THR The Halloween Left Hip. Trick or Treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone have grumpy partners / husbands?
Yup! Big time grumpy! They are used to you doing everything and the minute you can't they are tapping their watches and asking how much longer before you are back to normal. Remind your OH that having THR is a bit more complex than having your toenails clipped. It's major carpentry and you need time to heal. The good news it all this is temporary. A few short weeks for a lifetime of living.

Thank you everyone, it seems there are some grumpy ones out there too and Mr HorseyLady is not alone!

@Miss Muffet I have enjoyed reading your post op thread this afternoon and you are really cheering me up! Welcome back after hip number 2! Love the pictures of your grandchildren - and I love hearing about Mr M too! I had to laugh that he turned his ankle going to the fridge. Mr HorseyLady genuinely believes that his "cold" is now reaching Ebola level, so you are certainly right when you say they are terrible babies. However, he is trying very hard with his chores today and has even done all the bedding this afternoon and now busy ironing so he is starting to adapt to his temporary life as an "in-house slave" :eyebrows:

No, Mr HorseyLady has not read the BoneSmart Mantras, ditto the information booklets from the hospital :snork: Hence he fails to comprehend the importance of grapes, ice packs and timely medication!

Elephant leg is slightly less swollen today which is good as I have started to use some pillows under my leg at night. Also, the NHS community services van arrived again today and have "bastardised" my beautiful Barker and Stonehouse chair up a good few inches which is really helping me. This is the fourth visit - they have tried so many different contraptions - but they were brilliant and determined to get it right for me and I can sit comfortably and use the stool too.

:rotfl: - sorry to hear about the Ebola (tell him a couple of aspirin should sort it) however I reckon he's doing penance by turning into a professional launderer so maybe he's earning a few stars as he progresses through this steep learning curve. Good to hear they are getting to grips with your searing arrangements.
You'll get there - but if you need a good lawyer I'm sure between us Smarties someone will come up with someone suitable :loll:

Hi @Miss Muffet , thank you for asking after me! I am doing well with my walking and leg exercises and using one crutch in the house so the actual hip joint is improving. Mr HorseyLady has become used to his life as a slave and things have been going ok, particularly now I can carry something and help as much as I can.

The only problem I am having is pain with my wound still and I think I have a hematoma!

I wasn't going to whinge as I am sure it is normal, but now I am actually writing on here I think I might mention it and see what you and others think. I took the dressing off as told on Monday and it was dry other than a small bit at the end of the wound in my buttock. The steristrips have all dropped off (I wasn't to pull them just leave them) and most of it is ok but the last few days it has started to bleed slightly where the hematoma (a hard lump) is. It has gone red and the pain is round the buttock and seems to be more painful and going down my leg with a sort of nerve pain.

I am adding a photo and I apologise in advance for this! It is not easy and Mr HorseyLady was not helpful at all! He preferred to wash the kitchen floor than view my buttock :snork:

Not sure if I should do anything about this? I was going to show the ladies from the Rehabilitation Unit but they didn't come today after all. Have other people had this? I haven't touched the wound other than some warm water in the shower.

Thanks Miss Muffet, you may have wished you hadn't asked :heehee:

horse 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm glad I checked as you sound to be a bit concerned. Whinge away and if your scar is bleeding personally I wouldn't hesitate in getting it looked at at least by your GP or the Practice Nurse. I do have raised bits on my scar - and did with my last THR, but they settled down. Now I'm not a medical expert but @Josephine will have a much better view so I've tagged her and she'll take a look.

Don't panic and don't disappear - we want to know how you get on:friends:

I can see immediately why you are having a problem with seepage. You have an internal suture poking out of the wound and it's keeping the wound open so that's why it's leaking!

You need to contact your surgeon's secretary tomorrow morning and get her to pass on a message to him as he needs to see it and get it sorted. It's likely only a suture from about 2-3 mms under the skin so don't be too worried about it. But it's likely to enable a superficial infection in that area. Since it's showing red and inflamed, this could already have started so it's possible you might need some antibiotics too. It happens from time to time so nothing to really worry about.

horse 2a.jpg

Thank you Josephine! I rang and they have arranged an appointment for me with my consultant tomorrow afternoon so he can have a look at it and give antibiotics if needed. Thank you for your reassurance and to Miss Muffet for tagging you!

I will update after tomorrow :wave:

Thank you everyone, it seems there are some grumpy ones out there too and Mr HorseyLady is not alone!

@HorseyLady Yes I am quite sure they all can be grumpy. I got really lucky, but mine directed me to do as he said, and unless I broke down boohooing, (was real) I got out of what he said, lol! Finally, when I got to where I could get my own ice, water, etc. He was like, wow! I sent him to a bed on the third day, as he was trying to stay awake, nooooo, because I would suffer for that! lol!

Glad you brought the suture to everyone's attention and get to the doc tomorrow! That will definitely feel better and continue you on the mend! Never forget, we can do this!

@HorseyLady So glad you are on this site and now have been instructed to have incision looked at. I pray that all goes well and that it is simple as our medical expert, Josephine has said.

Grumpy husbands go with the territory. Mine was more of a neglect thing. Waited on me hand and foot for about a week and then stopped. I was asking for a things because he just wasn't asking what I needed. Then I was grumpy because I had been getting attention and suddenly I was not. As I improved I found ways to do things for myself. Thank goodness we get better!

Saw my surgeon this afternoon. He thinks the suture is causing a small abscess at the end of the wound but the rest of the incision is dry and clean so nothing to worry about. His nurse removed the suture, cleaned the wound and has put on an intrasite dressing for 7 days then come back in a week to review. Got to stop taking the rest of the Rivaroxaban tablets for blood thinning as he thinks that prevents healing too. I am doing ok with my walking so hopefully I won't be at risk of a DVT. No need for antibiotics.

Really pleased to talk with everyone on here about all these worries, plus reading about these grumpy husbands. Great that we soon manage to do things for ourselves, I don't think I could cope long term. Mr HorseyLady is doing great with the practical chores now but it's the emotional support that's hard to find.

@HorseyLady - so glad you've managed to see the surgeon and @Josephine spotted and alerted you to get it followed up.
I agree that men are usually able to cope with the practical stuff but emotion is often approached the way they deal with both it and pain (at least this is how mine behaves), pretend it isn't there. Just come here for a grumble or when you need a spot of understanding or support.
Fingers crossed that wound will heal up nicely soon. Do you have a follow-up appointment? Keep in touch.

Hi everyone. Saw my surgeon again this afternoon and he is pleased with the incision healing although still called it "scabby" lol. It is now less red and no longer weeping so it is definitely going in the right direction. Still have the hard lump but is not hurting as much. Back again in 2 weeks time which is my usual 6 week booked appointment.

Overall I am pleased with how I'm doing. Just using 1 crutch now and I've had a few short trips out with friends and Mr H to the garden centre, a Christmas fair, the supermarket etc. although I still feel very tired afterwards and sleep in my chair for an hour!

I am still having pain in my buttock around the hard lump but it also goes down to the top of my leg which feels like nerve pain near the sciatic nerve and in the groin? Lifting my leg up is still achy. Anyway, I have told myself that it is only 4 weeks since the operation so I am still going to have pain and to stop worrying about it yet :loll:
Back to my online Christmas shopping :loveshwr:

@HorseyLady Good for you for getting out to do fun things. I still have a few kinks with my last surgery 5 weeks ago so I know at the 6 week checkup I will be able to see OS and ask all my questions. Enjoy your online Christmas shopping! Rest as much as you can as you will need energy for Christmas festivities!

@HorseyLady - :goodpost:SO pleased to hear things are improved. My scar is itchy and scabby too. Supposed to be a sign of healing according to my lovely late mother. Those outings are a little tiring, but it does help to get out and about and reacquaint ourselves with the world outside doesn't it? I get odd aches and pains too. Had some yesterday and grabbed an ice pack and sat on it for a couple of hours which sorted it out. We can overlook that there is heaps of deep healing going in down there but I have found internet Christmas shopping extremely therapeutic and highly recommend it :egypdance:

so glad youre feeling better. Hope its onwards and upwards from now on. I answered your post on my page so hope you got it ok x

@HorseyLady I love your updates - especially your comments about Mr H. For some this is a bit of a battle. If you look like you are all healed then you must be! :gaah:
I am still having pain in my buttock around the hard lump but it also goes down to the top of my leg which feels like nerve pain near the sciatic nerve and in the groin?
I had some shooting pains (spasms) post LTHR. Started doing some gentle hamstring stretches and they really helped. If you try these start very slow and gently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom