery the more likely you are to get back to full strength quicker.

Men can be terrible babies can't they? How about this then? Mine was preparing dinner last night when he limped in saying he'd turned his ankle when going to open the fridge! Well I wasn't about to offer giving up one of my crutches, but suggested an ice pack and some pain relief. And that's a mere ankle. Hmm, wonder if God moves in mysterious ways?

He's a much nicer husband today.

Do hope things settle down for you and the soreness and stiffness are easing. Keep us posted

Oh and well done fibbing to the Physio. You're doing the right thing. The swelling is normal, provided it isn't excessive. If you are at all concerned about your elephant leg tag Josephine and ask for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom