Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tex’s recovery LTKR

Ugh…… I know everyone goes through it but the sleepless nights are driving me insane. Sad thing is I even take 100mg Trazadone every night. I have taken sleeping meds for years because with the PTSD I can’t stay asleep. So wiith those, my pain meds and muscle relaxers, I still lay here and stare into the dark room or at my phone.
 
Unfortunately sleep problems are very much a part of this recovery. Try to nap during the day if you can. Get up and watch TV or read when sleep is allusive. Hope this eases for you soon.
 
Today has been a really rough day. Ice and elevation most of the day. Getting up every hour to walk around the house. Taking pain meds as directed. I am wore out. Between the pain and lack of sleep, I am mentally drained. I also have pain in my ankle, which I have no explanation for. More of a dull exhaustion pain, but rather annoying. Today also marks 3 weeks since the surgery.
 
Last edited:
The post op sleep issues are different from "normal sleep issues." Just try to sleep in installments as much as you can. Naps are good too. I regularly "crashed" by the afternoon and would lie down and fall asleep. Early on when I wasn't sleeping at night I even napped in the morning :heehee:--probably pain med induced.
 
The post op sleep issues are different from "normal sleep issues." Just try to sleep in installments as much as you can. Naps are good too. I regularly "crashed" by the afternoon and would lie down and fall asleep. Early on when I wasn't sleeping at night I even napped in the morning :heehee:--probably pain med induced.
Ya, I think my best sleep is roughly around 7-730am until about 830-9am. I’m usually awake around 330am and can’t fall back asleep until around 7am but it feels like a deep sleep even though it’s so short. The rest of the night feels more like cat naps in 45 min to an hour intervals. Same throughout the day. I’ll catch a short nap here and there but nothing notable.
Honestly I thought with only being 39 (40 this coming Saturday) that this process would be much easier, I am learning the exact opposite may be true.
 
Well, after a almost completely sleepless night I had PT this morning. Didn’t want to go, thought about rescheduling and trying to get a nap in at least but I went. I’m actually glad I did. Started off on a stationary bike. Stayed at my own pace and it really helped loosen up that knee. The exercises that she has me do are more of stretching with little actual exercise. She also measured my flex and extension which was 6° extension and 107° flex. I was quite impressed because I have felt so tight in the knee that I didn’t think I was gonna even get to the measurements from Monday. Under ice and elevation now and gonna try and close my eyes for a nap. Fingers crossed
 
Definitely regretting this surgery today. I’m not sure if PT days are this much worse for everyone or if it’s just me. They aren’t doing anything strenuous or painful in PT but the rest of the day is rough each time. Today is an achy day with times of sharp pain and a very stiff knee. Been resting and icing most of the day but can’t get comfortable for more than 5 mins. This sucks………
 
Any PT this early in recovery is a mistake in my humble opinion @BMCTex. Your knee has suffered major trauma and needs time to heal before you start to rehab. If you broke your leg would you start rehab before the cast was off?
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
At 3 weeks you are going to have some pain no matter what you do. I suggest you follow your doctor's orders. Sounds like you have a good PT that is just getting your knee moving around a bit without causing too much pain.

That giant scar down across your knee and what they did inside is bound to hurt. At some point between 1 or 2 months you should start experiencing some good days as more healing occurs.


What I do is mentally measure my progress week to week. Day to day seems the same, but usually when I look 7 days back I realize I am progressing. For example, this week, I am losing my cane around the house and I got up from watching TV to get a drink and sat down and did not think about my knee. Baby steps!

Stay positive.
 
People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
You are less than a month out @BMCTex. It isn't going to take much for you to feel an elevated pain level. Try to listen to the knee and stop when if an exercise causes intense pain. Some pain is normal but you want to avoid intense. What that point is, is different for everyone.
Ice and elevate after doing exercises or activities.

You will definitely have days when you say "why did I do this?" Even as well prepared as I was, I remember thinking with my second knee "I did this voluntarily? Twice?!" :heehee:
 
The post op sleep issues are different from "normal sleep issues." Just try to sleep in installments as much as you can. Naps are good too. I regularly "crashed" by the afternoon and would lie down and fall asleep. Early on when I wasn't sleeping at night I even napped in the morning :heehee:--probably pain med induced.
Ya, I think my best sleep is roughly around 7-730am until about 830-9am. I’m usually awake around 330am and can’t fall back asleep until around 7am but it feels like a deep sleep even though it’s so short. The rest of the night feels more like cat naps in 45 min to an hour intervals. Same throughout the day. I’ll catch a short nap here and there but nothing notable.
Honestly I thought with only being 39 (40 this coming Saturday) that this process would be much easier, I am learning the exact opposite may be true.
As I read your posts it's amazing how similar we are.
I'm 10 years older than you (I'll be 50 in November) but I thought since I'm "younger" this would be a piece of cake.
Boy was I wrong!
I had my surgery July 22, so we are healing together!
I'll be praying for you. Thank you so much for your service, it's not unnoticed and your sacrifice is admirable.
 
Thank you for your support. Means more than most know. Hope you’re doing well.

So, months ago we had planned a trip this weekend to Dallas for a concert and to hang out for my birthday which is Saturday. Paid for the house and all. I didn’t want to see the money go to waste so we decided to go ahead and come. It’s roughly a 5 hour drive and it was tough. Just kept icing and stopping to get out and walk often. The house we rented has a pool. My incision is completely closed so I didn’t see an issue with getting in the pool, was just really worried about stability. OMG!!!!! That was the most amazing thing I have done. The water was fantastic and the weightless walking felt so good. I didn’t “swim” but I walked around in the pool for about 45 min. I felt normal with the exception of the ROM. The knee didn’t hurt at all while I was in the water and for several hours after. I sat around by the pool visiting with my wife and just enjoying the fact of not being double over in pain. I plan on spending a lot of time in this pool over the weekend. Even slept a little bit better last night, not sure if that had anything to do with the pool but it was nice either way.
 
That's fantastic to hear! Having to put so much of our lives on hold for these surgeries which are supposed to improve our quality of life is maddening, to say the least!
Isn't it amazing how much we appreciate the simple feeling of just not having pain? It's so true, if you don't have your health, you have nothing.
I wish I had a pool to wade in right now, but that's great to know hydro therapy works so well. I may have to have my husband fill a barrel and dangle me in this weekend... :)
Happy birthday!
 
That’s so great that you did well in the pool, and had some normalcy, and relaxed with your wife. I’m sure all that helped you sleep better.

Just a suggestion, don’t do any exercises in the pool, keep it light and relaxed. My PT put me in a pool at 4 weeks post op and it was 50 minutes of countless bending exercises and too much walking (for me) and that combination took me 3 days to recover from the additional pain and swelling.

Enjoy your time away and keep it relaxed.
 
Well, I way over did it at the concert last night and sore as hell today. Taking it really easy with rest ice and elevation today. The concert was amazing, probably the best one I have been to, but being up on my feet (even with the walker and able to sit on it) for 5 hours was rough. Swelling got real bad, even down into my foot. Oddly enough though, I was able to sleep a little better last night. At one point I slept for about 2 1/2 hours. Surprised me lol
 
Sounds like you need a couple of days to recover, but great that you enjoyed the concert.
 
Happy Birthday!
Glad you got to the concert and enjoyed yourself.
I have overdone social life many times, and have paid for it with pain in knee, leg and foot, but stopped all exercise for a few days, and recovered.
Just take it steady, you will get there!!
 
Well, surgeon decided today that he stopped my pain meds. Called in for refill and he said he recommends Tylenol and ibuprofen from here on out. Was a rough night as I ran out yesterday morning and called in right away. Guess the surgeon knows my pain levels better than I do. This has been a horrible experience with pain meds, and 4 weeks out is time to completely stop them. I completely understand the opioid crisis stuff, but what about those who are actually in pain throughout the day and night.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom