Guest viewing is limited

THR The big day is tomorrow 3/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could shower starting day 2, it made a huge difference in how I felt. Once you get there, it will help. I was discharged 27 hours after admittance and was told it would get a bit worse before getting better. I found that to be true. I was getting chills which the doctor told me is normal. I am nearly 6 weeks out and can hardly believe that things have gone smoothly. I was so nervous in my thoughts of having a hip replacement for so long and it really hasn't been bad at all. Glad things are getting better for you.
 
@Monika66.
Welcome to the other side. You'll be flying it in no time at all.
I'm not sure if you've gotten the Bonesmart mantras so I'll "annoy" @Jaycey and she'll send them on to you I'm sure.
Best wishes Monika.
Joe........
 
@Monika66 yeah, you did it! Congrats on the new hip and am glad that you're doing so well. The first couple of weeks seem to fly by and then you'll be on your way :SUNsmile:
 
Wow! I am so impressed to hear how well you have done! Sounds like you are doing everything right! Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration for me!
 
Thank you everyone for such kind words and support ! Today is day 5, I feel great! My pain is so low that I take over the counter only as needed. I am walking up and down my stairs and use my walker and I feel the strength coming back in my legs. The only problem for me so far has been some muscle cramps when I lift my leg sometimes. I am taking this day by day knowing that real recovery takes time and it does have its ups and downs . But for now things are good .


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I am so impressed to hear how well you have done! Sounds like you are doing everything right! Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration for me!

Thank you Linda O


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem for me so far has been some muscle cramps

Blood loss in surgery is part of the problem. You need to drink a lot more water and stay hydrated. Cramps were a problem with me also. Muscle relaxer meds help also. Good luck!~
 
Muscle cramps are very common post op. Light stretches eased this for me.

Sounds like you are doing great! I will leave your reading list here for you to refer to:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this: Activity progression for THRs

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Sounds like you're doing great Monika! Awesome to hear that you're up and around and feeling good so soon after surgery!
 
Muscle cramps are a "PAIN"! I get them so often now so wondering what will come along after surgery! Has your doctor said anything about your cramps? Anything work for them? Hope your day has gone well for you!
 
Love hearing your progress Monika. It give me encouragement for my upcoming surgery. I can't wait to be able to walk normally again. Keep up what you are doing and keep us posted.
 
Hello I am back, its now been 16 days from my LTHR. I am off all pain meds now for several days. My swelling is miminum, my wound is doing fine but is still sore so keep icing it. I walk on crutches now and have been working with a PT. I really have no complaints, I get to drive on Tuesday. Its nice walking without pain or a limp
 
@Monika66 It's amazing that you are doing so great! Hope things keep looking up for you. [emoji171]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom