THR Thanks for all advice and encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for asking. Took your advice and am staying home. My wife agrees. Thanks to computers I can get a lot of work done from my bed while taking my PT breaks. I have read your recovery story and am so sorry you have to go through this difficulty, and you are so young. Having read a lot on this forum one thing I have discovered is we all see to come through this one way or the other. Your story helped alleviate my fears of infection. Prayed for you this morning.
 
@chipmunk
How's your leg pain, is it still painful. I elevate mine with two pillows under the foot and one under the knee. I found that if the foot wasn't high enough or the knee too straight that my knee swelled up and got a little painful.

Thinking of you and hoping it sorts itself out real soon
Steve
 
Good morning Steve. I have my leg elevated as I type this. When I sleep on my back, every night my foot and toe light up. When I sleep on my side this does not happen. It happened twice last night and I end up sleeping on my side for relief. Wow...it hurts!
Thanks for asking.
By the way, I was looking at your tag, RKA, RKA, and RHR...wow! How are you doing?
 
Good morning Steve. I have my leg elevated as I type this. When I sleep on my back, every night my foot and toe light up. When I sleep on my side this does not happen. It happened twice last night and I end up sleeping on my side for relief. Wow...it hurts!
Thanks for asking.
By the way, I was looking at your tag, RKA, RKA, and RHR...wow! How are you doing?
@chipmunk
I'm doing fine thank you, I'm just over three weeks post op and I'm getting about on one crutch now. My first Knee op was the worst, in those days they put you in a full leg splint for two weeks post op and wouldn't even let you out of bed for ten days. No wonder when I think about it that I had a DVT in the calf muscle. That'll be why they've got me on Clexane self injectors this time :)
 
I am very sorry to hear you had a DVT! I had not heard of Clexane self injection so I watched a video on Youtube. Ouch! I hope you do not have to that too many times. Wish you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.
 
Thank you, it's not as bad as it looks, it's painless but a nuisance because it cause big bruises. I have to do it for the first month every day so another week and I'm done :).
 
Problem. My OS cleared me for cycling so I rode a couple of 20 Mile rides then I did a 30 miler the other day. Hip hurts! Also, I have a small very red hard bump at top of incision. I had a glued incision. I this a infection? Is the pain normal after physical activity? I am 50 days post op of a THR.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Thanks for all advice and encouragement
@chipmunk, I can just about guarantee that your OS did not clear you to cycle 20 and 30 mile rides. You are not even 2 full months post op. What are you thinking, sweetie? Try much shorter rides and build up slowly to these long rides----your hip will thank you by not hurting. Still lots of healing going on inside---and you are just overdoing big time!

I can only suggest that you see your surgeon or his PA about hard red bump.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Bum. Hope I did not do any damage.
 
@chipmunk, you probably have just caused an imflamation flare up in the soft tissues that will resolve with rest, ice, and a lot less cycling at one time.
 
Back on one crutch. Dang. Lying down working. Thank goodness for computers. Thanks for you comforting words.
 
Problem. My OS cleared me for cycling so I rode a couple of 20 Mile rides then I did a 30 miler the other day. Hip hurts!
NO - really? :doh: Are your serious? Have you never heard of 'everything in moderation'?!!
Is the pain normal after physical activity? I am 50 days post op of a THR.
Well yes, especially when you pull of insane stunts like that!

Sorry, don't mean to come over all school ma'am-ish but really - what were you thinking?
Also, I have a small very red hard bump at top of incision. I had a glued incision. I this a infection?
How about a photo?
 
Yes, i do feel like an idiot. He did clear me for cycling and he knows I am a long distant cyclist. But yeah...I know I am the one in charge of my own health and we have to use common sense. I guess he told me what I wanted to hear and off I went. Still very sore, back on a cane. Hoping it is just soft tissue damage. The sore looks much better and I think it was caused from the cycling shorts. Should I go back to my OR for an xray and make sure everything is in its proper place? It is a non glued anterior THR. He told me it was bullet proof.
 
Spoke with my OS and he said it sounds like soft tissue damage and should resolve itself within 10 days or so. That said...this new hip is sooooo much better than the one I had. I would have the surgery again in a minute. Amazing what I can do that I could not do before. I used to have to lay my bike on the ground, step into the bike frame, lift it up half way, step out then put the bike the rest of the way up. Getting off the bike was even worse. When riding in events I would always try to stay on the bike at rest stops. Now....I can get on and off the bike with little effort!!! Amazing. May seem small potatoes to some but for me cycling is a big part of my life and glad to have it back...well almost. A little more time. Thanks Josephine.
 
thanks...sometimes I am the poster child of things not to do after hip surgery other times I am the poster child of a very satisfied customer. Like you kitte picture.
 
Dork alert, Dork alert....do not go on 30 mile bike rides two months after THR. That was a bad idea. I will say this...it was a great ride. Davis California, out in the country, slight rain, birds and trees. But...the pain and anxiety that followed kind of ruined the party. Still in bed, back to a cane. Oh well, better day a' coming. Beautiful dogs Heidi
 
So glad to hear the great changes in how you can approach biking! And hang in there, the slight damage will improve with time and patience.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom