The count down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, I spent about a year researching surgeons. I'm like you and on the young side (47) for this surgery and I didn't know anyone having joints replaced. Besides all the great suggestions from others above, I also used a magazine that is published here in the DC area that lists the areas best doctors. Just by talking about needing a replacement, I found out someone I casually knew at work was married to a sales rep for Zimmer. Her husband gave me the name of a doctor that was already on my short list of doctors that I was researching: His name had been given to me by another doctor, he was listed in two magazines as a best doctor and then when I had the reference of someone that had actually seen him operate...I felt I had my doctor. That, of course was followed up by an appointment to make a final decision as to whether I could work with the guy. You really have to ask around to others. I think word of mouth is definitely important.

I've had three surgeries with this guy so far and though we have had one minor hiccup that seems to have dispelled, I've been very happy with him. Each time I've been in the hospital, the staff has told me how lucky I was to have him as a surgeon so I think I did okay with this one. Karen

Okay, Linda... thanks for the chuckle about hair color.

And, Rick... I like your definition of a senior. By the way, that describes me perfectly! LOL

Sandy

Here's the hair color report from our school this fall:

Colors are neon blue, orange, and pink this year. 8-10" tall "mohawks" are all the rage for both boys and girls! One of the girls in my class has hers about 8" tall with both the spikes and the sides of her hair dyed in a leopard pattern. How the heck did she do that? I think it could be considered a lethal weapon. One good head-butt and she could put someone's eye out! LOL!

(Linda--- I *love* your sense of humor!)

I'm a senior, too. I've earned it, so I don't really dislike it. I only suggested senior centers because more older people have knee and hip replacements. If one needed to know the best place to get strange colors put in your hair, I would suggest a high school.

Hi
I am only 5 weeks post op TKR and like you am in the younger range for KR (49)
I too was scared to death, about the whole process...but hey...I'm now on the other side and it feels good....ok I have bad days but they are getting less and less, the stiffness and swelling are almost a thing of the past, and I almost have normal sensation around my scar. Movement is getting better day by day, and most of all...I AM NOT IN PAIN
I am now walking around the house, up and down stairs unaided..
Due to finding this forum, I bought an exercise bike last week, and am coming on in leaps and bounds.....literally....
I share my milestones with all on here and all I get back is positive encouragement..
The guys and gals on here are already like an extended family, and I only found this site a week ago..!!!!!! They are the best, and give honest advice as we all share the same hopes fears pain anguish etc etc...it's so great to be able to vent your feelings, with someone who actually knows exactly what you are going through.
Please dont worry...it will be fine, and you will be walking them 18 holes soon I'm sure.
Good luck with the surgery......keep in touch
Love and hugs Pat xx

Beach,

You need to ask this girl with the wild hair how much time it takes her to get it like that each morning.

Dave
Did you get my e mail today?
If not I'll resend but its pretty good news dont panic

love and hugs Pat xx

Pat
Yeah I got both of them and once again thanks for all the encouragement. Though I'm not looking forward to this whole process I at least no what to expect. I just wish they wouldn't have scheduled my appointment 7 weeks out so I have to sit around and lament over it for so long. Oh well I'm only a couple of weeks out now...the pressure is building.

Hey Pat - if it's good news, don't keep it to yourself! There are others here who would be grateful for some too!

Hiya,the waiting is the worst part.
Although I did not have to wait to long from having the bombshell dropped of the replacement to the actual op.
I had my op Weds 10th Sept, right knee TKR,allowed home 13th Sept,but released!! into the care of my mother for a couple of weeks,as I to am on the young side,42 and my O/s felt time out was needed.
Now barely a week after the op,I have had my first nights decent sleep for two years,last night managed without having to take any painkillers mid snooze.
I am walking with just one crutch and my physio seems to think I can be crutchless in another couple of weeks.
It is sore and it does get stiff,but the pain I was in has vanished,as will the post op pain eventually.
I am lucky I am having two lots of physio a week and end of the month I will return to hydro therapy,as they are aiming to get me fit to take part in my first sailing race of the season in January.
It is worth while,the pain on the "other side" is nothing I bet to the pain your living with now.
Hope all goes well with you
Nin.

Went for my pre-op physical this morning. All is well for my Sept. 29th surgery. While OS said I could stay on Mobic right up to the surgery date, Internist said it might be better if stopped. I've been without Mobic for 2 days now. My knee is really aching. Anyone see a reason not to start taking it again?
Sandy

Hi Sandy
I'd say if the surgeon says it is ok, I would take it!!! Then the days can fly by .
I'm thinking about you
Judy

Hi Jo
DAB e mailed me and asked about my experience. I mailed back instead of posting on here as he left his address.....and I thought he wanted privacy.
I only shared with him my fears hopes etc etc, as I have already done on here.
Encouragement is vital for all of us as I am only too well aware...
still rockin and rollin on my bike, but had a naff moment last night when I got my knee at the top of the turn and for some reason I lifted my toes up..........holy moses......NOT the best thing to do..it hurt like heck !!!!!!!!!
Still thats another lesson learnt.......
Went to hospital for my 6 week check an the Doc said that he was so pleased with my progress that I could opt for a 3 month check or 12 months !!!!!
I opted for the 3 month as I want to see how things hold out when I get back to work..
All in all...things coming along very nicely..got my party dress and shoes, maybe even will have lost a bit more weight as thats another advantage of getting on the bike....I have lost about 7 lbs since starting.
Life is looking good, and I feel good at the minute.....best thing I ever did to regain my independence was to opt for the surgery.

going now, as I just been on bike, so now I have earned a sit in the sun with a good book

love and hugs Pat xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner